Gransnet forums

Food

Freezing food

(34 Posts)
Shel1951 Fri 09-Oct-26 10:24:04

What do you freeze? I am at the moment freezing avocado's as the pack is cheaper than single avocado's to buy,
I freeze onions,mince,carrots,

dalrymple23 Sat 10-Oct-26 15:20:34

No, Shell. Chop and freeze. Never blanch.

Astitchintime Sat 10-Oct-26 13:52:14

I will try freezing anything too. I’ve bought a food vacuum packing thingy which removes the need to blanch any veggies, uncooked meat takes up far less room and I’ve even portioned cooked rice pudding, vac packed it and frozen that.

Shel1951 Sat 10-Oct-26 13:43:19

I use the tubs that food came in, these were blitzed and have lemon juice pepper, salt, took lid off to show ,this is going into the fridge for the morning

exosweet Sat 10-Oct-26 12:11:43

Shel1951

What do you freeze? I am at the moment freezing avocado's as the pack is cheaper than single avocado's to buy,
I freeze onions,mince,carrots,

I freeze bread, berries, bananas, leftover cooked meals, and chopped vegetables to save money and reduce food waste. Freezing onions and mince is especially handy when preparing quick meals. I've never tried freezing avocados before! Do they keep their texture and taste well after defrosting? It's a great idea to buy larger packs when they're cheaper.

Cressy Fri 09-Oct-26 18:48:42

I am pre diabetic so freeze all my bread and mashed potatoes as freezing increases resistant starch. More so if toasted - the bread not the mash!

HowVeryDareYou2 Fri 09-Oct-26 18:37:29

I freeze mince, chicken breast fillets, chicken drumsticks, fresh fish, and bread (3 at a time, in sandwich bags)

Usedtobeblonde Fri 09-Oct-26 18:22:28

I remember the days many years ago when I would buy a whole spring lamb and later a larger Autumn lamb , they would come cut up but I would portion out chops in family size portions.
I couldn’t afford to buy now but also don’t use so much meat now.
We had large chest freezers then, now I have three drawers in a fridge freezer.

Tenko Fri 09-Oct-26 17:46:25

I buy meat and poultry in bulk from a local farm shop and freeze in portion size . I batch cook soups , stews and mince and freeze in takeaway containers or the fresh soup pots . I tend to freeze veg and tomato’s if I’ve got loads . Interesting about avocados .

Norah Fri 09-Oct-26 17:36:32

JenniRen

As avocados are versatile, not for just on toast, I wonder if freezing would work if you wanted to use them later in cakes, mousses etc?

I peel, mash, lemon, freeze. Works well.

JenniRen Fri 09-Oct-26 17:30:47

We like them best when we go to our son's for roast dinner 😀

twiglet77 Fri 09-Oct-26 17:21:58

JenniRen

I said I'd never cut up a butternut squash again after slicing my thumb when attempting the last one but the frozen chunks are too small to roast well. They're fine for soup.

My dogs love them mashed with their supper! I do roast them too, just not for long.

JenniRen Fri 09-Oct-26 17:15:25

I said I'd never cut up a butternut squash again after slicing my thumb when attempting the last one but the frozen chunks are too small to roast well. They're fine for soup.

twiglet77 Fri 09-Oct-26 17:11:13

I buy frozen chopped garlic, sweet potato and butternut squash, frozen mashed potato and skin-on fries, but I buy chopped (fresh) onions when they’re yellow-stickered and pop in the freezer. A bag lasts me six months.

I grate dry crusts to keep a bag of coarse breadcrumbs in the freezer, nice with grated cheese to top a pasta bake or fish pie. Blackberries of course, French beans from the garden, leftovers of almost anything (rice pudding, whipped cream frozen in spoonfuls, any meat dishes etc).
I do look for yellow-stickered reductions that can be frozen whenever I shop.

JenniRen Fri 09-Oct-26 17:04:28

As avocados are versatile, not for just on toast, I wonder if freezing would work if you wanted to use them later in cakes, mousses etc?

