When do you go, Doodle?
I think you are very brave, especially as the last cruise you did with DH was when he was very poorly, as I recall🌷
Sending you my spare Big Girls' Knickers.
HTH x
Good Morning Sunday 11th October 2026
Yes another new thread. A gentle chat for old friends and new
When do you go, Doodle?
I think you are very brave, especially as the last cruise you did with DH was when he was very poorly, as I recall🌷
Sending you my spare Big Girls' Knickers.
HTH x
Grammaretto how many times have you seen the new place? Have you exchanged contracts yet? That might be a silly question I know that in Scotland things are done differently than here.
Well I’ve packed my clothes just got all the rest to do now.
I did see on another thread that lots of books have gone off to a charity.
That's good news.
I'm unable to see round the new house. Their solicitors say no.
How strange that seems to me.
We have just allowed the buyer of my mother-in-law's house to go to measure up.
Could you ask the estate agent to ask the owners?
The request just came via the estate agent.
Why is the solicitor making this choice?
How very frustrating.
I hope you can relax and enjoy the cruise Doodle. 🚢
I had quite an easy day with just the antique dealer taking a few things and giving me a few pounds. Plus a potter friend who's helping me by taking materials to her place until I'm ready to have them back. She's a great help.
I'm unable to see round the new house. Their solicitors say no. 😟
Your camping ground sounds very nice NN and how exciting to be planning a Carribbean cruise.
I hope all Lobstars are doing well.
Well I really thought I had mentioned it but now I’m beginning to wonder. Yes I’m going on a cruise. 7 days to Norway with my dear friend and neighbour. She’s so excited and I’m not.
I’m finding it really hard as DH and I did so many cruises and Norway was our favourite destination but I’m putting on my big girl pants and doing it. Mainly for family’s sake as they want me to have a holiday and for my friend who’s been so good to me. I’m sure it will be fine when I get going but the anxiety about it had brought back my tinnitus to orchestra level for a week or two now.
Your right about going north ixion but it’s the wrong time of year for the Northern Lights and we’re going from Southampton so won’t get anywhere near the Arctic Circle on a seven day cruise. DH and I have been past the Arctic circle several times and seen the northern lights but this will hopefully just been a scenic trip along a few fjords.
NN your new pitch sounds wonderful.. do you leave your motor home there for a while or is it one you tow behind you (well behind your car) or is it one that you can drive?
That’s something nice for you to look forward to after Christmas.
Grammaretto how’s your packing coming on.
Doodle, about this cruise - did you tell us?
My bet is on the Arctic Circle to hope to see the Northern Lights.
Am I right?🤔
Sounds good to me NN
..abd lovely to have the freedom of the countryside.
Ooh I was just planning to go back and find out what I'd missed....a love Grammaretto? Well for now a move is very exciting but as you say 'You never know'.
I don't remember seeing a cruise mentioned either Doodle....where are you cruising to/from? We are going on our honeymoon ( much delayed by hip op) cruise to the Caribbean in Feb and for the first time in my life I have planned ahead a bit and have a bag in the guest suite ( spare room really) and I have been popping bits in there....including a fabulous evening dress in midnight blue that I got from Vinted ( I sort of wish my friend who visits often hadn't told me about Vinted but hey ho).
We managed to move pitch without any disasters and are now the only motorhome in the field and glorious views to the hills which is just lovely.
DH is in his element...he really loves this kind of thing... There was definitely a moment yesterday when we were manhandling a huge awning to the new pitch when I doubted the wisdom of a 71 year old with a dodgy hip and back partaking in such outdoor activities but I gave Mrs Oh my goodness what am I doing....a firm kick up the rear and got on with it....I rewarded myself with tea and 10 mins on Vinted....anyone for a pair of sparkly converse trainers?????
A typo for move Ixion? 😅😂
But you never know.,.....
I hope cruise. isn't a typo Doodle do tell .
I do realise that I have been 'out of the loop' recently but things I have missed-
A cruise Doodle? Tell us more!
And Grammaretto. Who's this you're expecting or is it 🤐 ?
🤭
Evening all. I’m struggling to stay awake, been sorting clothes for up and coming cruise. You’d think I was going for a month rather than a week.
That’s brave to move to a house you’ve not seen.
NN your time in wales sounds so calming I’m sure it’s doing you good.
Any day yet for your love Grammaretto?
Good Morning Lobstars...I have finally removed my head from where it has been firmly stuck up my a..e. and apologise for being so inward looking.
Thank you for all your lovely words after my outpouring of emotions. I'm still struggling at times but we are in
Maevemouse back in Wales and walking on the beach is working it's magic healing as always. Now back to far more important matters....
