Gransnet forums

News & politics

Other Political Parties UK

(59 Posts)
Cossy Wed 23-Sept-26 12:07:35

I find it really interesting ( and that’s not a euphemism) how we here on this forum appear to be split between those who support Reform and Restore, and those of us who don’t.

Then there’s the view that the Conservatives are “finished”, not something to which I subscribe, though they are not my party of choice.

My thoughts on this thread are directed to both The Green Party and The Lib-Dems.

Before you all have a knee jerk reaction and tell me both their leaders are “bonkers”, “rubbish” or any other insult you find appropriate for Polanski and Davey.

People have stated very clearly, as is their right, that they are sick of our two party system and they are more than prepared to give another party a chance.

Why Reform and in a very few cases Restore, rather than Green or Lib-Dem?

I’m genuinely interested.

They both have published policies and ideas for change.

Is it because your “fears” “anxieties” “hatred” of Asylum Seekers, (& sadly in a few cases, all migrants), overrides absolutely everything else that you’d rather support someone with zero power, making statements and promises which aren’t true and can never be followed through, rather than looking at this Government’s actual achievements in terms of the entire migrant and Asylum Seeker issues.

Why not look at a different Party, why not read up on Green and Lib-Dem current policies and ideas?

MT62 Thu 24-Sept-26 21:40:30

LizzieDrip

I will be voting Green at the next election.

My reasons:
1) Tories, Reform, Restore don’t align with my values.

2) Lib Dems betrayed their supporters regarding tuition fees when they formed the coalition. Unforgivable!

3) Labour have had my support all my adult life but after their recent disloyalty and subterfuge, I no longer trust them. Can’t support a political party I don’t trust.

Greens it is then.

That’s unfortunate Greens 😩

MT62 Thu 24-Sept-26 21:43:45

Oreo

I hope that Labour will win the next GE under their own steam but if they power share with the Lib Dems I could live with that.😁

I hope they don’t win

Madmeg Fri 25-Sept-26 01:34:16

I've always been Lib/Libdem and been a solid party worker in my constituency, which happens to border that of Nick Clegg when he was deputy PM. He met with local parties many times during that period and believe me he had NO CHOICE about those tuit1ion fees. Cameron and his team treated the Libdems as pawns in their own schemes. I am sure those fees were the biggest regret of his life. On the other hand he was responsible for getting the Tories to significantly increase the personal tax allowance, taking millions of low paid out of the tax bracket, something long forgotten since the next Tory Government1 froze the allowance.

I couldn't have voted Tory before then and I certainly wouldn't do now.

Cossy Fri 25-Sept-26 08:26:40

Madmeg

I've always been Lib/Libdem and been a solid party worker in my constituency, which happens to border that of Nick Clegg when he was deputy PM. He met with local parties many times during that period and believe me he had NO CHOICE about those tuit1ion fees. Cameron and his team treated the Libdems as pawns in their own schemes. I am sure those fees were the biggest regret of his life. On the other hand he was responsible for getting the Tories to significantly increase the personal tax allowance, taking millions of low paid out of the tax bracket, something long forgotten since the next Tory Government1 froze the allowance.

I couldn't have voted Tory before then and I certainly wouldn't do now.

Thank you flowers

Oreo Fri 25-Sept-26 08:31:50

MT62

Oreo

I hope that Labour will win the next GE under their own steam but if they power share with the Lib Dems I could live with that.😁

I hope they don’t win

😄

winterwhite Fri 25-Sept-26 15:26:54

Quite right Madmeg re the tuition fees debacle. The Lib Dems were the minor partner in the coalition and couldn’t achieve all they wanted.

Furthermore the Lib Dems were right about Iraq in 2003 and right about Brexit.

MayBee70 Fri 25-Sept-26 19:08:55

Am I right in thinking the LidDems have just won two by elections? Because it isn’t on any of the news.

