MerylStreep, regarding the link to the 3G phone you provided earlier (Wed 12-Apr-23 18:14:06), please be aware that 3G is to be switched off by individual network providers over the next couple of years (also 2G). The phone will not be any use whatsoever.
I recently acquired a push button PAYG Nokia 105 4G for someone who struggles with technology but needed a phone specifically to be contacted if he was out and to get text messages for 2 factor authentication when he was setting up apps on his iPad. It cost £15 + £10 top up. (I was asked to find something under £30 then set it up - I met his brief.)
As someone who is comfortable with technology, I found the primitive Nokia difficult to use (I had the original of this in the mid 90's). Keying the numbers and names, locking and unlocking the phone, the lack of visibility of what I was doing, inability to change basic settings actually made it less useable than I expected. I'll be interested to see how my friend copes, especially as he is getting on reasonably well with an iPad.
Technology can do better, especially for those it has passed by. Passwords replaced by biometrics, voice instructions replacing painfully slow keyboard use, banks providing a secure service for their vulnerable customers and so on. But if there is no real demand for the technology by society, it's just not going to happen soon enough.