"Im not leaving my cat behind" he moaned. "Hes a pedigree and I paid £300 for him. Help me get him out of this bush will you?" And he gave her an expectant look.
Enid began to think, she still needed to get home. Did Mason live nearby, if he was carrying a cat was it his? Enid started to squirm as the arm around her propelled her towards the bushes.
But as he held up his arm to hail an oncoming cab, the ginger cat squirmed, scratched his arm badly with its long claws and made a huge leap into the nearby bushes.
Inwardly he felt crushed, despite his bravado, as he had thought she might approve of the dress and really all he wanted was her acceptance of his courageous new persona.
Enid burst into tears, clumsily hugging Mason (and the cat); ‘Oh Mason, I’m so sorry’, she snottily sobbed, ‘I’ve had too much to drink - how on Earth are we going to get home? Please help me!’