Ignore the time given - completely. Simmer slowly and leave for an hour or more if necessary. I've been making jams for 40 years now, starting out helping my grandmother, and I found that not all jam thermometers are quite correct, mine has to boil to a degree higher to reach setting point.
I have a huge jam saucepan, and I have a long-handled perforated underthingy that disperses the heat evenly under the base, I can't think what it's called, but it stops the jam from ever burning as long as I use it, combined with a long slow simmer rather than a boil, particularly towards the end.
I like to make thick, dense jams because then they keep for years and years, the thinner ones go off more quickly. Yes, all of our jams do get used, but I like to have a good variety and ring the changes and not to have to make too many each year. This year was gooseberry and redcurrant, and apple and ginger.
Jam-making time is the only time of year I allow myself to make scones. I think I could live on them for a few weeks if I let myself!