JenniRen Fri 09-Oct-26 16:56:57

I freeze most things but have never tried freezing avocados or sliced mushrooms except for snpmall whole mushrooms in eg a boeuf bourguignon.

Meat, poultry, fish, vegetables, chopped onions, berries and fruit from the garden, bread, cakes, stock (homemade), ready meals both home home-made and some bought, soups.

If I freeze cooked dishes eg cottage pie, bolognese sauce etc, I tend not to add the potato or pasta.

I used to make and freeze tomato sauce but we didn't grow any tomatoes this year.

Shel1951 Fri 09-Oct-26 16:43:51

Onions all the time,never mushrooms, always end up throwing half a punnet, must try freezing, do I blanch first?

foxie48 Fri 09-Oct-26 16:35:28

I freeze home grown tomatoes, cherry toms just get chucked in a bag but I skin plum or beef toms as they get used for sauces and soups. I haven't bought any tinned toms for years. Any surplus soft fruit gets frozen and I'll also freeze any leftovers that I know won't get used the next day. I often batch cook casseroles etc so I've got something I can use in a hurry. My indoor freezer is always full and my outdoor one slowly gets emptied over the year until the picking season starts again.

dalrymple23 Fri 09-Oct-26 14:57:44

Terrific to see you back MOnica. Hope you are ....... all words seem inappropriate,

Frankly, as long as it is not moving, I freeze it! So addicted am I to not wasting anything and buying yellow sticker items, we now have three massive freezers!! For two of us!!

For Matts mum: I have an electric hachoir, so buy a large quantity of both ginger and garlic, chop it up and then freeze it. Easy to just break off as much as is needed. I do the same with herbs which we grow. Much cheaper to buy fresh mushrooms, slice or quarter them, bag up and just throw in the freezer. Ditto onions.

DamaskRose Fri 09-Oct-26 14:36:15

M0nica

I will freeze anything once, then not freeze again if it doesn't work.

With you 100% M0nica. Anything is worth a try.

Mattsmum2 Fri 09-Oct-26 14:30:18

I freeze root ginger in pieces, it’s easy to grate when frozen, skin too. Chilli’s, lemon zest (I zest the whole lemon and freeze in teaspoon measures), lemon juice, bread and birthday cake. Obviously bags of veg, spinach, peas and sweetcorn. I’ve recently got a new large free standing freezer in my utility room so I’m busy filling it with things that make life easier. Recently got sliced mushrooms which are handy if I want to do an omelette. I don’t think anything is off limits to freeze, even cheese, but what the item is like after defrosting may not be as good as the fresh food.

Jaxjacky Fri 09-Oct-26 14:26:57

Still a reasonable price too Beechnut

Beechnut Fri 09-Oct-26 13:49:00

I love a Viennetta Jaxjacky. Today I bought the Yule log one but it won’t still be here at Christmas that’s for sure 🤣

Jaxjacky Fri 09-Oct-26 13:17:00

I’ve recently prepared and frozen parsnips for Christmas Day and there are chillies frozen from last year.
I freeze meat/poultry particularly any deals at our village butcher or winnings in our pub meat draw.
Otherwise it’s bought vegetables, ice, Viennetta’s, breaded fish, fish fingers, chips, and quiche.
Soon there will be homemade stuffing and cheesecake.

Calendargirl Fri 09-Oct-26 13:14:30

I freeze fish, mince, chicken, pheasants, partridges.

Home made fish pies, lasagnes, cottage pies, soup, blackberry coulis to go on my Greek yogurt, frozen fruit to go with porridge, apple sauce,

Leeks, peas, broad beans, green beans, blackberries, peppers.

Bread, left over gravy, Yorkshire puddings, sloes, butter when on offer.

Lots of things really.

Used to freeze milk, but think the plastic containers are thinner now, and they crack as they defrost, spilling milk all over. So now I buy long life milk for emergencies. Yogurt doesn’t freeze well either. sad

M0nica Fri 09-Oct-26 13:09:58

It wasan instinctive poest!