Gransnet forums

Site stuff

New here - question about site appearance

(70 Posts)
WalthamstowinWaiting Thu 24-Sept-26 07:40:56

Hello everyone. Looking forward to getting to know people.

Is there any way of changing the appearance of this site please. The font is so old-fashioned: I know we're old but....

Thank you.

Graphite Fri 25-Sept-26 09:12:53

What's the difference between a typeface and a font?

This young woman explains:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvVXwLWIwDM

Anyway, I hope WiW can find a browser extension that makes the site content look more pleasing to their eye.

JackyB Fri 25-Sept-26 09:02:54

The look of the site was changed at one point. Including the font. I remember my surprise at the changes on the morning of was launched. I'm sure I also said at the time that we (or at least I)were really only interested in the content.

They could have set the tech department to work on implementing the changes we were actually asking for as readers rather than changing the design and style of the site which was of little interest to anyone. It wasn't a even an improvement for those with poor eyesight. You always could enlarge the font to counteract that problem.

I have no idea what would be old-fashioned or not in a site. I use another forum which has been going since 1999 and which is easy to navigate and has many features I would have liked on GN.

Sarnia Fri 25-Sept-26 08:43:21

What I have asked for in the past is the availability to 'like' a post which is quicker than replying. It has never happened and likely never will.

spottybook Fri 25-Sept-26 08:13:35

Well I’m happy with the way it looks.

Nannee49 Fri 25-Sept-26 08:06:49

"They" can call it what they like but it's still inherently ignorant & wrong.

If we're going to be down with the tech kids why do we not font our correspondence instead of typing it? Maybe that's too big a stretch even for the masters of the written communication universe.

WalthamstowinWaiting Fri 25-Sept-26 07:42:25

Well this is all getting far more complicated than I imagined!

Grammaretto Fri 25-Sept-26 05:12:12

I read GN on my phone and haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Graphite Fri 25-Sept-26 00:42:40

I agree.

Font is the term used in application and website development. OP was asking about this website.

Word processing software will ask a user to choose a font not a typeface.

The computer language that sit behind web pages is Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML) and a development of that call Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). They use the tag <font> and property <font-family>.”

Here’s a fraction of code that sits behind this webpage:

<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css2?family=Libre+Baskerville:wght@400;700&display=swap" rel="stylesheet">

Google Fonts is a free, open-source library of computer and web fonts provided by Google that anyone can use for personal or commercial projects.

Libre Baskerville is a free, open-source serif web font family.

OldFrill Fri 25-Sept-26 00:27:32

Nannee - l understand where you are coming from however in computer terminology font and typeface have become interchangeable as both .ttf and .otf files are commonly called fonts. As can be read on this thread people knew what the poster meant by "font" because of common usage. Using "typeface" caused unnecessary confusion. You're fighting a battle already lost.

Nannee49 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:16:17

OldFrill despite it being a common mistake to confuse the two, it's a basic, absolute rule in typography that they're not interchangeable, no-one ever designed a font, a font can't exist without a typeface as it means nothing.

Times New Roman is a designed typeface, 12 point Times New Roman or 14 point Times New Roman or 24 point or whatever point are the fonts of Times New Roman typeface.

MawsRosie Thu 24-Sept-26 22:13:27

Marmin

I think you meant the 'font of all knowlege.'

( intended as humour)

Sadly I think it’s the fount of all knowledge
The traditional and standard spelling for a source of information is fount of knowledge.
The Difference
Fount: Comes from the Latin word for a spring or fountain, making it the literal and historical choice for a flowing "source" of wisdom or information.
Font: Refers to a baptismal basin in a church or a collection of typographic characters (a typeface).

petra Thu 24-Sept-26 21:55:36

fluttERBY123

Most of us here are a bit old fashioned as well and averse to change.

You should have said some not most

Retread Thu 24-Sept-26 19:54:07

Marmin

I think you meant the 'font of all knowlege.'

( intended as humour)

😅

Retread Thu 24-Sept-26 19:52:56

Me neither! I welcome a shake up.

Marzipan22 Thu 24-Sept-26 18:07:06

fluttERBY123

Most of us here are a bit old fashioned as well and averse to change.

Yikes, I'm not!!!!

fluttERBY123 Thu 24-Sept-26 16:42:55

Most of us here are a bit old fashioned as well and averse to change.

OldFrill Thu 24-Sept-26 16:32:47

Nannee49

It's not a font, it's a typeface.

There's no such thing as a stand alone font - a font is always a variation or adaptation of an original typeface design.

Re computers the two words are virtually (no pun intended) interchangeable, everyone knows exactly what is meant.

Welcome WiW, congrats on your news (l read your other post), sorry you seem to be getting such a strange welcome! Don't let it put you off.

Marmin Thu 24-Sept-26 16:26:08

I think you meant the 'font of all knowlege.'

( intended as humour)

Retread Thu 24-Sept-26 16:22:55

WalthamstowinWaiting

Thank you for the helpful comments and welcomes smile

Welcome WiW you'd have heard the term mansplaining I'm sure, there's a version on here called Gransnetsplaining 😀 ...

I'd have called it a font too. But GN is the fount of all knowledge 😂

Calendargirl Thu 24-Sept-26 16:20:12

What’s wrong with the font/typeface or whatever?

It seems fine to me, but then, I’m easily pleased.

Nannee49 Thu 24-Sept-26 15:55:05

It's not a font, it's a typeface.

There's no such thing as a stand alone font - a font is always a variation or adaptation of an original typeface design.

WalthamstowinWaiting Thu 24-Sept-26 15:42:59

Thank you for the helpful comments and welcomes smile

Graphite Thu 24-Sept-26 13:02:49

Is there any way of changing the appearance of this site please. The font is so old-fashioned.

Yes, you can by using a free browser extension.

Different ones exist for different operating systems e.g. Font Changer for Firefox is very easy to use.

Just to prove it. Have fun.

JenniRen Thu 24-Sept-26 12:34:29

How would you like to change the appearance and to which font, WalthamstowinWaiting?

There are two alternatives to layout, the mobile site and desktop site but I think the font remains the same. Plain, easy to read and, as grumppa says, has stood the test of time.

It would be handy to be able to see any responses by the OP in a different colour. Mumsnet does this so it can't be a problem.

nanna8 Thu 24-Sept-26 10:46:31

The only thing I would like to change is the addition of a ‘like’ button ( not, repeat not, a ‘dislike’ button ) but people can’t handle that apparently.Too sensitive.