I had flu a few years back and felt so awful it frightened me. After that I got the flu jab even paying to have it myself before my employers (NHS) started giving the jabs to staff.
Strictly 2026- Remembering Sparklefizz.
I had my second dose yesterday and today have woken up feeling as if I have the flu! Anyone else had this. I had a small lie in and feel a bit better now. I’ve never had a reaction from a vaccine before. I’m 71 if that’s relevant
I had flu a few years back and felt so awful it frightened me. After that I got the flu jab even paying to have it myself before my employers (NHS) started giving the jabs to staff.
I have never had flu, not even in 1957, when there was an often forgotten flu epidemic, that led to schools and factories closing. I was at boarding school sleeping in an open dormitory with 15 other girls. Neither I, nor my sisters caught flu. None of my family had it. My father was in the army working on a large army base, he stayed flu free.
For the first few years after I became eligible for it I did not have the flu jab but then someone (medical) pointed out to me, that, while the flu jab specifically protected me from flu, which was probably unnecessary in my case, it also boosted my immune system generally making it possible for me to better fight off any other infections that came my way.
I now have the flu jab.
Erica23 maybe you've inherited your mother's 'health anxiety'. Frankly it's just daft to refuse these vaccinations which are only given for your own good. I've had all the COVID, Pneumonia, Flu and Shingles as well as updated triple injection in an attempt to take responsibility for my own health. I had a sore arm once after the first Shingles jag.
I’m almost certain I haven’t had chicken pox I’m an only one, my mum has health anxiety and fussed over me constantly, she’d have known if I’d have had a spot 🤣
Also my best friend never had them either that was until her son caught them as baby, and she was very poorly.
Erica23 naybe the feeling poorly is a sign you have made a good immunity.
As chicken pox is so infecfious it is surprising not to catch it. I wonder if those saying they havdnt had it just had it very mildly. DD1 had it visibly but DD2 hardly at all. I wouldn't have known had DD1 not just had it
I don’t think I’m going to have the shingles jab either. I’ve never had chicken pox although I’ve been exposed to it through my own children and grandchild. All vaccinations make me feel terrible.
I can remember years ago my Dad had the flu jab and it made him really poorly so it has put me off. I had 2 Covid and now am being offered, flu, shingles and pneumonia but dont think I shall have them. I ought to have pneumonia as I have had it many times, as a baby, a toddler, a junior, again at 21 and just recently as a senior citizen. If these jabs totally stopped you getting ill, then I would have them but they dont do they.
I put off having the shingles vaccine last year as I’d been unwell. And lo and behold I got shingles.
I was so poorly with it for about 6 weeks.
My Gp told me I had to wait about a year before having the vaccine, which I was very keen to have.
So had the first vaccine and felt terrible for days after. So now not sure if I’ll have the second dose.
After my second shingrix vaccine I felt quite poorly for some weeks .What surprised me was the effect it had on my left ankle where I have a plate and nine pins after a bad break . The ankle became very hot and swollen for some weeks .
I have RA so rang my local rheumatology team for help . They suggested topical ibuprofen and if things didn't improve they would inject . The ankle slowly improved but I still get the odd twinge there with a slightly red patch over the ankle bone.
I had previously had a mild dose of shingles with the pustules rash on my right breast and right shoulder back .
I just had a sore arm after both but no other side effects that I noticed.
Shingles can be absolutely horrible and last for ages. Isn't it worth taking the risk of jab side effects for a few days?
After reading this, I'm glad I refused the shingles jab.
I'm another who had never had chickenpox - told my GP this was why, and she was quite surprised.
I get both Covid and Flu jabs; mostly very little reaction.
Yes the shingles one was a tough one for me. I’m usually ok but my arm was so painful for about a week and didn’t feel too good after it. Had the second one six months after and was ok. I’m 66.
GrandmaT2010
No more vaccines for me! I have twice had a reaction to the flu jab. Spent 2 weeks in bed each time, which recurred 3 times ten weeks apart. I have never had chicken pox, although I have been in contact with it numerous times. Therefore no reason to have the jab.
Like you I don't believe I've had chickenpox and despite being exposed to it several times, I didn't catch it.
My husband and I both felt rough after the shingles vaccine. Better that than contracting Shingles.
I had my first one last month, I was so unwell for about a week, my arm was swollen and very red. It hit me the day after I had the vaccine, I was driving home from the vets and had to pull over to cry, I have never felt so sorry for myself 😔 But, I’m sure having shingles would be so much worse so definitely worth it. Quite dreading the second one next January, but will just have to put my big girl pants on.
Yes took me about 4 days to get over it, came on like head cold, but still would go for it and here I had to pay €500 for it,better than shingles
I am also 71. And felt tired and heavy after my second Shingles jab
My arm also really hurt for a week.
But was fine after this. Take. A couple of paracetamols and rest up
It's over now and your are now protected.
Happy Days
😻💉👍
x
I have had both doses and was very unwell after both, including being very sick over a 24 hour period. It took me about a week to recover. When I told the GP surgery after the first dose, they expressed surprised and said they'd never heard of any reactions before.
Daddima, that's exactly what the nurse said when OH had his vac a couple of months ago, he already had his shingles vac years before, she told us this was a new type and was not live
I just wish they would send for me .
Had shingles, vaccination, shingles again. Second time was the type with no rash and was really painful in the side of neck definitely worse than the rash type. In Scotland too old at 79 and not having immune system problem.
I had the old shingles vaccine which annoyingly means I can’t have the Shingrix vaccine on the NHS so I’m thinking about paying for it. My mum died soon after having shingles and a friend of mine developed Alzheimer’s after suffering from it quite badly so I couldn’t wait to have the vaccine asap. My ex husband is refusing to have it; if only the NHS would let me have his. My doctor said years ago that you’re less likely to get shingles if you get out and about a lot but I don’t these days.
Had reason to cancel my first shot and then would you believe it came down with Shingles - had a very stress time beforehand…will be booking up my next (first) vaccine anytime now as when people learn that had Shingles they delight in telling me they had it multiple times and of all the deaths of friends 💔
No more vaccines for me! I have twice had a reaction to the flu jab. Spent 2 weeks in bed each time, which recurred 3 times ten weeks apart. I have never had chicken pox, although I have been in contact with it numerous times. Therefore no reason to have the jab.
Helterskelter1 thank you I may reconsider then
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.