Gransnet forums

News & politics

Other Political Parties UK

(59 Posts)
Cossy Wed 23-Sept-26 12:07:35

I find it really interesting ( and that’s not a euphemism) how we here on this forum appear to be split between those who support Reform and Restore, and those of us who don’t.

Then there’s the view that the Conservatives are “finished”, not something to which I subscribe, though they are not my party of choice.

My thoughts on this thread are directed to both The Green Party and The Lib-Dems.

Before you all have a knee jerk reaction and tell me both their leaders are “bonkers”, “rubbish” or any other insult you find appropriate for Polanski and Davey.

People have stated very clearly, as is their right, that they are sick of our two party system and they are more than prepared to give another party a chance.

Why Reform and in a very few cases Restore, rather than Green or Lib-Dem?

I’m genuinely interested.

They both have published policies and ideas for change.

Is it because your “fears” “anxieties” “hatred” of Asylum Seekers, (& sadly in a few cases, all migrants), overrides absolutely everything else that you’d rather support someone with zero power, making statements and promises which aren’t true and can never be followed through, rather than looking at this Government’s actual achievements in terms of the entire migrant and Asylum Seeker issues.

Why not look at a different Party, why not read up on Green and Lib-Dem current policies and ideas?

KayM Sun 27-Sept-26 14:28:52

I was much struck by a political analyst who said the other day on Radio 4 that so far no political party has been brave enough to " tell the truth" about the economy. The truth is that the UK , and Europe generally, are in long term economic decline, not through lack of effort, but by comparison with the countries on The Pacific Rim. We cannot compete in terms of costs, because our costs are inevitably so much higher than theirs. So successive governments are basically rearranging the deckchairs. There are no lifeboats. For the first time in over 100 years the next generation will be less well off than we were. And it depresses people. They look for someone to blame. We are STILL a rich nation by world and historical standards, but decline since about the 60s, or 70s, has been steady. The sell off of social housing, far from creating a more self confident and independent nation as Thatcher expected, has been a disaster.

MayBee70 Fri 25-Sept-26 19:08:55

Am I right in thinking the LidDems have just won two by elections? Because it isn’t on any of the news.

winterwhite Fri 25-Sept-26 15:26:54

Quite right Madmeg re the tuition fees debacle. The Lib Dems were the minor partner in the coalition and couldn’t achieve all they wanted.

Furthermore the Lib Dems were right about Iraq in 2003 and right about Brexit.

Oreo Fri 25-Sept-26 08:31:50

MT62

Oreo

I hope that Labour will win the next GE under their own steam but if they power share with the Lib Dems I could live with that.😁

I hope they don’t win

😄

Cossy Fri 25-Sept-26 08:26:40

Madmeg

I've always been Lib/Libdem and been a solid party worker in my constituency, which happens to border that of Nick Clegg when he was deputy PM. He met with local parties many times during that period and believe me he had NO CHOICE about those tuit1ion fees. Cameron and his team treated the Libdems as pawns in their own schemes. I am sure those fees were the biggest regret of his life. On the other hand he was responsible for getting the Tories to significantly increase the personal tax allowance, taking millions of low paid out of the tax bracket, something long forgotten since the next Tory Government1 froze the allowance.

I couldn't have voted Tory before then and I certainly wouldn't do now.

Thank you flowers

Madmeg Fri 25-Sept-26 01:34:16

I've always been Lib/Libdem and been a solid party worker in my constituency, which happens to border that of Nick Clegg when he was deputy PM. He met with local parties many times during that period and believe me he had NO CHOICE about those tuit1ion fees. Cameron and his team treated the Libdems as pawns in their own schemes. I am sure those fees were the biggest regret of his life. On the other hand he was responsible for getting the Tories to significantly increase the personal tax allowance, taking millions of low paid out of the tax bracket, something long forgotten since the next Tory Government1 froze the allowance.

I couldn't have voted Tory before then and I certainly wouldn't do now.

MT62 Thu 24-Sept-26 21:43:45

Oreo

I hope that Labour will win the next GE under their own steam but if they power share with the Lib Dems I could live with that.😁

I hope they don’t win

MT62 Thu 24-Sept-26 21:40:30

LizzieDrip

I will be voting Green at the next election.

My reasons:
1) Tories, Reform, Restore don’t align with my values.

2) Lib Dems betrayed their supporters regarding tuition fees when they formed the coalition. Unforgivable!

3) Labour have had my support all my adult life but after their recent disloyalty and subterfuge, I no longer trust them. Can’t support a political party I don’t trust.

Greens it is then.

That’s unfortunate Greens 😩

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 21:06:09

Maremia

I would vote tactically, to keep out Reform, unless they are gone by then.

I might just do the same, much as I wouldn’t want to.

Maremia Thu 24-Sept-26 17:26:12

I would vote tactically, to keep out Reform, unless they are gone by then.

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 24-Sept-26 15:54:23

Yes, my eldest daughter lives abroad, and read every party manifesto before voting.
It was one party's stance on Gaza that swayed her vote.
I have real regard for Ed Davey. He seems a man of honour and integrity.
A power share with the LibDems would be of interest to me.

