Went out to Sunday lunch at a pub across the river from where we live. Served by a very nice young man there who addressed us, as "guys" all the time, as does one of my sons, it amuses me, but certainly doesn't offend, much better than being ignored. Husband and I agreed we really don't mind being collectively referred to as "guys" at all, particularly when you get very agreeable service.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Queen herself says grumpy old fartish things sometimes. That doesn't mean she is a grumpy old fart. I don't think that at all.
ariadne, I'm surprised at your interpretation. I didn't call anyone anything. I said I thought the posts seemed like "grumpy old fartishness", which is exactly how they do seem to me. That is not the same at all as saying you or anyone else is a grumpy old fart, which is why I phrased it as I did phrase it and not as you read it.
Someone will probably say that the difference doesn't count. It does.
People who say 'cut in half' when they mean 'cut by half' - entirely different meanings. Particularly when used by professional journalists. Words are the tools of their trade and they should know better.
Well said, goddess of mazes and labyrinths, wise words indeed. Now back to school: Windbag - One who loves their own opinions so much they have convinced themselves they actually know what they are talking about. H'mm, getting a bit close to home now, I think. Time for t'Archers.TTFN!
Did it? I think I must have caught the sense of humour failure injected here. If we are being called, essentially, miserable old gits, well, takes one to know one.
Your first two examples come from the northern part of America. They speak English there to and use their own idiosyncracies of the spoken language just as we do.
I hate when people say ' they are meeting with'. Why not just 'they are meeting'? The 'with' is redundant. Also, there is a tendency now to say 'I am excited for the arena trip' etc instead of 'excited about'. Where did that come from? No one seems to be able to spell 'definitely' any more - I have lost count of the number of times I've seen 'definately' No, it's not just fat fingers, it is happening too often. Okay, I know I am a pedant. We had English grammar drummed into us when I was at school!
We oldies, of course, were never guilty of using trendy expressions when we were young and we'd never pick up and use (shudder!) American expressions! [sarc emoticon]
Pedantry has its uses but that's a good post d4d because all that "hairsplitting, particularity, formality, precision, fussiness, pickiness, nit-picking, punctiliousness, priggishness, etc., etc." about easy-going "trendy" expressions young people (or, even worse, foreigners like Americans!) use, is rather a silly use of it. Spot on . I like the directness of your post.
I can generally cope with new expressions. Many are very descriptive and apt. I really hate 'gobsmacked' but there are occasions when it's just the right word.
What I don't like is the way that perfectly normal everyday words suddenly become obscene or politically incorrect without telling me. Pedants are needed just to slow the process down.
(Pet hate expression for me is 'Lessons have been learned' when clearly they haven't.)
d4dsquared Can I come to live in your world ,where nothing bothers or irritates you. My mental energies are used in many ways but sometimes it is a little thing that 'breaks the camels back'.