Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Great British Bake Off 2026

(21 Posts)
Sarnia Thu 24-Sept-26 08:56:28

Paul Hollywood has always seen himself as the Boss when it comes to the judging. He always seemed a bit patronising to Mary and Prue as if his opinion counted more.

No longer!!! Nigella has arrived with a bang. Paul Hollywood has met his match, I think.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Sept-26 09:00:41

Salt! We need more salt!

Is my take away from the first episode😄

Sarnia Thu 24-Sept-26 09:15:59

Whitewavemark2

Salt! We need more salt!

Is my take away from the first episode😄

grin Yes! I have never added salt when baking cakes and with blood pressure higher than it should be, maybe I won't start adding it.

Parsley3 Thu 24-Sept-26 09:19:04

Gosh, Nigella really tucks in when tasting the cakes. Proper big spoonfuls for her. I like it.

shysal Thu 24-Sept-26 09:24:29

My grandmother always used to say 'a pinch of salt in everything but custard', and I agree with her.

ferry23 Thu 24-Sept-26 09:38:25

I thought Nigella was great - and a bit of a change to hear phrases like "a ferrous tang" - "a frisson of excitement" on Bake Off - that will bamboozle the goggleboxers!

I'm afraid this year one or more of the contestants will annoy me no end. When the sloppy vegan mess slid slowly to the ground my relief was palpable - she surely would go - then they didn't send anyone home!

merlotgran Thu 24-Sept-26 09:42:56

I was getting bored with Bake Off but Nigella has livened it up.

Samsara1 Thu 24-Sept-26 09:44:58

I enjoyed the programme and I will try to curb my dislike of Nigella's simpering and fake flirty with everything that moves but what I do have a problem with is Alison Hammond's shouting. I think her co-presenter looks as though she has just deafened him when he is standing next to her.
The internet is full of comments about the selection of candidates and their relationship to a Equal Opportunties tick box BUT how did some of them pass the initial selection heats with their obvious lack of even basic skill. And BTW lower the work station for the woman in a wheelchair (I don't know their names yet).

JenniRen Thu 24-Sept-26 09:45:50

I haven't watched it much for years but perhaps might give it a try this season now.

When the sloppy vegan mess slid slowly to the ground my relief was palpable
Especially a sloppy mess sliding to the ground 😁

Deedaa Thu 24-Sept-26 20:40:34

My son is normally pretty woke and inclusive, but even he watched a bit of it and said "They've ticked all the boxes haven't they?" The first episode seemed a bit flat but will hopefully improve. Why did they have to start with a version of Nigella's Stout Cake? Don't they usually have more choice for their signature?

Bukkie Thu 24-Sept-26 21:24:33

I agree the wheelchair contestant Molly should have had an adapted workbench, no wonder the poor girl dropped her cake. I liked Nigella. I also liked Prue. Nobody can ever be as bad as the hideous, patronising Mary Berry.

Catlover123 Fri 25-Sept-26 13:53:21

Bukkie, I thought she did have a lower work surface. I remember she dropped it getting out of the oven which was the right height for her.
I agree Nigella is great, I don't know how she will keep that fabulous figure with all that cake eating!

AweSum72 Fri 25-Sept-26 14:00:28

I think Nigella is a great addition, agree Paul will now have to be wee bit more careful in his comments as I dont think Nigella will put up with nonsense. It will take a few weeks for her to get into her role I think but good partnership dynamic overall.

Olivebranch Fri 25-Sept-26 16:19:53

I thought Prue was the best, very much her own person and kind. I don’t like Nigellas simpers and flounces but she was more restrained and serious if a bit boring.

Visgir1 Fri 25-Sept-26 16:26:15

Looking forward to seeing it as I'm away. Thought Nigella was a brilliant choice. Not a fan of Paul Hollywood, never saw the appeal of him.
So it's good to hear she's come in taking no nonsense.

KatrinaMarina Fri 25-Sept-26 19:12:04

I agree with parsley3 about Nigellas big mouthfuls except I didn’t like it 😄

Bukkie Fri 25-Sept-26 20:17:29

I really liked the lady, I think her name was Caroline who judged on a few specials. I thought she would be an obvious replacement choice.

Deedaa Sat 26-Sept-26 20:28:34

Has anyone tried watching A Second Helping? I tried,but found it painfully boring. Just people telling each other how wonderful they are. An Extra Slice used to be so much more entertaining, with all the stories attached to the bakes people brought in and the photos of viewers' cakes - some amazing and some horrendous.

merlotgran Sat 26-Sept-26 20:48:52

I turned it off. It completely lacked the fun of Extra Slice and Jo Brand’s humour.

shysal Sun 27-Sept-26 12:05:03

I agree that Extra Helping was a poor replacement for Extra Slice. I used to particularly enjoy seeing the viewers' funny disasters.

kissngate Sun 27-Sept-26 14:29:18

I usually love watching BO but have cancelled recording as the contestants were so OTT and Nigella didn't help. Thought it was a load of tripe.