Gransnet forums

Technology

What do you use AI for?

(218 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 15-Aug-25 09:08:55

Clunky title I know.

But I am finding that I am using it more and more not just for information but for fun.

So over the past few weeks or so I’ve got it to create a weeks menu themed on a country specifically for 80 year olds with 1400 cals a day.

This week is Italy, but we’ve had, French week, British week, and Spanish week.

Now I’ve asked it for a weeks menu based on what the King eats šŸ˜„šŸ˜„. Avocado for lunch or nothing, afternoon tea at 5pm and dinner at 8-8.30 bit too late for us..

It will give you a full shopping list as well.

Bit of useless information😊

M0nica Sun 17-Aug-25 10:10:28

OldFrill

Lahlah65

Anyone who is worried about the amount of energy and water used by data centres (including running AI) might want to make their own small contribution to reducing this by deleting old emails, duplicate files and pruning their photo libraries. Every little helps.

If you think doing that will have any impact on the growth of data centres you are living in lahlah land

No, you are not. As the adverts say, every little helps. It is worth remembering that the reason British cyclists became so successful in the Olympics was because they had a coach who believed that every 1% soon added up to 10% and so on.

If everyone was as efficient at keeping their computer neat and tidy as they do their house or person, it could save an enormous amount of electricity.

It is just like recycling and reusing, buying secondhand, not new. the more people do it, the more effective it is.

Aveline Sun 17-Aug-25 09:30:21

I avoid Grok for that reason. It's ChatGPT for me or Google for a quick query

MaizieD Sun 17-Aug-25 09:22:56

I haven't read all the thread, I started but don't have time to finish it.

I'm finding this very ironic. When I used Chatgtp to do a simple calculation in relation to a national economy and posted its results I was howled down and told that AI was unreliable (I actually knew already that it had a tendency in some circumstances to make things up, I do read about things... )

While I think it's useful I think we have to be cautious.

Someone mentioned Grok. Well, that''s Elon Musk's baby and apparently it is 'trained' a great deal on X (formerly twitter) so one wonders just what it is regurgitating... X users will understand my reservations, I'm sure.

Indiana Sun 17-Aug-25 09:15:28

What a brilliant post, thank you! I've just downloaded ChatGPT and am having great fun. And asking useful stuff too. It's a game changer for me, love it so far...

Blinko Sun 17-Aug-25 08:39:34

This is so interesting. I must get myself up to date. It sounds fascinating…

OldFrill Sun 17-Aug-25 06:38:31

Lindylou23

Where do you find AI to ask it questions? Sorry ladies if I sound a bit dense grin

I downloaded ChatGPT from Playstore.

LaCrepescule Sun 17-Aug-25 06:32:45

I use ChatGPT frequently and find the answers to deep questions absolutely amazing. If you think how it works, it’s not really surprising. I appreciate we’re worried that AI will take over but if it’s used wisely, it’s a huge boon.

Lindylou23 Sun 17-Aug-25 06:22:47

Where do you find AI to ask it questions? Sorry ladies if I sound a bit dense grin

OldFrill Sun 17-Aug-25 02:33:03

Lahlah65

Anyone who is worried about the amount of energy and water used by data centres (including running AI) might want to make their own small contribution to reducing this by deleting old emails, duplicate files and pruning their photo libraries. Every little helps.

If you think doing that will have any impact on the growth of data centres you are living in lahlah land

Lahlah65 Sat 16-Aug-25 22:11:54

Anyone who is worried about the amount of energy and water used by data centres (including running AI) might want to make their own small contribution to reducing this by deleting old emails, duplicate files and pruning their photo libraries. Every little helps.

Siptree Sat 16-Aug-25 22:06:43

Whitewavemark2

Clunky title I know.

But I am finding that I am using it more and more not just for information but for fun.

So over the past few weeks or so I’ve got it to create a weeks menu themed on a country specifically for 80 year olds with 1400 cals a day.

This week is Italy, but we’ve had, French week, British week, and Spanish week.

Now I’ve asked it for a weeks menu based on what the King eats šŸ˜„šŸ˜„. Avocado for lunch or nothing, afternoon tea at 5pm and dinner at 8-8.30 bit too late for us..

It will give you a full shopping list as well.

Bit of useless information😊

Please, to anybody who cares about the environment don't use AI for trivial purposes. Look into how many new data centers are needed to support its use. These things use up energy like crazy and then need unimaginable amounts of water to cool them down. As Grans please think about what world our grandchildren are going to have to cope with.

