Jimmypickleball
I haven't been on this forum in awhile. I have two estranged adult children. In their 30's. I have been divorced since they were 6&7.
I had a major life challenge of being injured at work while working for UPS. It caused me to have to resign after 17 years of service. I was out on workmans comp for 2 years before I resigned. I was able to be Mr. Mom for those 2 years. It was the best time of my life.
Once I resigned and started Nursing School my wife decided she wanted a divorce. Great timing. I went from making good money to almost making no money and living in an apartment.
Long story short, I was able to complete Nursing School and move on with my life. During the hard times of paying rent and tuition I didn't have much money to do anything with my children. I did what I could.
Later when they went off to college I sent money when I could.
I was able to buy both children a used car while they were in high school. I was not a dead beat dad.
I couldn't finance all the activities their Mom could because I wasn't making 6 figures like she was.
She claims she didn't turn the kids against me, but from how I have been treated over the years it is hard to believe she hasn't in some way.
So here I am, 10 years or so later. Son is married I have a granddaughter I was able to see once when she was one. They live out of state. Last summer I ask if I could come by and visit because I was coming through their state. I was told " it is not a good time" don't know what that means?
My Daughter has met a very nice young man and work is they may be getting married soon. She recently graduated from College and is working. She has not contacted me since her graduation. She did not tell me she graduated or that she is working. I had to hear it from her Mother.
I appreciate if someone reads this and can share some insight as to why this could be happening.
I currently have a therapist and I have read several books on estrangement.
For now I am trying to accept that they are at the point in their lives that they feel they can't do everything themselves and there is not need for their parents.
I would never pry into their business. I would just like a text or call from them once in awhile.
I had open heart surgery last year and never heard from my Son. My Daughter came and saw me. That is the last time I have heard from her.
Thanks for reading this.
This post just made me cry. Now I am angry. Your children are heartless and it's not your fault. No doubt they are the ones who make it "about them"...especially the one that told you that you make things about yourself. Because I have read that phrase is most typically used by narcissist personalities as a way to dismiss the other person's feelings.
They don't care. They are the only thing that is important, their needs, not yours, yours do not matter, your opinons or advice doesn't matter, that's why they tell you that you make it all about you, so they can reject and dismiss what you say because they do not want to put in the effort to listen to you, at all.
It's demeaning, cruel and self centered. I've noticed they seem to blame whichever parent is the one who seems "weakest" so to speak, when something goes wrong like divorce, in your case your wife made the decision, split the family. She wasn't happy for whatever reason, boredom or whatever, and your'e blamed for that? Your kids probably think you could have done "something" about it, but I have seen when people get bored with marriage or find another, there is literally nothing that can be done.
She no doubt is also a narcissist and children naturally look towards the dominant one in the family and follow suit on the narcissism. I bet they treat her differently than you, even though she's the one to split the family, they look at you as the cause....not her, the dominant money maker who put herself first as a priority over her family.
That's a shame, since it sounds like you were a good parent. My heart breaks for you, I know how it feels to love children so much then have them not give a hoot about that, even claim you don't because you don't live up to their expectations.