Gransnet forums

AIBU

Blackout curtains

(37 Posts)
honeyrose Mon 21-Sept-26 10:59:53

Does anyone find that blackout curtains are effective in keeping out the sun, please? Our bedroom window faces east and so the room is extremely bright on sunny summer mornings (which I’m not complaining about!). My DH, however, doesn’t sleep well so needs a bit more darkness in the room. Our bedroom curtains are cream with cream linings and are medium thick and the sun streams through them - which I love, but DH would like a bit more screening from the intense light in the summer. I don’t particularly want us both to sleep in the back bedroom, which faces west.

MT62 Tue 22-Sept-26 20:31:51

See how bright this WiFi thing was

MT62 Tue 22-Sept-26 20:29:38

Boadicea

I find this very useful when travelling as some hotels/B & Bs have their windows dressed purely for aesthetics, not practicality!

Oh where did you buy those?

MT62 Tue 22-Sept-26 20:21:11

Boadicea

I find this very useful when travelling as some hotels/B & Bs have their windows dressed purely for aesthetics, not practicality!

I stayed in an air b & b recently.
I let mum take the bedroom, I took the sofa bed in the lounge.
I was horrified to find no blinds, or curtains at the windows (high up in a block of flats) owner probably thought none were needed.
Oh, also WiFi thing on the high window sil omitting a bright blue light so I shoved Sharon (Osborne) biography in front of that ha.
Had my old faithful eye mask with me thank goodness.

Oldnproud Tue 22-Sept-26 20:02:46

East facing bedroom here too.

I have a blackout rollerblind behind my curtains.
Some some light still comes in above and below it, but that suits me as i dont want total darkness.

Depending on the time of year and how bright the early mornings are I can lower it to different levels to allow through an amount of light that i am happy with.

Norah Tue 22-Sept-26 18:52:11

I made roman shades, perfect fit inside the windows, blackout lined. Raise easily and they're quite unobtrusive when up.

PamelaJ1 Tue 22-Sept-26 18:48:01

We have stick on window blinds from blinds2go. So easy, just stick on the glass.

Boadicea Tue 22-Sept-26 18:07:14

I find this very useful when travelling as some hotels/B & Bs have their windows dressed purely for aesthetics, not practicality!

1summer Tue 22-Sept-26 17:52:21

I bought a made to measure black out blind. Fits perfect and you get no light seepage at all. Its in the grandchildren’s room.

crazyH Tue 22-Sept-26 15:48:29

Vertical blinds , over that black-out Roman blinds , over that black-out curtains - I need total darkness to sleep.
My Roman Blinds are 2” over window edge top, side and bottom

NannySarge Tue 22-Sept-26 15:46:22

I've used attachable blackout linings from John Lewis. They use curtain hooks to attach to the same loops as your curtains. I put them in two bedrooms as I like the curtains I have but they weren't dark enough. Work very well for me.

Boadicea Tue 22-Sept-26 15:38:20

MT62

Jaxjacky

We use blackout curtains, a blackout blind and I wear a mask! East facing bedroom too, that lot usually works.

Going to refer you as Jacular 😂
I am the same everything pitch black, no ticking clocks, or LED lights on TVs, chargers, etc.

Yep, me too!
And no crumbs in the bed as I'm like the princess and the pea!

Boadicea Tue 22-Sept-26 15:35:55

MT62

OldFrill

I use a magnetic blackout blind (from Amazon £12 ish). Cut the material to size. Attach the self adhesive, silver magnets to the window frame and blind, pop it on at night and off in the morning, takes seconds.

My window faces west and this cuts out the extreme heat and glare of the setting sun.

I sleep with the window open but if you were to put the magnets on the frame rather than the window there would be less leakage. As it is, with my lined curtains, my room is almost completely dark.

Photo of the blind and another showing the magnets on the window.

What a beautiful view

I was going to say the same thing!
Oh, how I miss living by the sea!

