Gransnet forums

AIBU

M&S Christmas

(147 Posts)
ElaineI Thu 24-Sept-26 10:48:38

Just got the M&S email re Christmas food.
All looks very nice but at a price! I no longer feel I can justify such a cost and it's not even the end of September yet so too soon to think about Christmas!
Anyone else given up on these expensive prices and moved to a cheaper local supermarket?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Sept-26 08:58:36

MartavTaurus

Just use Deliveroo instead! No £40. Though it's not really for big quantities.

I have never used Deliveroo, Ubereats etc., perhaps that should be my next mission 😹

MartavTaurus Fri 25-Sept-26 08:55:25

Just use Deliveroo instead! No £40. Though it's not really for big quantities.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Sept-26 08:54:23

Oops 🙋‍♀️

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Sept-26 08:54:06

Crossed posts Graphite this has been explained multiple times in this thread, by yourself, myself and others.

Graphite Fri 25-Sept-26 08:52:50

Crossed posts explaining the same thing. Apologies.

Graphite Fri 25-Sept-26 08:52:16

I think you are misunderstanding how it works.

You put a minimum of £40 of items in the basket to secure the delivery slot but you can change your order at any time up to a cut off point just before your order goes to staff to pick and pack.

You are not charged until shortly before delivery when the precise cost of your shopping is know e.g. if some items are unavailable or substitutions are made that cost less.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Sept-26 08:48:30

greyfur yes you do have to order goods to the value of £40.

But and it is a big but, they do not take ANY money from your bank account until the day of delivery.

This applies to all supermarket orders/deliveries.

greyfur16 Fri 25-Sept-26 08:43:26

Daddima

greyfur16

GrannyGravy13

greyfur16

To bag a Waitrose slot, you need to have £40.00 on hand to save your place,you probably need a car and some basic IT skills.

Not everybody has these things. Never mind, I'll crawl back under my rock.

You do not pay anything until the day of delivery.

Why do you need a car for a food delivery?

If you can post on GN and/or used home deliveries during Covid you can secure a Christmas delivery slot.

You need to have £40.00 pounds in a bank account to grab the slot.

Can I ask how you believe Waitrose know how much you have in a bank account?

You book a slot and secure it by buying £40.00 worth of goods. You can change your order at a later date.

I was wrong about the car.

Not everybody can order on line and spare £40.00.

Never mind.

Daddima Fri 25-Sept-26 08:10:35

greyfur16

GrannyGravy13

greyfur16

To bag a Waitrose slot, you need to have £40.00 on hand to save your place,you probably need a car and some basic IT skills.

Not everybody has these things. Never mind, I'll crawl back under my rock.

You do not pay anything until the day of delivery.

Why do you need a car for a food delivery?

If you can post on GN and/or used home deliveries during Covid you can secure a Christmas delivery slot.

You need to have £40.00 pounds in a bank account to grab the slot.

Can I ask how you believe Waitrose know how much you have in a bank account?

Dickens Fri 25-Sept-26 01:16:41

dragonfly46

They do still sell the rustic rolls!

Oh! Thank you! smile

nadateturbe Fri 25-Sept-26 00:10:13

To answer the OP most of our fruit veg and meat is bought in Marks. Our other shopping is Sainsbury's. I never thought of M&S as expensive. We don't have Waitrose in NI.

dragonfly46 Thu 24-Sept-26 23:39:34

I have booked my Ocado slot but as I am not sure what is happening at Christmas yet I am not ordering anything from M&S as they require a deposit. I can cancel the Ocado one.

dragonfly46 Thu 24-Sept-26 23:37:53

They do still sell the rustic rolls!

Dickens Thu 24-Sept-26 23:12:39

Graphite

When there was a Waitrose locally I would often buy their uncut bread. At the time, it did seem nicer than other vendors.

When my late partner and I first got together, we would stop on the drive home from work to shop mid-way in Waitrose - he too liked their uncut bread. There were, at the time, large bread-rolls labelled "Rustic" on offer - frequently sold out because they were so good. We'd load them up with, maybe chicken tikka or salmon, and, with salad, they became our 'instant' comfort-food on those evening when we both worked late.

I feel a wave of nostalgia for that over-ground, brightly-lit car-park on foggy evenings leading to the steps down into the supermarket hall underground - the smell from the bakery, and the clinking of wine-bottles as customers pulled them from the shelves, or the staff loaded them up.

