Gransnet forums

AIBU

M&S Christmas

(147 Posts)
ElaineI Thu 24-Sept-26 10:48:38

Just got the M&S email re Christmas food.
All looks very nice but at a price! I no longer feel I can justify such a cost and it's not even the end of September yet so too soon to think about Christmas!
Anyone else given up on these expensive prices and moved to a cheaper local supermarket?

Daddima Thu 24-Sept-26 16:26:38

GrannyGravy13

Daddima

As I am having a very industrious day, I priced this Christmas dinner from Waitrose as mentioned in the above publication. For 6 people, a total of £168, so £28 a head.

Yesterday I got a ‘ Heat in the House’ email from our local (excellent) hotel, offering three courses for £25.

Is that £25 on Christmas Day, or just the days leading up to Christmas?

You cannot get a three course meal for £25 at any time in any hotels in this area.

It is a pre-prepared takeaway meal for you to heat up at home. Their Christmas Day menu ( albeit a bit more extensive) is £85 in the hotel.

I think it’s a great idea for solo or even couple diners who fancy a Christmas dinner.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Sept-26 16:03:48

Daddima

As I am having a very industrious day, I priced this Christmas dinner from Waitrose as mentioned in the above publication. For 6 people, a total of £168, so £28 a head.

Yesterday I got a ‘ Heat in the House’ email from our local (excellent) hotel, offering three courses for £25.

Is that £25 on Christmas Day, or just the days leading up to Christmas?

You cannot get a three course meal for £25 at any time in any hotels in this area.

Daddima Thu 24-Sept-26 16:00:10

As I am having a very industrious day, I priced this Christmas dinner from Waitrose as mentioned in the above publication. For 6 people, a total of £168, so £28 a head.

Yesterday I got a ‘ Heat in the House’ email from our local (excellent) hotel, offering three courses for £25.

Visgir1 Thu 24-Sept-26 15:52:24

Both M&S and Waitrose orders booked.
For me one less thing to do, pre food shopping at Christmas is not one I enjoy doing. I normally have between 7-12 mouths to feed on Christmas day so M&S is a no brainer for me.

Harris27 Thu 24-Sept-26 15:50:27

I shop at aldi and treats from m&S especially at Christmas.

Daddima Thu 24-Sept-26 15:36:13

This arrived with my online delivery!

Fallingstar Thu 24-Sept-26 15:33:04

Casdon

M&S is definitely the best option if you’re gluten free, they do things nobody else does, and are excellent at Christmas if you don’t want to faff about making different food to everybody else’s at home.
Just one example is their fish fingers, which are the only cod version available that I’ve found, and are big, with lots of fish in.

Agree with this.
Our SiL is celiac and we always order stuff for him from Marks, gluten free stuff is pricey everywhere so may as well get it at Marks.

Samsara1 Thu 24-Sept-26 15:15:15

I have placed my Ocado order and did just do a double take at some prices but here too it's just us two - nobody coming and we are spending Christmas Day and Boxing Day at our youngest daughter's in her new house. Its her first post divorce Christmas so she intends to push the boat out and we shall help her. I shall mix mine up a bit with Sainsbury as we have one nearby but no Waitrose. I do like to have it delivered so happy (not happy but resigned) to pay the £10 delivery charge.

Erica23 Thu 24-Sept-26 15:09:14

I fancied the black forest gateaux until I saw it was £30 ! Says it serves ten but we all know that means six 😉

JenniRen Thu 24-Sept-26 15:01:38

You can be a canny shopper in any supermarket, especially if you use a club card.
I know some may not want to use them of course.

M0nica Thu 24-Sept-26 14:58:03

greyfur16

Is it me....or is this just endless bragging? Many people do not have access to funds to go to farm shops and buy fizz.

Why is it bragging? I speak of my life as I live it. I have always given the quality of the food I feed my family and guests highest priority, regardless of my income, because our life and health depends on it. There was a report published only last week that showed that the more UPFs you consume in your diet the higher your risk of having strokes and heart disease.

UPFs in our diet are the result of chasing cheaper and cheaper food regardless of the effect it has on us. If I thought it was only the poorest people who did that it would be understandable, but it isn't, it is the majority of people in the country, most of whom can afford to pay more. It may mean cutting back on other things - clothes, holidays etc. We all make our own decisions and I have made mine.

Graphite Thu 24-Sept-26 14:56:27

People have been persuaded by the media - that certain stores are upmarket and some are not. That is reflected in prices if not quality.

I eat a plant-based diet so I don’t buy meat or fish and cannot comment on comparative quality for those things.

I do buy most of my food in street and village hall markets, ethnic shops and farm shops (because I have two very close by who grow a lot of their own produce so they cut out the middlemen which keeps prices competitive).

If I do use a supermarket, no particular brand, just wherever I happen to be, I notice little difference in quality. If I were doing a big shop, why would I want to spend £60 more for similar items?

But Christmas is different. People seek a bit of luxury for themselves and their guests. If M&S and Waitrose provide that, why not?