Jaxjacky Tue 22-Sept-26 15:04:08

MT62

Jaxjacky

We use blackout curtains, a blackout blind and I wear a mask! East facing bedroom too, that lot usually works.

Going to refer you as Jacular 😂
I am the same everything pitch black, no ticking clocks, or LED lights on TVs, chargers, etc.

About right!😎

vintageclassics Tue 22-Sept-26 14:23:43

Yes they do keep out the light and the heat - we also have venetian blinds on the front North East facing windows - it really does help

Romola Tue 22-Sept-26 14:08:49

For the bedrooms of GC in Scotland, where it hardly gets dark in mid-summer, we bought ready-made blackout liners that attach to existing curtains. Not perfectly light-extruding but reasonably priced, convenient and good enough.

honeyrose Tue 22-Sept-26 12:56:36

Thanks everyone - some great advice there. I’m sure an eye mask would help too - apart from whatever I decide to do regarding blackout solutions. I never thought of that!

MT62 Mon 21-Sept-26 22:08:47

Grammaretto

MT62 that's what happens when the fitter fits them! Can I take them off?
Actually I'm about to move house so the new people can deal with them.

The new house has vertical Venetian blinds everywhere 😟

Sorry for the late reply- yes you could take them off but if you are moving just leave them in place.
It’s a safety thing for young toddlers.

Grammaretto Mon 21-Sept-26 16:46:57

MT62 that's what happens when the fitter fits them! Can I take them off?
Actually I'm about to move house so the new people can deal with them.

The new house has vertical Venetian blinds everywhere 😟

MT62 Mon 21-Sept-26 16:35:38

Grammaretto

I have Dunelm blackout blinds in my bedroom which faces East and South (dual aspect!)
Dunelm fitted them but I hadn't realised they have a built in a safety device so only pull in short sections.

The magnetic ones sound much quicker.

On the other hand they are very effective so I'm not complaining.

Do you mean that thing the chain goes through screwed into the wall?
We never fitted ours. The chain hangs loose.

MT62 Mon 21-Sept-26 16:32:32

Jaxjacky

We use blackout curtains, a blackout blind and I wear a mask! East facing bedroom too, that lot usually works.

Going to refer you as Jacular 😂
I am the same everything pitch black, no ticking clocks, or LED lights on TVs, chargers, etc.

MT62 Mon 21-Sept-26 16:29:09

OldFrill

I use a magnetic blackout blind (from Amazon £12 ish). Cut the material to size. Attach the self adhesive, silver magnets to the window frame and blind, pop it on at night and off in the morning, takes seconds.

My window faces west and this cuts out the extreme heat and glare of the setting sun.

I sleep with the window open but if you were to put the magnets on the frame rather than the window there would be less leakage. As it is, with my lined curtains, my room is almost completely dark.

Photo of the blind and another showing the magnets on the window.

What a beautiful view

butterandjam Mon 21-Sept-26 13:13:37

We live in the far north where summer nights are very light. Our bedroom curtains are all made with full blackout linings
( cream coloured; blackout material doesn't need to be black) but there is a little light seepage at the top where they hang proud of the wall on rings on a pole. The bedroom is dark enough but not pitch black like a cave or coal mine..

If you need pitch black darkness, you' might need blackout blinds covering the whole of each window frame ( top bottom and both sides)

Grammaretto Mon 21-Sept-26 12:45:41

I have Dunelm blackout blinds in my bedroom which faces East and South (dual aspect!)
Dunelm fitted them but I hadn't realised they have a built in a safety device so only pull in short sections.

The magnetic ones sound much quicker.

On the other hand they are very effective so I'm not complaining.

M0nica Mon 21-Sept-26 12:23:32

Could you fit a blackout blind behind the curtains?

Tenko Mon 21-Sept-26 12:22:23

I’m with CarrotTop. Most roller blinds have light leakage at the sides . For full darkness you need the blinds which fit into a grove all around the windows . They’re expensive.
We have velux blackout blinds in our loft extension and they’re really good .