PKD12 Sat 16-Aug-25 21:50:57

Whitewavemark2

Clunky title I know.

But I am finding that I am using it more and more not just for information but for fun.

So over the past few weeks or so I’ve got it to create a weeks menu themed on a country specifically for 80 year olds with 1400 cals a day.

This week is Italy, but we’ve had, French week, British week, and Spanish week.

Now I’ve asked it for a weeks menu based on what the King eats šŸ˜„šŸ˜„. Avocado for lunch or nothing, afternoon tea at 5pm and dinner at 8-8.30 bit too late for us..

It will give you a full shopping list as well.

Bit of useless information😊

Love it! Although I think someone needs to have a word to KC about eating dinner so late. I use ChstGPT for just about everything, more than my teenage gkids. šŸ˜€Thanks for the fun post Whitewavemark2 (interesting handle).

madeleine45 Sat 16-Aug-25 20:59:36

I dont use it knowingly at all. I prefer to use my own brain, and have been told by friends and others that I come up with some unusual ideas for things. Well I have no wish to give further information to AI, than they already garner. I intend to remain the same stroppy style person who is not going to be swayed by whether 2000 follow whatever. I prefer to plough my own furrow, and enjoy meeting real human beings in the flesh and finding out about them. Dont go round saying I have 623 friends, when I mean someone reads my post. Think Stephanie Cole in waiting for god!! Intend to do as I choose and may use it in the future for my own benefit, but wont be much

Dempie55 Sat 16-Aug-25 20:03:40

I asked ChatGPT to create me a weekly exercise program without gym access, it did it in 10 seconds. I also asked it to create me a cat shaped mirror.

Julesey Sat 16-Aug-25 19:55:27

I am married to a techie but I have no idea how to even start using AI and the longer I leave it the more anxious I become. I find it all very scary!
I have fears that if I use it I may be locked in the house by it or something equally frightening.
How did you all ā€œstartā€ using it?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 16-Aug-25 19:44:16

Interesting reading some of the efforts and results.

I think one thing to remember is to ask the right question, which seems obvious, but parameters and as much knowledge as possible will get much better results.

I am sure though that it will very quickly get better.

glammagran Sat 16-Aug-25 19:41:25

I’ve been using it to turn photos into short videos. There is a recent photo of GS1 on a golf driving range about to hit the ball and the AI video shows him taking the shot and looking out to see where it goes. It’s almost spooky.

Janiepops Sat 16-Aug-25 19:28:03

Shallow I know, but I asked GPT which is the best anti ageing, most proven, skin care. It gave me great answers! Then I went on Amazon and ordered one, which will be here by 11pm tonight!!

M0nica Sat 16-Aug-25 19:21:28

We tried using AI yesterday to find out what types of part time jobs would be available to a 15 year old.

Among the reasonably sensible suggestions was Lifeguard/phlebotomist

Aphlebotomist is a healthcare professional responsible for drawing blood from patients for testing. We are unsure why these two occupations were linked and surprised that hospitals would consider employing 15 year olds in this role. However we may follow it up, it will pay better than working in McDonalds or similar.

Etoile2701 Sat 16-Aug-25 18:24:40

Septimia

I don't use it at all if I can help it.

Neither do I.

Aveline Sat 16-Aug-25 17:42:52

Why not ask AI how to build desalination plants? Or even why don't we already? Plenty of water in the sea.

Jeannied Sat 16-Aug-25 17:29:32

Wow! What a good neighbour you are.

Jeannied Sat 16-Aug-25 17:26:19

Don't worry about the weather and lack of rain this summer. The government have alloted £50m for weather manipulation. There will be plenty of rain soon. As if they don't do it already.

Katekeeprunning Sat 16-Aug-25 17:09:38

Which free AI app would you recommend where I can put in a picture of my bedroom and ask it to make decor suggestions?

DrWatson Sat 16-Aug-25 16:24:23

For all almost everyone on here, but especially the "don't use it" -- if you use Google (or similar search engine) to get info, then you are indeed using AI.

For anyone who has doubts, there was an exceptionally funny news item y'day (Friday 15th) showing a tournament for robots (humanoid ones) held in China, they were doing assorted sports & activities.

The 5-a-side football game was just hysterical (the ball didn't seem to have been programmed in?), and there was one supposed to be doing a freestyle dance . . . . after a couple of seconds without moving, it toppled over, and was dragged off the dancefloor by its head.

Nearly as funny as Chump trying to claim his 'summit' had achieved anything useful.