It was the Esher-branch of Waitrose which, I suspect, looks quite different now to the way it did in the early 90s. And I doubt they still sell those Rustic rolls.

Dickens Thu 24-Sept-26 22:33:19

Casdon

M&S is definitely the best option if you’re gluten free, they do things nobody else does, and are excellent at Christmas if you don’t want to faff about making different food to everybody else’s at home.
Just one example is their fish fingers, which are the only cod version available that I’ve found, and are big, with lots of fish in.

Just one example is their fish fingers, which are the only cod version available that I’ve found, and are big, with lots of fish in.

Hey - thanks for that info Casdon - I'd given up on fish-fingers but will now try those!

M0nica Thu 24-Sept-26 22:23:21

I am always amazed how judgemental unjudgemental people are.

Dickens Thu 24-Sept-26 22:20:51

JenniRen

Just had a communication from Waitrose advising me to book my Christmas slot!

shock

Jaxjacky Thu 24-Sept-26 22:00:58

To answer the OP, I’ve never been as M&S food shopper for quantity, I might buy the odd item if I’m in our local food hall collecting something else ordered.
Our main shop will be Tesco, then the local butcher and the farm shop, it’s a couple of days with a roast.
Gammon (won in a meat draw, from the butcher) already in the freezer.

Wyllow3 Thu 24-Sept-26 21:45:56

If someone wants to judge well I don't care.

sodapop Thu 24-Sept-26 21:44:23

Seems to be a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't on this thread.

Wyllow3 Thu 24-Sept-26 21:44:02

I picked up a glossy Christmas catalogue at M and S when I was collecting a clothes item today. Their non meat dairy or vegan based stuff looks really good this year. Yum!

I'll be getting bits and bobs of it. Time for a bit of a treat. And easy, the smallish food hall is just down the road. I like their deli stuff and don't eat a lot anyway. A sort of pick and mix choice. Its me or me and a friend.

Graphite Thu 24-Sept-26 21:20:44

This thread reminds me of when I was studying for a professional qualification. Sometimes, when I got something wrong, my tutor would write in the margin RTQ - Read The Question. The question here was:

“Anyone else given up on these expensive [M&S] prices and moved to a cheaper local supermarket?”

I really don’t care where people shop. It’s a free country and, as I said, statistics show that M&S has a very small share of the grocery market even at Christmas so clearly most people do already shop somewhere cheaper.

I defy anyone to tell the difference between an Aldi or an M&S Brussels sprout or, after their fifth glass of Prosecco, to say whether it came from Lidl or Waitrose. The farting during the King’s speech and the hangover next day will be of the same magnitude.

rafichagran Thu 24-Sept-26 20:51:26

I will do my Christnas shopping at Marks, Sainsburys, and Tesco. The last two I will buy my Christmas shopping with Nectar and Club card points. My cake will be black cake made by a Jamaican relative of my partners this us expensive and very alcoholic.

I have had Christmases in the past where we had to make do, the children enjoyed them though. Now I am not in the same position I will have what I want.

I think Greyfur you are wrong to bring comparisons into this. We have the Christmas we want and it is not about comparing.

MawsRosie Thu 24-Sept-26 20:30:02

greyfur16

To bag a Waitrose slot, you need to have £40.00 on hand to save your place,you probably need a car and some basic IT skills.

Not everybody has these things. Never mind, I'll crawl back under my rock.

Whatever are you thinking?
£40 (or whatever the minimum order is ) for Christmas delivery , but its not taken until the order is fulfilled.
And why would you need a car for a delivery ? The clue is in the descriptor and as for basic IT skills, if you can post on GN you can book an internet shop.
I do one every week.
To book a Christmas slot, book an order for anything you like , 6 bottles of champagne for example but don’t forget to go into your order before the cut off date/time and amend it to what you actually really want
If you forget to do that, Christmas Dinner is likely to be light on the turkey and plum pudding, but at least you’ll have the champagne to console you! 🤣🤣🤣

Deedaa Thu 24-Sept-26 20:29:05

I get staff discount at Waitrose and M&S but I do most of my Christmas shopping in Aldi. There are 7 of us so I find one of their turkey breast joints and a small ham is plenty, along with some pigs in blankets. I make my own cranberry sauce which is way better than shop bought. Aldi do some very nice Christmas puddings but I make my own cake and mince pies.