My DD phoned our surgery on 30/12 at 11am and was told she could see a GP at 2pm. I know this was unusual, but as she’d been discharged from hospital the previous Saturday it was most welcome.
HMRC slightly angry is an understatement
Sign up to Gransnet Daily
Our free daily newsletter full of hot threads, competitions and discounts
Subscribe
To long do you expect to wait before being able to see your Doctor? I have been given an appointment 4 weeks away. When I questioned this I was told to go to A and E at my local hospital! This seems totally unreasonable! I have no means of transport to get to A and E !
My DD phoned our surgery on 30/12 at 11am and was told she could see a GP at 2pm. I know this was unusual, but as she’d been discharged from hospital the previous Saturday it was most welcome.
My Gp has an online booking system for non- urgent appts, there are never ever any appts to book 😡 If it's something simple like a chest infection I usually ask for a Nurse Practitioner appt as I know they will refer to Gp if need be
If I need an appointment and it's not urgent I look online and check when the next appointment is available and book it myself. If my designated Dr is not available soon enough I can book with another dr in the practice. If I need an urgent appointment then a phone call can usually find one on the same day for me. If a Doctor is not available I can see one of the Nurse Practicioners, who will assess and ask the Doctor to see me anyway if necessary. I am lucky to have such a good Practice in my area.
It’s easier to get an audience with the Pope than get through tithe surgery.
You call at 8am, there are at least 2 minutes of stuff, basically telling you not to call unless you are dead. If you are, go to A&E or call 111.
If you survive the “advice” you are told you are #472 in the queue. By the time you reach #41, you are unceremoniously cut off.
It isn’t possible to book online.
If you go in person, you are told to telephone.
I’m so very glad that I am in good health 🙏🤞
I called 111 as I had concerns and they made be a GP appointment direct for that day. Who knew they could do that?
Cambsnan
I called 111 as I had concerns and they made be a GP appointment direct for that day. Who knew they could do that?
I think the Surgeries are holding back appointments for those people who ring 111 and are deemed to be urgent.
I phoned at 8am this morning and instead of the 2 minute preamble the voice immediately said that ‘due to Winter pressures’ there are no appointments available for today, however if urgent contact 111.
They must have a few blocked off for these people.
fidelity2
It's because of gp/ receptionist attitudes of * go to A&E" that my local hospital has a 50 hour wait in their department!
I have just spoken to a GP, I did the eConsult exactly a month ago. It was about a change in prescription but other things have been dealt with much more quickly. If I was worried I would ring 111.
I attended in person and requested an appointment on 21/12 my appointment is on 16/01 At least it's face to face so she will be able to examine the problem
I desperately need an appointment in 2 weeks time for a blood test which is specialised in Cardiff. The result has to be with my Haematology Consultant by 25 January but was told by the receptionist that the dates for booking the appointment’had not been released yet’. Bring back the diary system and bin the calendar on the screen
We can only access services via econsult or the website for routine checks ( asthma nurse, blood tests, vaccines, routine ECGs etc) . If whoever triages the econsult form thinks it’s urgent they telephone or request you to attend - usually same or next day. It might be slower at the moment!
ayse
I’ve used e-consult now at least 3 times. Twice I’ve been issued with a prescription and on one occasion I was sent for an X-ray and blood tests. My doctor received the results, called me and suggested I contacted our local physiotherapy NHS hub, which I did. I received and appointment 3weeks hence but was later offered a cancellation.
I like e-consult as a reply or appointment us arranged within 24 hours. However, I feel great concern for those who are unable to go down this route or who do not know about it. It isn’t good enough to have to wait 4 weeks or to go to A&E. We’re fortunate here that we already have drop in centres and I’m hoping we will have minor injuries clinics as well in the not too distant future.
I definitely support the government’s new plans for the NHS, especially back to the future when you see your GP, not just any GP.
I always use e-consult because I think once it’s actually in writing the doctor can’t ignore, so I always use it, and always get a satisfactory result.
As to the “new plans for NHS” they can propose but it’s another thing carrying it out. It’s unrealistic at the moment. Insufficient staff for one thing.
Usually I can get a gp appointment within a week or so and I don't have to wait too long in the office. Seeing a specialist is another story. I waited 5 months to see an endo dr. although I called every one in the area.
Grammaretto I just called the surgery for an update to be told that the doctor isn’t in until Friday! No one has access to the photos I sent but him. Why didn’t he say something when we spoke last Friday? I’m really ticked off by this laissez faire attitude. If it turns out to be serious, I may have to get Marydoll in my corner!
