Gransnet forums

AIBU

M&S Christmas

(146 Posts)
greyfur16 Thu 24-Sept-26 13:33:11

I'm alright, I've got a home and will no doubt be including some extras in December.

I am mindful of those who don't.

Oreo Thu 24-Sept-26 13:30:06

Some M & S food items are lovely and some are very mediocre

TillyTrotter Thu 24-Sept-26 13:27:00

And … you are free to hold / write an opinion greyfur
but it came across as judgemental.

Oreo Thu 24-Sept-26 13:26:50

Just booked my Christmas slot 🎄😊

TillyTrotter Thu 24-Sept-26 13:23:14

Petrina 😁

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Sept-26 13:21:52

greyfur16

I'm not accusing anybody of anything.

That wasn’t how your post of 12.33 came across 🤷‍♀️

greyfur16 Thu 24-Sept-26 13:19:42

I'm not accusing anybody of anything.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Sept-26 13:17:50

greyfur16

Is it me....or is this just endless bragging? Many people do not have access to funds to go to farm shops and buy fizz.

As I am the poster that mentions fizz are you accusing me of bragging?

I will not justify the items on my order which secure my Christmas delivery.

When I know our arrangements over the festive season I will amend my order accordingly. It may or may not contain fizz, it will contain heavy items like cleaning supplies along with canned and dried goods.

I also may or may not purchase Christmas foods from M & S.

greyfur16 Thu 24-Sept-26 12:33:26

Is it me....or is this just endless bragging? Many people do not have access to funds to go to farm shops and buy fizz.

Graphite Thu 24-Sept-26 12:16:12

I have never understood quite why M&S is held in my regard.

I think you meant “high” but your meaning is understood.

Back in the day before we could pay someone to shop for us, when Christmas Eve was a crowded rush to buy food and if you got there too late the shelves could be empty, I recall someone saying …

If Tesco has run out of what you want, you blame them for not stocking enough. If M&S has run out of what you want, you blame yourself for not getting there on time.

That has always signified to me the way people regard M&S as somehow superior to every other store. The power of marketing, I suppose and the Dervla Kirwan … This is not just food … voiceover.

I’ve never understood it either other than that their prices ensure poorer people shop elsewhere. Waitrose is the same.

Witzend Thu 24-Sept-26 12:02:47

Except for usually a FR turkey, I buy very little specifically Christmas food at M&S, maybe smoked salmon and cream cheese for the bagels, lots of fresh orange juice for the Bucks Fizz….

I make my own stuffing, pigs in blankets, 🎄puds and mince pies, and do usually buy a big piece of gammon from Waitrose - it often lasts well into January.

Petrina Thu 24-Sept-26 11:51:40

TillyTrotter

I’ll still buy M&S Christmas food - but less of it. We eat too much at Christmas if it’s in the house, and I must admit to having to throw some away because I over-buy.
So the plan is to (try to) rein myself in!

Remember, a turkey is for life not just for Christmas.

M0nica Thu 24-Sept-26 11:44:46

You get what you pay for. When we moved house I moved my main shop from Waitrose to Lidl because Lidl was nearer. Bit by bit I am buying more items from Waitrose again because the quality is better.

I have never understood quite why M&S is held in my regard. I now have a smallish M&S to hand as well now. I have been less than impressed by their food. Yes, it isn't bargain basement quality food, but it certainly doesn't justify its reputation.

This Christmas, as always, all the meat will come from a farm shop. Organic free-range bronze turkey, sausagemeat, gammon joint and bacon from the same source.

Cake, mince pies (and mincemeat), pudding, turkey stuffing etc willall be produced in-house. DGD wants us to make our own raised pork pie this year. We did it once before, but it was time consuming

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 11:27:05

kittylester

Sounds ok, GG.

😂😂

kittylester Thu 24-Sept-26 11:23:43

Sounds ok, GG.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Sept-26 11:22:10

JenniRen

Just had a communication from Waitrose advising me to book my Christmas slot!

Booked my Christmas Waitrose shop yesterday morning.

What I must remember to do is go back and amend it nearer the time or all that we shall have is beer, wine, fizz and cleaning products…

TillyTrotter Thu 24-Sept-26 11:11:16

I’ll still buy M&S Christmas food - but less of it. We eat too much at Christmas if it’s in the house, and I must admit to having to throw some away because I over-buy.
So the plan is to (try to) rein myself in!

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 11:04:36

I’ve had from Ocado.

Personally, if you can afford it and you to, then why not indulge yourself once a year?

My DM always paid for our Christmas fare, which came from a combination of Donald Russel and M&S. I’ve done the same in her memory (& using “her” cash initially) and will do the same this year.

I put money aside every month, every year, specifically for Christmas.

Susan56 Thu 24-Sept-26 11:02:09

I agree Elaine.We seem to shop less and less at M&S.
Other supermarkets have very similar items, just as tasty and at a much more reasonable price.

JenniRen Thu 24-Sept-26 10:51:19

Just had a communication from Waitrose advising me to book my Christmas slot!

ElaineI Thu 24-Sept-26 10:48:38

Just got the M&S email re Christmas food.
All looks very nice but at a price! I no longer feel I can justify such a cost and it's not even the end of September yet so too soon to think about Christmas!
Anyone else given up on these expensive prices and moved to a cheaper local supermarket?