KayM Sun 27-Sept-26 14:28:52

I was much struck by a political analyst who said the other day on Radio 4 that so far no political party has been brave enough to " tell the truth" about the economy. The truth is that the UK , and Europe generally, are in long term economic decline, not through lack of effort, but by comparison with the countries on The Pacific Rim. We cannot compete in terms of costs, because our costs are inevitably so much higher than theirs. So successive governments are basically rearranging the deckchairs. There are no lifeboats. For the first time in over 100 years the next generation will be less well off than we were. And it depresses people. They look for someone to blame. We are STILL a rich nation by world and historical standards, but decline since about the 60s, or 70s, has been steady. The sell off of social housing, far from creating a more self confident and independent nation as Thatcher expected, has been a disaster.

Cumbrianmale56 Sun 27-Sept-26 15:00:23

The Greens and Reform mercifully seem to have peaked, with both parties showing drops in support, and polls suggesting Labour being the largest party( but not with a majority) at the next election. I wouldn't actually mind a coalition government as it's more representative of the country than the situation we have now.

Cossy Sun 27-Sept-26 15:11:49

Cumbrianmale56

The Greens and Reform mercifully seem to have peaked, with both parties showing drops in support, and polls suggesting Labour being the largest party( but not with a majority) at the next election. I wouldn't actually mind a coalition government as it's more representative of the country than the situation we have now.

I would welcome a coalition - how you like this made up?

In NZ, as I’m sure you all know, there seems to have been a fairly successful 3 way coalition.

How about Lab/Libdem/Green ??

I could support that, but then again it could be Conservative/Reform/Restore 😱😱😱😱

RSALLAN2002 Sun 27-Sept-26 15:16:01

Labour said they would not concrete over the Green Belt - which is exactly what they are doing. I couldn't vote for any other party so I won't be voting next time round.

Cossy Sun 27-Sept-26 15:19:44

KayM

I was much struck by a political analyst who said the other day on Radio 4 that so far no political party has been brave enough to " tell the truth" about the economy. The truth is that the UK , and Europe generally, are in long term economic decline, not through lack of effort, but by comparison with the countries on The Pacific Rim. We cannot compete in terms of costs, because our costs are inevitably so much higher than theirs. So successive governments are basically rearranging the deckchairs. There are no lifeboats. For the first time in over 100 years the next generation will be less well off than we were. And it depresses people. They look for someone to blame. We are STILL a rich nation by world and historical standards, but decline since about the 60s, or 70s, has been steady. The sell off of social housing, far from creating a more self confident and independent nation as Thatcher expected, has been a disaster.

To be fair, whilst I’m not disagreeing, political analysts, much like scientists, do have differing views, even using the same data.

Our elder DS and my step-daughter, are considerably better off than my husband and I were in our forties. Bigger nicer houses, nicer locations. They do however, have much smaller families, one child in one family and two cats and a dog in the other family.

Not only do they have “better” properties, both families holiday abroad at least twice a year, and eat out fairly regularly.

We are happy for them.

DD1 (our first joint child) is about to move into a very nice three bedroomed semi, with a nice large garden, it’s a fair cry from my first property, DD and DiL are in their late twenties.

So not all of the next generation are going to be co worse off than this generation.

spabbygirl Sun 27-Sept-26 15:47:18

I'll be voting Labour if possible, in the cotswolds where I live we don't always have a Labour option & last time we had to vote LibDem to keep out the tories.
I wish Ed Davey was more serious in campaigning, it doesn't help me to see his antics, I need to know about his policies, but I've been around long enough to know that generally they're ok.

meddijess Sun 27-Sept-26 15:58:40

I supported the Greens back in the 80s. Was standing as a councillor when my partner died and I didn't really want to know about anything for a while. Went to Party Conference before that - terribly nice people whose answer to everything seemed to be to form a committee to talk about it. I have no idea really what their policies are today as I cannot stand their leader and would not vote for them because of their anti-Semitic views.

Cumbrianmale56 Sun 27-Sept-26 16:03:07

Cossy

Cumbrianmale56

The Greens and Reform mercifully seem to have peaked, with both parties showing drops in support, and polls suggesting Labour being the largest party( but not with a majority) at the next election. I wouldn't actually mind a coalition government as it's more representative of the country than the situation we have now.

I would welcome a coalition - how you like this made up?