When there was a Waitrose locally I would often buy their uncut bread. At the time, it did seem nicer than other vendors. It was good for gifts of wine too but I think other stores have now caught up in terms of quality. I have seen Aldi wines on recommended lists.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 24-Sept-26 14:45:22

greyfur16

Is it me....or is this just endless bragging? Many people do not have access to funds to go to farm shops and buy fizz.

Are posters not allowed to talk about anything their funds allow greyfur? What about:

Cruises?
A new electric car?
Theatre tickets?

Why should people who have disposable incomes to indulge in suchlike have to justify or check themselves?

Bragging?
I don’t see it tgat way, sorry.

If I begrudged them such niceties they wouldn’t swing over to me anyway, so why carp?

I don’t get it.

Yes it’d be wonderful if we could all join in with such things but life isn’t like that.

Fallingstar Thu 24-Sept-26 14:36:42

We have Ocado and get some M&S goodies along with our ordinary groceries. I need to book my slot for Christmas, they keep reminding me. Will get some M&S food that we usually wouldn’t buy as a treat for us all. Has been a horrible couple of years and I feel we need to splash out a bit this year. But not outrageously. We still need to pay our heating bills etc.

JenniRen Thu 24-Sept-26 14:34:36

Whitewavemark2

Our whole family gets together at Christmas, and it is my job to provide the pudding course. I make the Christmas pudding, but buy stuff from M&S or Waitrose - depending on what I fancy.

I am not adverse from buying from anywhere really. It depends on the ingredients, reviews etc.

The main thing is - I don’t have to prepare them, for upwards of 20 people.

I make the pudding but now it's M&S and/or Waitrose at Christmas and thankfully don't have to cater at my house on Christmas Day any more.

Everything used to be made from scratch, Christmas cake and puddings in half-term, but not any more.
When is half-term anyway?

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 14:23:29

Usedtobeblonde

Caviar for 25 anyone, £195?😉

My DF absolutely loved caviar. I find it far too salty, lobster however …..

MartavTaurus Thu 24-Sept-26 14:21:53

Cossy

MartavTaurus

Well I'll brag and tell everyone I'm going over to France in December to buy my fizz, cheeses and chocolates. (Because I'm worth it).

Plenty of people can afford posh stuff, but if they dare to mention sonething they like, it's always seen by some as boasting on here.

Yay!! Enjoy 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

Taking orders, if you like!

Usedtobeblonde Thu 24-Sept-26 14:11:35

Caviar for 25 anyone, £195?😉

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 14:10:13

MartavTaurus

Well I'll brag and tell everyone I'm going over to France in December to buy my fizz, cheeses and chocolates. (Because I'm worth it).

Plenty of people can afford posh stuff, but if they dare to mention sonething they like, it's always seen by some as boasting on here.

Yay!! Enjoy 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

MartavTaurus Thu 24-Sept-26 14:00:43

Well I'll brag and tell everyone I'm going over to France in December to buy my fizz, cheeses and chocolates. (Because I'm worth it).

Plenty of people can afford posh stuff, but if they dare to mention sonething they like, it's always seen by some as boasting on here.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Sept-26 13:58:13

Our whole family gets together at Christmas, and it is my job to provide the pudding course. I make the Christmas pudding, but buy stuff from M&S or Waitrose - depending on what I fancy.

I am not adverse from buying from anywhere really. It depends on the ingredients, reviews etc.

The main thing is - I don’t have to prepare them, for upwards of 20 people.

Casdon Thu 24-Sept-26 13:56:35

M&S is definitely the best option if you’re gluten free, they do things nobody else does, and are excellent at Christmas if you don’t want to faff about making different food to everybody else’s at home.
Just one example is their fish fingers, which are the only cod version available that I’ve found, and are big, with lots of fish in.

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 13:46:47

greyfur16

Is it me....or is this just endless bragging? Many people do not have access to funds to go to farm shops and buy fizz.

Not a kind remark, I’ve noticed no bragging on here, just what people have at Christmas for treats.

Some of us might budget all year to get what we love at Christmas.

I rarely drink nor smoke, but others might do and cut down in other areas.

We don’t buy more than we will eat, but I do buy extremely good quality meat and some nice “treats”.

They’ll be people on here, and in RL , who won’t be able to afford to do this and (for me) that’s sad, but me not buying the things we can afford and really enjoy, isn’t going to help them? 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 24-Sept-26 13:35:51

For those with lots of social & family arrangements I think you have to secure a slot now?
I've gone back to shopping in person for Christmas & love the cut and thrust!
I still like to squirrel & hoard too.
Especially good for brain training - trying to remember hidey holes.

Charleygirl5 Thu 24-Sept-26 13:33:24

i only drink M&S instant coffee so every few months I do an Ocado/M&S order. I always add treats but I look carefully at prices. Everyday long life whole milk 1 litre is priced at £1.35 which I think is outrageous as Sainsbury and Morrison's sell it for 95p so quite a difference.

I now eat less meat, but I do enjoy M&S sirloin steak which isn't too expensive as I have 1/2 on two nights. Their salads are decent portions and very different. A nice treat now and again but I ccouldn't afford to shop there frequently.