Gransnet forums

Site stuff

A new annoying popup

(111 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Grammaretto Fri 21-Aug-26 17:24:10

It only appears on Gransnet and I think it's advertising some kind of anti virus.
I try to delete it but it pops back and after a couple of times my half written post has vanished.
Mega annoying.
Can you help HQ?

Dickens Mon 07-Sept-26 09:10:48

Malwarebytes AV picked up and blocked 'loadway' extension - on Windows11 laptop running Microsoft Edge... immediately upon logging on!

Jaxjacky Sun 06-Sept-26 20:46:09

Hadn’t had anything apart from brief ‘pop up blocked’ message for a few days, but it’s just sneaked in.
The McAfee one again at 20:42, full scanning, iPad running Safari.

StevenGnTech (GNHQ) Sat 05-Sept-26 09:32:43

Hi all, do let us know if you see this again. The ad serving service GN uses has taken steps to prevent the "pop-up" aspect of this while we track it down. This means the ad itself may still appear but it shouldn't be able to cover the screen. Do let us know if you see it again - it would be helpful to let us know the date and time you saw the ad, which browser you were using and what kind of device (pc / mac / iphone / android etc) Thanks very much!

Dickens Thu 03-Sept-26 14:32:50

Unfortunately, for GNHQ it's not a quick-fix. Locating the 'bad ad' is difficult - as it's been designed to be so.

ViceVersa Thu 03-Sept-26 12:31:55

It's not fixed - just happened to me again!

PiscesLady Wed 02-Sept-26 19:41:48

I spoke to soon! I just sent a PM and got that anti virus pop up when I hit send.

PiscesLady Wed 02-Sept-26 16:43:45

I've just realised that since midnight last night (couldn't sleep) and then today, not once has my Android seized up, nor have I had any annoying popups. Many thanks GNHQ for fixing this.

Dickens Wed 02-Sept-26 06:37:52

Iam64

I’ve reported my post to base control. I’m sure they are trying to block the intruders but it does feel risky and it’s a nuisance

Finding the culprit is like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack - a haystack of innumerable ads.

If my thinking is correct, a malicious code has been hidden inside an innocent-looking graphic. GN doesn't choose each individual ad, the problem lies with third-party ad networks - which are automated, and constantly shifting. And these rogue ads are programmed to avoid being caught. Which is why Kelly/GNHQ are having the difficulty in finding it.

MissAdventure Tue 01-Sept-26 20:30:38

Mine is the McAfee one, too.

MayBee70 Tue 01-Sept-26 20:25:51

Grammaretto

Same one

I got that, too and panicked thinking I’d accidentally clicked onto it.

BlueSapphire Tue 01-Sept-26 17:16:15

And I keep getting the McAfee one which causes posts to disappear and be lost forever. It only happens on Gransnet and always on the Good Morning thread.

Grammaretto Tue 01-Sept-26 11:27:15

Same one

Grammaretto Tue 01-Sept-26 11:24:21

Thanks Kelly.
I lost a post this morning again. Same popup.

PiscesLady Tue 01-Sept-26 10:49:21

And yet again! Also freezing up, this is my sixth attempt to report.

PiscesLady Tue 01-Sept-26 09:09:02

And again!
Thanks Kelly, I hope you can sort it soon.
Marzipan you are missed on the good morning thread, I hope you feel able to return soon.

Iam64 Mon 31-Aug-26 20:23:31

I had so many pop ups earlier I abandoned attempts to use the site. Google tells me macafee pop ups when you aren’t a member of the site, are likeky rogues looking for our details - as we feared
Thanks Kelly - keep trying

KellyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 31-Aug-26 11:40:27

Hi everyone,

We're so sorry that these pop-ups are still causing problems for many of you - we can see how frustrating this must be. We're doing our best to block them but unfortunately they're proving quite persistent.

Please bear with us! Hopefully we'll be rid of them all soon.

Izzy24 Mon 31-Aug-26 09:05:32

Marzipan22

I'm so thoroughly fed up with my Android phone freezing when I try to post on Gransnet that I've decided to stop completely after this post (if indeed I manage to complete it). I just don't trust the site any more.

My first post on Gransnet to say please don’t stop ! Your good morning posts are always interesting and have been missed!

Iam64 Mon 31-Aug-26 09:02:16

I’ve reported my post to base control. I’m sure they are trying to block the intruders but it does feel risky and it’s a nuisance

Iam64 Mon 31-Aug-26 08:58:29

I’m another losing posts when the pop up scanner takes over.
I’m also having to sign in again when I close the pop up down, I’ve clicked the keep me signed in yet I’m having to sign in on each site visit

Marzipan22 Mon 31-Aug-26 00:50:30

I'm so thoroughly fed up with my Android phone freezing when I try to post on Gransnet that I've decided to stop completely after this post (if indeed I manage to complete it). I just don't trust the site any more.

PiscesLady Sun 30-Aug-26 21:05:41

Still getting this pop up. Android Oppo.

Iam64 Sun 30-Aug-26 13:20:18

Thanks Dickens, will do. I’m getting more phishing emails

Dickens Sun 30-Aug-26 10:44:17

Iam64

Which anti virus Dickens? I’m Apple which is usually good but this pop up irritating and worrying, I found I’d inadvertently +(allegedly) subscribed to something. Luckiky my bank reimbursed me as it was a scam

I'm using 'Malwarebytes' - the 'premium' option with all the bells and whistles, Iam64.

A friend - who used to work for GCHQ in Cheltenham - told me that this was one of the AV systems they used, and he recommended it... but this was some time ago now and they probs use other - more sophisticated - AV programmes. Nevertheless, I think Malwarebytes is probably still a strong defence system.

I think the domain being flagged by Malwarebytes is "loadway-best" which is associated with phishing/push-notification scams and rogue adverts. This one tries to trick you with fake 'infected' browser warnings.

Try this: go to your browser SETTINGS, search for NOTIFICATIONS and check the allowed list - if you see "loadway" or any other unfamiliar websites listed there - remove or block it/them.

Iam64 Sun 30-Aug-26 08:37:27

Which anti virus Dickens? I’m Apple which is usually good but this pop up irritating and worrying, I found I’d inadvertently +(allegedly) subscribed to something. Luckiky my bank reimbursed me as it was a scam