Gransnet forums

House and home

Frying pan advice please

(54 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Oct-26 14:16:55

I want to buy a large frying pan as a gift. I am still using my massive cast iron one from the 1970s which weighs a ton but I can fry, make omelettes, steam, put it in the oven etc with no problem. I am also used to heavy pans...

The person I'm buying for is just now aware of the non-stick coatings leeching into foods but is used to non-stick.

Some pans are £300 plus 😱

They have a busy family. If it could go in a dishwasher that would be a bonus.
They don't have induction now but will be moving probably next year...

Any suggestions that are at least (nearly) non-stick?
And durable...
And easy-care...
Up to (absolute maximum) £150 for a 28cm-ish size?

Thank you!

Aldom Fri 09-Oct-26 14:10:47

midgey

Try TKMaxx, they have really good bargains.

TK Max have a huge range of frying pans etc. etc. I bought all my new pans there following my recent house move. Mine are all for induction hobs. TK is so much better value than the regular shops and top quality.

Olivebranch Fri 09-Oct-26 14:05:05

Buy an enamelled one— safe- and can go in the oven. Mine also looks very swish. Recommended to hand wash but it goes in the dishwasher with no ill effects. Looks good for oven to table. Cost about £35. Make is Ninja.

Alwaysworrying Fri 09-Oct-26 14:03:35

I think if it were me and given all their different requirements l would give them a voucher either for a good quality kitchen shop like Lakeland or somewhere like John Lewis and then you can’t really go wrong. It’s a lot of money and a real pain to make a mistake

Norah Fri 09-Oct-26 14:00:47

Ceramic pans are non PTFE, I believe.

GrannyBettie Fri 09-Oct-26 13:39:49

Pan!

GrannyBettie Fri 09-Oct-26 13:39:40

Try the Lakeland One Plan. I have been very happy with this. Not sure if it can go in oven but I use on induction. Nothing sticks to it and it has fared better than my non stick pans. I can't remember how much it was but don't think it was over £150

Franbern Fri 09-Oct-26 08:38:45

DIfferent people, different results. I purchased Pro-cook saucepans and frying pans, when I was moving and getting ready for induction. Seven years ago. Love these, no probems at all with sticking, and with the frying pans, usually just wipe them over, after use with some kitchen paper and put back in drawer. They look exactly as they did when new. Am careful with storage.

V3ra Fri 09-Oct-26 07:53:03

www.tefal.co.uk/PTFE-All-about-our-non-stick-material

This is interesting about the differences between PTFA and PFOS.
Granted it's the Tefal website!

We had new Scoville pans earlier this year and I'm very happy with them.
I never use metal utensils or plastic though, I bought some nice wooden (teak I think) ones at the same time which are easy to care for with a drop of cooking oil.

My previous plastic/nylon non-stick fish-slice had blistered, so that's something else to consider.

Marmin Fri 09-Oct-26 07:19:22

I would have a look at Hexclad. Used by a lot of chefs and seems to meet your requirements. I use Le Creuset but as you probably know, they are heavy, if indestructible. Hexclad are OK for induction hobs I believe.

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Oct-26 07:16:35

Thanks Erica and others. I have been checking out your suggestions.

Erica23 Fri 09-Oct-26 07:13:41

What ever you buy don’t buy Pro cook. We bought a full set two years ago, they’ve rubbish ! The paint is peeling and they stick like crazy. They’ll be going in the bin soon.

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Oct-26 06:51:37

Thank you.
I don't want to buy Tefal as research suggests it starts to break down at 260°C (and if scratched). This is what they want to replace.

I have said I would replace their Tefal pan so really not buying one doesn't make a good gift Macadia!

Macaydia Fri 09-Oct-26 05:59:40

Dont choose one at all.

denbylover Fri 09-Oct-26 03:46:18

Second vote for - Jamie Oliver and Tefal.

Redhead56 Fri 09-Oct-26 01:42:47

Tefal Jamie Oliver frying pans are the best. I have spent lots of money on frying pans over the years. I can't stand stainless steel everything sticks to them. Cast iron are too heavy for me.
Tefal are oven proof start a meal off on the hob then put in the oven. Use oven gloves of course these pans of which I now have a collection will not let you down.

twiglet77 Thu 08-Oct-26 21:51:05

Look in Lakeland if budget permits, otherwise IKEA pans are really good.

Greyduster Thu 08-Oct-26 21:46:31

I would second Stellar as an excellent brand but I get rid of a complete set of pans because they weren’t induction compatible. They may be different now.

Grammaretto Thu 08-Oct-26 18:37:36

I've found excellent ones at Lakeland. I like a lid on mine and theirs were the best. The non stick surface doesn't peel off like the Lidl one I had previously had.

AuntieE Thu 08-Oct-26 18:11:45

I would suggest you buy a good quality stainless steel frying-pan and make sure it can be used on induction, if they are likely to be moving.

25Avalon Thu 08-Oct-26 17:53:34

Stainless steel will go in the dishwasher. Several brands are available. Stella is good.

ClicketyClick Thu 08-Oct-26 17:46:23

Have a look at Longwell - 28cm just under £60 and PTFE free

longwellco.com/products/hand-hammered-titanium-pan

midgey Thu 08-Oct-26 17:35:37

Try TKMaxx, they have really good bargains.

Sago Thu 08-Oct-26 15:59:24

Hexclad of you have the budget.

Scoville if not.

NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Oct-26 15:42:35

Thanks Greyduster I'm sure it works well as they have great reviews.

I'm looking for something PTFE free really though.

Their existing pans that they want to replace are not PTFE free and as far as I can tell neither are the Scoville, sadly.

Greyduster Thu 08-Oct-26 14:55:18

Look at Scoville Neverstick pans. I bought one of their sauté pans this year and it’s really very good. Dishwasher safe - easy to clean. They do a range of frying pans, including ones with an oven safe handle.