In NZ, as I’m sure you all know, there seems to have been a fairly successful 3 way coalition.

How about Lab/Libdem/Green ??

I could support that, but then again it could be Conservative/Reform/Restore 😱😱😱😱

I could go for Lab/ Lib Dem or Con/ Lib Dem. I think the Lib Dems playing a role in a coalition would push the exttemists to one side.

Susieq62 Sun 27-Sept-26 16:10:26

A lot can happen by 2029 . So I am keeping my thoughts to myself but I suspect you know whom I won’t be voting for !!

GrauntyHelen Sun 27-Sept-26 16:23:59

@Paddyann Thanks you saved me a job there!

WithNobsOnIt Sun 27-Sept-26 16:58:26

I know quite a few people at the last election. Who voted tactically for Reform to try and get rid of the Labour MP where l live.

Complacent. Been there for years. Never spoke out. Nice cushy job for life with a good pension... Sat on massive over 20,000 majority which was cut by half.

They do not recognise the present Labour set up as being the Socialist Party they grew up with. Who really used to represent them and their working class decent values. And they couldn't stand Blair and his slippy bunch of cronies.

Green political ideas have now become mainstream and a bit twee tbh..Not going to happen Even small children know about global warming and climate changes.

Younger people will vote for them in droves irrespective of the feckless Mr Polanski. Because it is fashionable and makes them look good. Lot of hypocrisy there when you unravel some of their lifestyles.

Graphite Sun 27-Sept-26 17:04:47

Global warming and climate change. Twee? Fashionable?

I'll remember that next summer when I watch news stories of people's homes burning to the ground or killed in forest fires.

orly Sun 27-Sept-26 17:06:03

My voting life has been dominated by swings from left to right and back again although this century they have tended to morph into middle ground governments r "do nothing". Each time a party has remained in power too long - notably Labour governments - the country has gone into decline. Coalition governments are a complete waste of time Viz Cameron/Clegg and the newer minority parties are just idealistic fantasists that split the vote and offer no real options. I wish it would revert back to Left and Right with proper, career politicians

icanhandthemback Sun 27-Sept-26 17:19:57

I was more than happy to vote Liberal Democrat but I am unhappy with them wanting to reverse Brexit. It is a very different Europe to the one we left and I don't believe it would help the country at all. I think we would be penalised. I do think we should have close alliances with Europe but just not rejoin. Whilst the Lib Dems pursue that policy, I need to find another party to vote for and I just don't know who that will be but I do know it won't be Reform or Restore.

Olivebranch Sun 27-Sept-26 19:19:53

Lots of politicos on this site which is great.
I don’t understand how anyone can vote Green— they want to get rid of prisons, defund the police, think they can get rid of nuclear weapons by negotiating with Putin and their main priority is Gaza. Polanski has been caught out in numerous lies.
Lib Dem’s want to reverse Brexit— more years of chaos. I am fed up with their authoritarian take on everything— don’t drive faster than 20mph.
Labour will just bankrupt us and Andy is way out of his depth— it’s not enough to do Tik Tok and fiddle with beer at football matches, a pound of bus fares etc.
Well Reform— cryto Nige. No worked out policies and I think Nigel would like to retire.
Restore—- crazy people but their leader is at least genuine.
That only leaves one party to vote for—- stop going on about their previous faults— they have admitted and apologised. New leader, new party.

JPB123 Sun 27-Sept-26 21:15:23

Like Ed Davey, the Lib Dem’s in my neighbourhood have worked very hard.Can’t stand Zak Polanski. Andy Burnham is a nice guy,and I think he’s very sincere in his thoughts and actions. Who wouldn’t like to give help and money to jobless ? But I will still vote Conservative…..just be careful Kemi !

grannybuy Sun 27-Sept-26 23:50:04

Not sure how I’ll be voting in a general election in 2029, but it won’t be Reform or the Green Party. I don’t like Zac Polanski. I don’t think he’s ‘ leader material ‘.

Ray82 Mon 28-Sept-26 00:51:05

3. Years away so will choose if i am still around.I don't trust any of them.Ì am not sure about the messiah from Manchester.