No alcohol, no bread, cakes, sweets or biscuits. Lots of veg, enough fruit. Clean your teeth rather than snack. Eat your evening meal early then nothing until breakfast.
Take every opportunity to burn a few more calories. Jog on the spot while the kettle boils, that sort of thing.
It has worked for me but you do need to keep at it and really want to lose weight.
Enjoy your holiday whatever your weight ?
Gransnet forums
Dieting & exercise
How can I lose weight quick? Help!
(79 Posts)My ds kindly paid for a very nice trip to Europe for my birthday, the bad news is it's in 12 weeks time.
I have 12 weeks to lose my lockdown weight. I'm not massively overweight, I think my BMI is about 30-31, so 1 to 2 stones (14-28 pounds) would be wonderful. But the problem as I get older is the weight does not shift easily. Slimming world diet doesn't work for me, I don't think I can do keto and the 800 calories a day or fasting ones seem a bit strict. I'm ashamed to say I don't exercise either. I work full time in a sedentary job. I think most of all I need some motivation to just get me started. I have a bad back so I'm a bit restricted with physical activity, but it's my back pain that I think will be helped if I lose weight. Why can't I do this?? I feel pathetic. If I can see weight come off quick I think I can stick with it better...any tips?? 
By the way just cutting back and eating healthier does not make me lose weight, my diet is actually quite healthy but I just eat too much of it 
Will power is the name of the game.
I stand on the scales and if the reading is not to my liking i eat salad, salad, salad and no in-between snacks, the weight comes off ASAP.
HOPE YOU HAVE AN ABSOLUTELY FABBBBBULOUS TIME AWAY... 
Cut out cake, sweets and biscuits.
Go easy on bread, pasta and cereal.
Eat a fruit and veg salad every day.
Use a tea plate for main meal.
Have two days each week where you eat only 500 cals.
Make and eat veg soup on these days.
Drink lots of water.
Walk, cycle or swim for 45 mins every day.
My friend and I both lost a stone in seven weeks (and still managed a glass or two of vino at weekends.)
Good luck Leonora and have a great holiday!
Swimming especially if there is a ladies hour if you are as self conscious as I am. Brisk, it must be brisk, walking. Even 5-10 minutes three times a day. Going from no exercise to lots is very hard. A smaller plate, no seconds. Drink some water half an hour before eating. Don’t aim to lose weight fast. You’ll put it on quickly. Just tone up and your clothes will be more comfortable. Don’t buy smaller sizes. Remember you are you and when you are being photographed the most important thing to wear is a smile. Relax, smile, relax, enjoy.
What a lovely son. France is wonderful in late spring. Enjoy. Come back and tell us, well me at least about it.
There are diet plans with prepared calorie counted meals like Jane Plan or Diet Chef.
What could sound easier? Portion control, calories counted for you no temptation to snack when cooking.
I tried them both (not cheap) and found the Jane Plan meals virtually inedible. The Diet Chef meals were better, you had more freedom of choice and yes, I lost weight.
But, I was permanently hungry and became totally fixated on food.
I also felt ashamed that I as a keen and good cook should be living off ready meals.
You would almost certainly lose weight but it would all go back on equally almost certainly when you went back to “normal” food.
Sorry to sound depressing.
Good luck though and when you’ve done it come back and tell me how!
Have a look at the NHS 12 week weight loss plan and see if it might suit you. No weight loss plan will work for you unless you’re willing to commit to it.
www.nhs.uk/better-health/lose-weight/
Buy a portion plate and use it!
All you need to do is eat loads of vegetables, you will feel so healthy and not have room for the bad things. Youve got to be sensible of course, and lay off the chocolate and cakes. And no booze also, its too many calories and weakens the willpower.
But please, you must get some exercise! It will cure your bad back and help weight loss. Not to say your general health!
NB I wish I did the above all the time - I dont!
The 5:2 is the only thing that works for me these days. It’s a healthy way of life as well - it certainly lowered my blood pressure, as well as my weight. It’s not as difficult as you might think, as you always have a “normal” day to look forward to, and you don’t have to spend the five non-fast days counting calories. I try to stick to 600 calories on my fast days, though as you say you can go up to 800. I have all my calories in an evening meal, which works better for me than small meals throughout the day. Exercise is important, though, both for weight loss and for health. I can recommend the Fabulous Fifties routines on YouTube - they start at 10/15 minutes so you can combine a few or just do one, in the comfort of your own home. I appreciate you have to take care if you have back problems though.
I hope you enjoy your trip - how lovely to have something to look forward to and work towards!
At the start of the pandemic I lost weight purely by sticking to three meals a day, not eating between meals and not eating anything after my evening meal. Also cutting out bread helps enormously but that takes a bit more planning, meals wise. Because I thought there would be a problem with food supplies I wasn’t tempted to eat between meals at all.
There are loads and loads of info ou there about loosing weight 
Just Google as opposed to asking a relatively small group of people
Generally, people say what country they're going to not just a whole continent! I wouldn't say I was going to Africa I'm say which country I was going to visit. Are you American?
Aveline
Why not say that? It sounded odd to just say 'Europe'.
Really? What's more odd is your comment. I don't know why it matters which country I'm going to 
Walking is very good for back pain - and losing weight. I'd go for a gentle toning up - rather than unhealthy, rapid weight loss.
How about doing three short walks, before work, lunchtime - and after work? You could increase gradually from ten minutes to half an hour. That would fire up your metabolism. Try the apple diet too (an apple before every meal) to prevent overeating.
I sympathise and am in the same boat, though not going to France this year! I do eat healthily , cook from scratch, no takeaways or ready meals, fruit and veg every day. Yes, I need to cut portion sizes and should move more, but it is not easy.
Slimming World. A healthy way of eating and you could lose your excess weight in 12 weeks.
The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. Doing it quickly is Cambridge type diets which work but are unhealthy and not sustainable.
If you cannot do keto diets or or extreme exercise you will not lose the weight before the holiday, accept it buy bigger clothes if you need them and have a lovely holiday.
Why not say that? It sounded odd to just say 'Europe'.
France to be specific
Try food combining and be strict about it. I wanted to lose weight for my silver wedding and it worked a treat. Google it and see what’s involved. I found it easy combined with walking more.
Just unspecified 'Europe'?
Eat less, move more. Walk as much as you are able, and perhaps try swimming as well.
Don't have anything "naughty" in the cupboards or fridge. Have plenty fruit for when you really have to eat something - just a few grapes or orange segments at a time.
What a lovely present - enjoy your holiday.
I’m sure you will enjoy your holiday as you are Leonora 
Perhaps just having been on hols will motivate / kick start getting abit slimmer and fitter?
I haven’t really got the answer- apart from portion control, and maybe abit more walking. I know it’s hard to fit in with a sedentary job.
Somebody will correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe walking to be good for backache?
Main thing is enjoy your holiday!
Cut out all fat! Gallbladder pain made me do it. I lost 8 lbs in a week.
I didn't go hungry either, just changed my eating habits. I have had no pain since December!
Keto isn't particularly difficult, and works well
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »

