Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Non spiky Politics 2

(89 Posts)
fancythat Tue 06-Oct-26 13:44:45

I personally, will be using Gransnet Cafe for Politics from now on.

Anything anyone wants to discuss here?

Russian pneumonic plague?
Anything else?

How do people who dont normally vote Labour think Andy Burnham is doing generally?
Personally, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.
Waiting to see how he does in a crisis. Such as Iran, Russia, health stuff, Country financial problems, etc.

Wyllow3 Thu 08-Oct-26 00:35:46

I dint think the brief for this forum is laid out for politics at all!

Just read its description.

Shinamae Wed 07-Oct-26 23:14:47

petra

Whitewavemark2

Cossy

So, a very non spiky polite question.

This particular thread appears to only be for those not supporting Labour?

In which case I’ll leave you all to your own thoughts and in peace smile

😄😄😄 it should be renamed

Non-spiky politics, because you are not allowed to disagree with me

😄😄😄.

And if you dare to the report button is at the ready.
The real politics thread is for those of us ( left or right) who have a broad knowledge of the subject.
We respect a properly thought out argument.
But admittedly we don’t suffer fools gladly. You have to know your onions when debating on The Real Politics thread, otherwise it goes in Chat.

And the disruptors just can’t keep away…😂🤣😂🤣
Absolutely pathetic

Meandrogrog Wed 07-Oct-26 19:18:59

Oreo

I also agree with Kemi Badenoch about scrapping Inheritance Tax for family houses.
It’s set at a ridiculous £500,000 at the moment, a modest three bedroom house or bungalow in the South East!
Is that real wealth, I don’t think so.

I believe it was originally brought in to affect only the very welathy but like all taxes the net widens. Completely agree it should be changed and it is one of the good idea that Kemi is coming up with to make the Conservative party more electable.

fancythat Wed 07-Oct-26 19:12:26

Oreo

I would definitely like to discuss the Russian pneumatic plague!
We all know what happened in the Pandemic that leaked from the Wuhan Lab😬
We can’t be at all certain that this will be contained.

If it is all true, then what are Countries[I presume not just China and Russia] doing in the labs?
Is it all good for humanity?

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 19:05:40

I also agree with Kemi Badenoch about scrapping Inheritance Tax for family houses.
It’s set at a ridiculous £500,000 at the moment, a modest three bedroom house or bungalow in the South East!
Is that real wealth, I don’t think so.

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 19:03:29

I would definitely like to discuss the Russian pneumatic plague!
We all know what happened in the Pandemic that leaked from the Wuhan Lab😬
We can’t be at all certain that this will be contained.

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 19:01:02

Non spiky means exactly that, it’s easy enough for anyone to understand.

Meandrogrog Wed 07-Oct-26 18:38:25

Maremia

Oh! Oh! Are there Thread Police now on this non spikey Chat?

Please leave us in peace!

fancythat Wed 07-Oct-26 18:15:58

This particular thread appears to only be for those not supporting Labour?

That would be like saying that Labour supporters are unable to go along with the Gransnet cafe rules.
So that is a no. Hopefully?

Either way, Gransnet cafe rules.

fancythat Wed 07-Oct-26 18:11:47

To anyone who doesnt know., the rules of the Gransnet cafe, written by GN, can be seen by everyone, I would hope.
If you cant see them, ask GN about the cafe rules.

Maremia Wed 07-Oct-26 17:46:05

Oh! Oh! Are there Thread Police now on this non spikey Chat?

Meandrogrog Wed 07-Oct-26 17:11:57

Whitewavemark2

Cossy

So, a very non spiky polite question.

This particular thread appears to only be for those not supporting Labour?

In which case I’ll leave you all to your own thoughts and in peace smile

😄😄😄 it should be renamed

Non-spiky politics, because you are not allowed to disagree with me

😄😄😄.

I thought we were keeping spikiness out of this thread? That is why I am posting on it. You appear to be introducing it which is not fair.

The posters on here are just airing their thoughts which we are all allowed to do.

I suggest you find other political threads which are more combative and leave this one alone!

Galaxy Wed 07-Oct-26 15:47:52

I have found it interesting that in a very small sample sizegrin the football fans that i know have all been opposed to the re introduction of alcohol at matches.

Smileless2012 Wed 07-Oct-26 15:41:41

I also post on the 'News & Politics' forum which I enjoy and look forward to enjoying posting here too.

I was also against reducing the number of jury trials fancythat.

petra Wed 07-Oct-26 14:33:20

Whitewavemark2

Cossy

So, a very non spiky polite question.

This particular thread appears to only be for those not supporting Labour?

In which case I’ll leave you all to your own thoughts and in peace smile

😄😄😄 it should be renamed

Non-spiky politics, because you are not allowed to disagree with me

😄😄😄.

And if you dare to the report button is at the ready.
The real politics thread is for those of us ( left or right) who have a broad knowledge of the subject.
We respect a properly thought out argument.
But admittedly we don’t suffer fools gladly. You have to know your onions when debating on The Real Politics thread, otherwise it goes in Chat.

WithNobsOnIt Wed 07-Oct-26 14:13:30

Burnham is now coming to the end of his honeymoon period.

Think he may be feeling more than a tad uncomfortable about his time as Mayor of Greater Manchester.

Re his relationship with Sheikh Mansour and his multi billion pound investment in the of regeneration of East Manchester.

This is where all the devolution stuff came from.

Should be interesting. Have to wait and see.

Non spiky politics? Sounds like something Buddhists would go for.

Peace Man.

David49 Wed 07-Oct-26 13:57:19

In a non spiky way Im supporting Burnham until I see the budget changes, maybe I will change that maybe not.
As for Badenoch, no, not my choice of PM and Im not expecting her to get elected

Aveline Wed 07-Oct-26 13:49:07

Hmmmm. When I read the title of this thread my immediate thought was and remains that politics is an inherently spiky area!

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 12:56:29

WW2 😂🤣😂🤣🙂🙂

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Oct-26 12:55:11

Cossy

So, a very non spiky polite question.

This particular thread appears to only be for those not supporting Labour?

In which case I’ll leave you all to your own thoughts and in peace smile

😄😄😄 it should be renamed

Non-spiky politics, because you are not allowed to disagree with me

😄😄😄.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 12:47:18

So, a very non spiky polite question.

This particular thread appears to only be for those not supporting Labour?

In which case I’ll leave you all to your own thoughts and in peace smile

Shinamae Wed 07-Oct-26 12:43:29

I’m definitely warming to Kemi, she is saying all the right things but then don’t all politicians do that and when they get into Power, they start with the excuses of why they actually can’t?
The big one is “nobody will pay inheritance tax on family Home under conservatives..
And so much more…..if only….🥹

fancythat Wed 07-Oct-26 12:30:09

[I will be disappearing for a few days from the forum, as of sometime tomorrow].

Arny I'll be back smile.!!

fancythat Wed 07-Oct-26 12:28:46

There does appear to be a feeling of hope that was sadly lacking under KS or is that just me hmm.

I agree.

I like some things that have been abolished, that Sir Kier was proposing.
Such as no juries and ID cards.

fancythat Wed 07-Oct-26 12:26:51

I havent made my mind up on Kemi really.
I think I will wait until nearer an election of some sort, to properly look into things.
I think she is growing into the job?