M0nica Thu 24-Sept-26 14:33:59

LizzyDrip How long after a party has made a bad mistake does it take you to say, same party but those who made the mistake are long gone.

It seems to be 10 years with Brexit. 2016, we vote out by a sliver. 2026 we are doing our best to get back in. Why should it be longer for a political party?

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 10:09:12

Oreo

I hope that Labour will win the next GE under their own steam but if they power share with the Lib Dems I could live with that.😁

Me too flowers

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 10:08:01

Oreo

In that case Cossy they need to have a serious think about their objectives, what the Greens will do or not do here in the UK for the benefit of UK people and this country, not whatever is happening in the Middle East.

They have policies for our country too and, imho, they are very unlikely to get in.

My children are all very well educated and will have researched all parties.

One is not interested in politics, one is definitely a “floating voter”, two are firmly Green and my step-daughter, quite sensibly, plays her cards close to her chest.

Wouldn’t dream of telling my children to “re-think, it’s their decision for their own reasons. thanks

TerriBull Thu 24-Sept-26 09:48:43

Galaxy

I view both of them as deeply misogynistic and both have had safeguarding issues which have stemmed from the gender nonsense. There are some brave people within the parties trying to stand up against it but they are both lost to it.

My feelings too! the whole issue around women only spaces, in spite of the ruling is far from done and dusted, it's still flouted and those two parties would reverse that ruling if they could which would leave women exactly where hmm Among their benign transgender majority, are those who would be a danger, like the trans woman on trial in Germany for raping a 14 year old girl.

Oreo Thu 24-Sept-26 09:15:29

I hope that Labour will win the next GE under their own steam but if they power share with the Lib Dems I could live with that.😁

Oreo Thu 24-Sept-26 09:11:58

In that case Cossy they need to have a serious think about their objectives, what the Greens will do or not do here in the UK for the benefit of UK people and this country, not whatever is happening in the Middle East.

Cossy Wed 23-Sept-26 17:16:45

Oreo

The Greens are getting the young vote purely on green, eco policies, it can’t be for any other reason as Polanski is either barking mad or the worst sort of cynical self publicist .
The Lib Dems have always had a do gooder/ woolly reputation but Ed Davey seems a decent type and I wouldn’t be averse to them power sharing.
I think the Conservatives will make a comeback but not yet.

Actually I think you’ll find the Gaza situation is a big pull.

Cossy Wed 23-Sept-26 17:15:24

I’ll probably vote Labour, but I know almost all my adult children will probably vote Green. They are all pretty ECO conscious especially DS1, and they are all pro-Palestine. Not anti Jew, nor support Hamas, or any other terrorist grouping. Age ranges 26-42, left out DS2, as he simply has zero interest in politics (must have been swapped at birth grin)

Galaxy Wed 23-Sept-26 16:42:40

I view both of them as deeply misogynistic and both have had safeguarding issues which have stemmed from the gender nonsense. There are some brave people within the parties trying to stand up against it but they are both lost to it.

Oreo Wed 23-Sept-26 16:15:04

The Greens are getting the young vote purely on green, eco policies, it can’t be for any other reason as Polanski is either barking mad or the worst sort of cynical self publicist .
The Lib Dems have always had a do gooder/ woolly reputation but Ed Davey seems a decent type and I wouldn’t be averse to them power sharing.
I think the Conservatives will make a comeback but not yet.

OldFrill Wed 23-Sept-26 15:04:28

paddyann54

*Old Frill* I,m sure you understand that the d’hondt system was set up by Westminster to guarantee a majority COULDN!T happen.
SNP managed it once in spite of that .
It’s proportional representation of sorts.
SNP are now in their 5th election win ,the largest party at Holyrood.

You're right to be sure l understand the voting system in Scotland. Anyone wanting to examine the misappropriation of power to minority parties doesn't need look further than Holyrood.

MrsQuigley Wed 23-Sept-26 15:01:17

I usually vote Lib Dem at the local elections. The councillors are visible to the electorate, often see posts and flyers of what they have been doing for our small town. I wouldn’t vote Lib Dem in a General Election. Some of policies don’t sit well with me. Remember Jo Swinson who kept going on about reversing Bregsit (as she kept calling it).
I have never voted for the Greens. For a long time they didn’t seem to achieve much apart from holding Brighton and Hove.
I did respect Caroline Lucas. Would never vote for Zac Polanski.
I don’t think the Conservatives are toast. I hope not anyway.

fancythat Wed 23-Sept-26 15:00:06

Greens - never have aligned with my anything really.

Lib Dems - used to be far too, well liberal, for my taste.
Before I vote next time, I would look them up.

LizzieDrip Wed 23-Sept-26 14:46:30

I will be voting Green at the next election.

My reasons:
1) Tories, Reform, Restore don’t align with my values.

2) Lib Dems betrayed their supporters regarding tuition fees when they formed the coalition. Unforgivable!

3) Labour have had my support all my adult life but after their recent disloyalty and subterfuge, I no longer trust them. Can’t support a political party I don’t trust.

Greens it is then.