Interesting video dd. I see what you mean about imagining they're using the abacus. Surprised they're using it in the exam. Thinking about it, as long as they know where to find the answer, with repeated checking, they will eventually not have to rely on the abacus as much.
I'm enjoying revising my x tables with the ideas here. I agree about confusion re the decomposition method of subtraction. Not the same at all, but gets the same answer.
Badenkate, I take your point, but think we all have different skills and strengths. I was taught a long, long time ago, so perhaps modern methods would have made more sense. I apparently started out well enough in the lower levels, but remember when others could make assumptions/informed guesses about numbers, I never could. I couldn't make that leap or see that link. Languages were my forte. I remember my best friend(still is) who went on to become Head of Maths in a large comp, saying to me aged c. 8/9, 'I just don't know why you don't understand.'