Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Play School To Return!

(25 Posts)
Margs Fri 25-Sept-26 18:32:10

Hurrah! It's just a pity that Brian Cant, a major participant and leader, is dead.

He was immensely talented, enthusiastic and had a magical voice.

There's nothing since that has come close to Play School.

Grannybags Fri 25-Sept-26 18:38:37

I loved Brian Cant. I wonder if they’ll use the same music!

Cossy Fri 25-Sept-26 18:41:00

Through the round window, to see Big Ted, little Ted and the ugly scary doll, whose name eludes me!

Littleannie Fri 25-Sept-26 18:41:20

I met Brian Cant many years ago when I worked at a theatre. I told him I used to watch him in Play School with my son. He said "I don't want to know how old he is now!" A lovely man.

Oldnproud Fri 25-Sept-26 18:44:54

I was never a fan of Play School, even as a young child. I can also remember my disbelief when at about 10 years old I discovered that some of my classmates still watched it!

Cossy Fri 25-Sept-26 18:49:34

I loved it and didn’t Brian also present Play Away? I just adored him!

Treebee Fri 25-Sept-26 19:03:56

Loved Play School! My strongest memory is the song about Little Ted from nowhere in particular, climbed the perpendicular!
Scary doll was Hamble, weird name too. Never took to Humpty either…

Grannybags Fri 25-Sept-26 20:18:39

Oldnproud

I was never a fan of Play School, even as a young child. I can also remember my disbelief when at about 10 years old I discovered that some of my classmates still watched it!

I must be a lot older than you as I watched it with my children!

I only had Watch with Mother when I was little

Bukkie Fri 25-Sept-26 20:26:43

Hamble was the doll, I always thought it was an odd name.

Oldnproud Fri 25-Sept-26 20:44:06

Grannybags

Oldnproud

I was never a fan of Play School, even as a young child. I can also remember my disbelief when at about 10 years old I discovered that some of my classmates still watched it!

I must be a lot older than you as I watched it with my children!

I only had Watch with Mother when I was little

Watch with Mother was still on when I was very little, though I dont remember anything specific about it.

Cossy Fri 25-Sept-26 20:45:23

Horrible Hamble!

CarrotTop Fri 25-Sept-26 21:32:17

Humpty was my DS's favourite. I made a loosely-stuffed egg toy in Humpty's image (can't claim it was much of a replica, tbh) and DS used to prop his Humpty up in front of the tv so they could watch Play School together.

Grandma70s Fri 25-Sept-26 21:46:05

Oldnproud

Grannybags

Oldnproud

I was never a fan of Play School, even as a young child. I can also remember my disbelief when at about 10 years old I discovered that some of my classmates still watched it!

I must be a lot older than you as I watched it with my children!

I only had Watch with Mother when I was little

Watch with Mother was still on when I was very little, though I dont remember anything specific about it.

You’re all very young! I didn’t have television at all when I was a child. Children’s Hour on the wireless was my equivalent.

When my elder son was little, I was very grateful for Playschool. It was before all-day television, and I think Playschool was on at 11 a.m. By that time my extremely energetic, demanding child had already exhausted me, but he sat still and absorbed all through Playschool, such a welcome break for me.

Calendargirl Fri 25-Sept-26 21:50:24

Watch With Mother

Monday- Picture Book.
Tuesday- Andy Pandy.
Wednesday-Bill and Ben.
Thursday-Rag, Tag and Bobtail.
Friday-The Woodentops.

Happy, innocent days.

JenniRen Fri 25-Sept-26 22:09:43

Grannybags

Oldnproud

I was never a fan of Play School, even as a young child. I can also remember my disbelief when at about 10 years old I discovered that some of my classmates still watched it!

I must be a lot older than you as I watched it with my children!

I only had Watch with Mother when I was little

I had Listen With Mother so I must be really old!

Grannybags Fri 25-Sept-26 22:21:06

I had Listen with Mother too. I can still remember the tune before it started!

Grannybags Fri 25-Sept-26 22:22:27

I wasn’t keen on Picture Book but loved the rest of the week 😊

Liaise Sat 26-Sept-26 08:17:31

If I remember correctly Play School was on twice a day. There was also Trumpton and Chigley. We had them all on. It was the only time the children were quiet.
When I was a child TV hadn’t reached Devon so we had Uncle Mac on the radio. My cousins listened to Dick Barton.

HelterSkelter1 Sat 26-Sept-26 08:36:02

Was Jemima the rag doll in Playschool? Both Dds loved all the wonderful childrens programmes. They were born in the late 70s.
The programmes were so well made but simple and calm. We were all very fond of Mr Ben and Bagpuss. Simple stories gently told.

Sarnia Sat 26-Sept-26 08:39:55

Calendargirl

Watch With Mother

Monday- Picture Book.
Tuesday- Andy Pandy.
Wednesday-Bill and Ben.
Thursday-Rag, Tag and Bobtail.
Friday-The Woodentops.

Happy, innocent days.

A GN from my era.
We did not get a TV until I was 9 but like Calendargirl can remember the weekly running order.

Witzend Sat 26-Sept-26 08:57:25

When dd1 was very little and we were living in the middle of an Arabian desert, with nothing on TV for her except cartoons of Sindbad in Arabic, my sister used to record Play School and send us lots of episodes on the old video cassettes. I still have very fond memories!

Basgetti Sat 26-Sept-26 09:12:57

His son Richard is the image of him. Maybe he can present (an actor)?

Cumbrianmale56 Sat 26-Sept-26 10:54:09

Someone further up mentioned Andy Pandy that I watched until I was about 8, and which I think was still being broadcast into the early eighties when my brother was in its age group. Always remember the very posh female narrator and the woman singer. Great fun for small children and a well loved show for decades.

twiglet77 Sat 26-Sept-26 11:13:33

They’ll surely staff it to DEI tickboxes and it will be a shadow of the version we used to love.

Cumbrianmale56 Sun 27-Sept-26 15:03:15

twiglet77

They’ll surely staff it to DEI tickboxes and it will be a shadow of the version we used to love.

Hmm, if that's the case, Floella Benjamin would have been an example of so called box ticking. Actually she got the job on merit and was very good on Playschool, and I don't think her skin colour ever came into it.