It’s not about superiority Lathyrus it’s about the animals, every time.
Gransnet forums
Health
Vegan/Plant based.
(275 Posts)Is there anyone out there who are vegan or plant based that would like to communicate with me.
I am 79 I was a vegetarian for over 25 years and have now been a vegan for 8 years. Luckily I am on no meds I eat mainly plant based and occasionally have processed vegan meals.
My husband is also vegan and went vegan the year after me because I just couldn't have dead animals in the house anymore. He has done really well and it has really helped his health because had a TIA a about 12 years ago and is only on meds for blood pressure.
Unfortunately the NHS only try to cure people instead of telling us how to prevent health problems
By not eating animal, fish dairy and eggs will really help your health.
Just think of the animals and take a look in their eyes, It is heartbreaking what they go through to get to your plate.
People can make their own choices with regard to animsl consumption.
There's little more off-putting than than imagining your salami sandwich looking at you with baleful eyes...
Lathyrus3 I am in complete agreement with you.
What people choose to eat, or not eat, is an entirely arbitrary judgement that has nothing to do with health or virtue.
But other animals in the food chains consume another. A lion doesn’t look a deer in the eyes and think I won’t do that or a fox a rabbit.
Humans are evolved to eat meat so the decision not to do so and to enter into the feelings and of other species must come from a belief that humans are n some way different from other animals and should step outside that natural chain of life.
That is what I mean by superior, an animal that believes it has responsibility for the life of other animals. A belief in human uniqueness and a place above the rest of the animal world rather than our natural place within it.
A religion of sorts.
The problem is we anthropomorphise animals. In children's literature, in soft toys, in advertising so people are looking at animals and seeing them as humans with furry faces.
It is interesting that the dividing line between anthropomorphic animals and those animals that many vegans get most exercised over is one and the same one.
Yes it leads people to believe it s wrong for a human to eat a pig when the pig,would quite happily eat a human.
🤔
Do you think the whole pet thing has grown worse, in terms of dressing them up, referrng to them as children, and ourselves as dog mamas?
Rainbow bridges, puppy drinks at drive throughs, and doggy dates?
Also, the trend for pet hedehogs, sugar gliders, and more exotic animals.
My friends son picked us up after a hospital appointmemt, and said "Well, I can't quite believe I'm saying this, mother, but I've got to go because it's the dog's birthday and we're having a party for him" 
Ooo Any excuse for a party!
MissAdventure
Do you think the whole pet thing has grown worse, in terms of dressing them up, referrng to them as children, and ourselves as dog mamas?
Rainbow bridges, puppy drinks at drive throughs, and doggy dates?
Also, the trend for pet hedehogs, sugar gliders, and more exotic animals.
That is an interesting thought. But I think there is a big gulf between perceptions of dogs, that there is a societal revulsion at the thought of eating, and cows, pigs etc that most people eat.
However I doubt if many pet owning vegans are among those who think their pets are children and treat them better than they ever treated any child they might have had. I think, if vegans own pets they treat them with respect for what they are - animals in their care-.
Ah, of course.
That makes total sense.
Much more than my thoughts. 
M0nica
MissAdventure
Do you think the whole pet thing has grown worse, in terms of dressing them up, referrng to them as children, and ourselves as dog mamas?
Rainbow bridges, puppy drinks at drive throughs, and doggy dates?
Also, the trend for pet hedehogs, sugar gliders, and more exotic animals.That is an interesting thought. But I think there is a big gulf between perceptions of dogs, that there is a societal revulsion at the thought of eating, and cows, pigs etc that most people eat.
However I doubt if many pet owning vegans are among those who think their pets are children and treat them better than they ever treated any child they might have had. I think, if vegans own pets they treat them with respect for what they are - animals in their care-.
I'd like to hear what vegans feed their cats.
Just Google vegan cat food. Then learn about Taurine, which is essential for cats.
Is this vegan food preferred by cats. Have trials been run where cats are offered vegan food along side the food they would normally receive plus what they would eat if they were living in the wild.
Presumably if the cats clearly preferred meat or fish the that is what they would be .
I didn't think cats could live on a vegan diet.
Probably wrong, and perhaps this has changed over the years.
MissAdventure
I didn't think cats could live on a vegan diet.
Probably wrong, and perhaps this has changed over the years.
The simple answer is no, cats cannot live on a purely vegan diet. Cats are what are known as 'obligate carnivores', which means their metabolism relies on nutrients which can only be found in meat. When I worked in a vet surgery, we had a woman come in who was vegan, and who wanted to put her cat onto a vegan diet too. Our vet explained why this was not a good idea and why it can lead to a whole range of health issues in cats, including heart problems and organ damage.
The simple answer is no, cats cannot live on a purely vegan diet. Cats are what are known as 'obligate carnivores', which means their metabolism relies on nutrients which can only be found in meat. When I worked in a vet surgery, we had a woman come in who was vegan, and who wanted to put her cat onto a vegan diet too. Our vet explained why this was not a good idea and why it can lead to a whole range of health issues in cats, including heart problems and organ damage.
So so all the hype about vegan cat food meaning your cat can be a healthy vegan is not true. Mind you cat foods and dog foods are UPF anyway.
We don’t recommend a UPF diet for humans, but pets?
When I said cats cannot live on a purely vegan diet, I wasn't talking about the manufactured 'vegan cat food', which has the supplements which are essential to a cat's diet, which they can only otherwise get from meat. If someone did wish to feed their cat a vegan diet, they would need to ensure that it was being supplemented by those nutrients.
And not all dogs or cats are fed on a UPF diet - our dog is raw fed and thrives on it, as do many others.
Cats just go out and kill the meat they need. Millions of birds each year but I guess that’s ok?? Rodents too. But they’re not terribly cuddly so no need to worry about that.
No such thing as a vegan cat
I can just imagine the cat scampering to it's food dish, rolling it's eyes, and thinking "not again!!!" 
It'll probably go out and eat a mouse.
Lathyrus3
Cats just go out and kill the meat they need. Millions of birds each year but I guess that’s ok?? Rodents too. But they’re not terribly cuddly so no need to worry about that.
No such thing as a vegan cat
There is such a thing as a compulsory vegan cat, as we’ve already heard.
Whether that’s what the cat would choose is another matter.
It probably sits in front of the tv, thinking about meaty chunks in jelly, and salivates at the thought of ever having the chance to sample them.
MissAdventure
I can just imagine the cat scampering to it's food dish, rolling it's eyes, and thinking "not again!!!"
It'll probably go out and eat a mouse.
In fairness, if I was getting fed boring old brown rocks every day, I'd be tempted to go out and forage for myself too! 
Mollygo
Lathyrus3
Cats just go out and kill the meat they need. Millions of birds each year but I guess that’s ok?? Rodents too. But they’re not terribly cuddly so no need to worry about that.
No such thing as a vegan catThere is such a thing as a compulsory vegan cat, as we’ve already heard.
Whether that’s what the cat would choose is another matter.
Only if you keep it indoors.
And not even then if it’s like my old house in the middle of some fields. 😱🦎🐀🪰🦇!!!
But what’s the philosophy behind a vegan having a pet that kills and eats other animals.
Or conversely a pet that eats meat naturally but is prevented from doing so by a human.
I don’t think vegans can justify having pets under either of those circumstances.
“Think of the animals” The dead prey or the the deprived pet?
I was wonder how far the belief goes or whether (like for most of us) it falters on the rock of what we want to suit us?
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »
