What on earth has happened to everyone’s comprehension?
I’m dismayed that no one was able to answer my question, taking the thread off into another direction, from my
key word being FIRST, then proceeded to answer questions I hadn’t asked? then research on Jewish cookery consulting others. I have no interest in adopting Jewish methods of cookery, only asked if anyone had boiled shin beef (from the leg, for long slow cooking) not how to cook brisket.
So frustrating when a thread takes on a life of its own and initial question is ignored.
anyway, just in case anyone was tempted to boil shin beef/stewing steak FIRST -
Experiment results - boiling shin beef so you don’t need to
I had so much freshly cut in front of me shin beef cut up by
the butcher, I halved the amount, boiled up one half, omy goodness the scum, then cooked as usual, for a goulash in the slow cooker - it was ok, we thought the meat was slightly tougher and drier than it should be, served with mashed potatoes and green beans.
The other portion - I sealed the meat, cooked as usual in the slow cooker, slightly different ingredients, peppers and butter beans, was delicious, meat tender as usual, served with ribbon noodles, no one (seemed to) notice that we had shin beef casseroled twice in 4 days as the dishes were so different!
amazing.
result - no more boiling beef FIRST and stop experimenting