NannyC1
fidelity2
It's because of gp/ receptionist attitudes of * go to A&E" that my local hospital has a 50 hour wait in their department!
... mine - Gloucestershire Royal, last week had a 'critical incident' with, I think, around 22 ambulances queuing outside, and a plea not to attend unless the situation was serious or life-threatening.
... but a clinician at 111 still told me to go to A&E...
Even when the winter months are over, I can't see much will improve. Anytime I or anyone I know has had reason to attend A&E it's always the same, "due to unprecedented demand, etc, etc..." It doesn't matter which month, day, or what time you call - they are always working under duress.
A friend's elderly relative had to wait 6 hours for an ambulance after being hit by a car... lying on the side of the road with concerned shop-keepers, etc, trying to keep him warm and comfortable.
My OH months ago fell in the shower and had to wait nearly 7 hours for an ambulance. He was face down, couldn't move and his ribs were cracked because he fell over the rim of the shower-tray. He was graded as a Level 2 Emergency. Only when his breathing became shallow and I called again, did they come anyway - and that was another 40 minute's wait.
How many years are we going to have to wait for things to improve?
GPs are seriously overworked at the moment. But my surgery does have options, phoning 111, you can speak to a duty doctor twice a day, doctor's visit. Some people want to see their own doctor, which doesn't help the situation. There are plenty of other doctors available. If you have to see your own GP, be prepared to wait.
It's usually about a week, or just over, to see any of the different staff at my gp surgery.
It's more annoying having to wait half an hour every day on the phone to be told its that long.
Do you suppose the doctor is sick? Borrheid otherwise there is no excuse.
Dickens that is appalling!
Not so long ago, I rang my Dr's surgery - requesting an appointment as my leg was infected (having been scrached by a dog with long claws) - I was told the first appointment available was 10 days away! I asked the receptionist if she had listened to what my problem was...........she wouldn't budge. Ended up at my local chemist, who works with a private gp. He sent a photo to the gp and within seconds I'd been given a prescription for anti-biotic cream. Leg got worse after a few weeks, so ended up having identical conversation with gp receptionist - and had go through same procedure with local chemist. Yes - I had to pay for the prescriptions, but at least I got instant result. I could have risked calling the gp surgery for emergency appointment early in the morning - but as there was no guarantee I'd get an appointment for that day, I didn't want to do that...infections can get worse very quickly.
4 weeks?! That's no time compared to our dr where there are no routine appointments available until early March!! I have to say though that if ever I've needed an appointment on the day for a UTI or something else nasty, I've been given an emergency appointment. Unfortunately our surgery is being squeezed well beyond its limits with masses of new housing but no new drs or schools.
Where do you live Babs? Thats terrible
grandMattie
It’s easier to get an audience with the Pope than get through tithe surgery.
You call at 8am, there are at least 2 minutes of stuff, basically telling you not to call unless you are dead. If you are, go to A&E or call 111.
If you survive the “advice” you are told you are #472 in the queue. By the time you reach #41, you are unceremoniously cut off.
It isn’t possible to book online.
If you go in person, you are told to telephone.
I’m so very glad that I am in good health 🙏🤞
You had me laughing out loud there. Thank you.
Borrheid55
Grammaretto I just called the surgery for an update to be told that the doctor isn’t in until Friday! No one has access to the photos I sent but him. Why didn’t he say something when we spoke last Friday? I’m really ticked off by this laissez faire attitude. If it turns out to be serious, I may have to get Marydoll in my corner!
Borrheid, I am so sorry, that you have to wait so long.
My husband thinks I have a big red mark on my file, saying This woman is trouble, give her an appointment! 
Recently, I was talking to one of the receptionists, when I was particularly unwell and said that I was embarrassed to be such a nuisance.
She replied with, We know you are a very unwell patient, you are certainly not a nuisance.
My dear friend, I would fight your corner anytime.💐
I think our GP surgery should teach others how it's done. We never have any problems getting an appointment, usually same day. They have a triage system which works really well. I can ring any time and get a call back within a couple of hours, next day if I call late afternoon. If appropriate, an appointment is offered the same day. I wanted a non-urgent appointment and still saw the doctor within 24 hours of calling. It works well as they have a great team, all working together.
I'm in Wales and our surgery is excellent, you can ring at 8, rarely more than 3 or 4 in the queue, have always got an appointment on the day
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.