Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Cashmere elbow patches

(12 Posts)
fluttERBY123 Tue 06-Oct-26 16:39:13

Patches have arrived. They are backed by some fine lycra. I am also looking for a pack of small decorative patches for one cardi that has a moth hole. They would need to.be.sew on. Does anyone know if iron ons can be used as sew ons?

fluttERBY123 Sun 04-Oct-26 21:47:30

I will let you know, will be a while. Right now I still wear the guilty garment round the house and it has whiskers on the elbows from my inept darning. Darning wool too heavy.

blueblossom Sat 03-Oct-26 16:52:15

I see it exactly the same way. If the cardigan still looks good otherwise with the patches, I’d also be pretty indifferent to whether they last forever. It's possible that the spot will get thin again after a few years. But a few years will have passed by then, after all. It would be a shame to throw it out just because of the two elbows, especially with cashmere.

I’m curious to see what the tailor can do. When you get it back, please let me know. I’d be interested to know if the patches are noticeable during normal wear.

fluttERBY123 Sat 03-Oct-26 15:37:57

Missed your post before posting, blueblossom.

fluttERBY123 Sat 03-Oct-26 15:36:19

True it would wear out again but the cashmere would not hold anything heavier than itself. The patches would double the life of the garment as no other part of it would wear out.

MawsRosie Sat 03-Oct-26 15:20:00

fluttERBY123

The cashmere couldn't hold anything heavier than itself I don't think.

Good point, I wasn't thinking

blueblossom Sat 03-Oct-26 15:05:49

With cashmere, I wouldn’t put anything heavy on the thin sleeves either. Cashmere patches would actually be the obvious choice. I believe they’re actually made specifically for such areas. They’re probably sewn on, perhaps with a bit of reinforcement underneath.

I’d probably go for the same colour. With an older cardigan, I don’t necessarily want the repaired area to stand out. A contrasting colour could work, but it would have to match really well. What does the tailor actually do when there’s hardly any sturdy fabric left around the hole? Let me know how it turns out.

fluttERBY123 Sat 03-Oct-26 14:15:28

The cashmere couldn't hold anything heavier than itself I don't think.

MawsRosie Sat 03-Oct-26 14:13:00

Seems counterintuitive tome- elbow patches are meant to be hard-wearing hence suede, leather, cord etc but cashmere is soft and I can’t see it standing up to the wear it would get.

fluttERBY123 Sat 03-Oct-26 12:14:22

In did think about contrast but have ordered same colours and will get the dry cleaner to sew them on. I am wondering if they have an elbow shaped mould to put the sleeves on while they sew.

JamesandJon33 Sat 03-Oct-26 11:10:39

That’s useful to know. However I usually knit my own elbow patches. Some times in a contrasting colour. I have become quite fond of them.

fluttERBY123 Sat 03-Oct-26 11:07:10

I asked on here a way back about what to do about worn out cashmere cardigan elbows but no useful replies, a first. Knickers, hair restorer and hard toenails no problem. But lo, just googled elbow patches and this is what came up. Going to invest immediately. Just had a thought that AI might be lurking and knows I had been looking at new cardis which is why the cashmere ones popped up. Creepy.