Grammaretto I do feel your pain re packing up...I was on first name terms with the guys at the recycling centre... DH had already started his new position here and only back every 2 weeks and I used to try and pack 2 boxes a day. I was having to use a crutch at the time as my hip was heading towards it's first op and the only way I could bend was to stick my leg out behind me. Are you still at that...what have I done stage or is there that little tingle of excitement at the adventure to be had...I hope it's the latter. Have you managed to put plants you want to take into pots yet? When it all got a bit overwhelming I took myself off to Dunelm or John Lewis and looked at cushions and planned colour schemes. That did help...obviously the visits involved cake too!!! Mind you a trip to a palace wins hands down I would think...
Doodle... I'm so pleased you are in contact with Kaimoana... I'm so hoping she gets to move closer to her son and Gubbins. Please send her my love and Happy belated Birthday to the cake maker...I bet that was fun to watch. The new vicar sounds very promising...and clever too giving a sermon on welcoming when you have just arrived at somewhere new is going to firmly put any possible dissenters back in their box. !!!
Do you think the ennui we are all feeling is down to change in seasons/weather? I definitely need a rocket somewhere the sun doesn't shine in order to get myself motivated once the clocks go back...I really hate late Autumn and Winter. You are supposed to love the season you are born in but somebody forgot to push that button as I was being made...December baby and but for me it's Spring and Summer when I'm at my best.
On that note I need to get moving ( and dressed). We are transferring to a pitch on grass ( the wisdom of this after a weekend of rain remains to be seen). So far I have managed to not break anything or fall over a guy rope.... I'll report back ....Watch this space.
Love to you all. ❤️
I guess so NotSpaghetti and our experience was similar when we moved to Edinburgh from Kent in 1975.
My job was to scour the property pages of the Thursday Scotsman sent to us and DH,
who had grown up in Edinburgh, would narrow the search, until we found one which was in the same street as his grandmother. We asked her to view it with his aunt. They approved so we put in an offer and it was ours.
On seeing it for the first time we were both rather shocked but we were happy there for 5 years until we found this one.....
We had only had one weekend here to house hunt and hadn't bid enough on a house we had really liked .
Just remembered that we met a couple in Italy who bought unseen. They packed up their life in Scotland and moved there.
They saw their house for the first time on removal day.
It's mad that I'm spending the largest amount ever on something I've really only glanced at!
My daughter who was living in London kept missing out on rentals in our town by coming to look. They were taken before she got to see them.
She then decided to buy.
She sent her sister to look at one and bought it unseen.
She's been really happy there. 🤞 you will be too!
Thank you Grammaretto he and his mum made us laugh tonight in their efforts to make his birthday cake. In the end it all turned out well.
New vicar was very good. Nice sermon about being welcoming and kind. Family are nice too.
Happy birthday to your DGS Doodle.
I am ready to part with most of my books but noone seems to want them 😟
I had a chap round today who was just back from a big fair in York. He found some things he liked but hardly any books!
It's really depressing.
How was your new vicar's service?
ixion you are right about the house buying system. It's mad that I'm spending the largest amount ever on something I've really only glanced at!
Grammaretto Nice your new home will be somewhere you’re familiar with and close to all the amenities you’re used to.
Do you find it difficult parting with your books?
Ooh recital and talk at a Palace. That sounds a bit special. How nice.
I think all the fresh air yesterday has made me sleepy. I’m sitting here yawning my head off so I’m going to bed.
Our new vicars first service tomorrow. I’m looking forward to it. Our grandsons birthday too so I’ll pop over and see him later, sleep well all xx
You can't go wrong with a boat trip Doodle.
I've run out of oomph again. I'm using my early lunch as an excuse to sit down and scrolls reels and stuff. But the lawn mower battery recharge light has now turned green and my yesterday's ironing has now joined last weeks pile so I must make an effort.
That's what retirement does to you, I think. Coupled with Old Age.
The spirit of mañana which you dream of can just take over unless one is Very Strict. It's a delicate balance between NS's can't be bothered and the body just not being up to it.
Grammaretto, you have sooooo much going on for you at the mo and strict deadlines to meet, irrespective of the sadness you must feel at leaving. You have my admiration🌷
How lovely a fellow Gransnetter could share your progress.
It always amazes me that, despite making the biggest purchase of one's life, there are only one or two legitimate opportunities to have a closer - informed- look about what one is buying🤷♀️. A second viewing, presumably, to confirm suitability before commitment, but how on earth are you supposed to potter round planning where stuff goes, what you need to buy (or get rid of), measuring up for curtains etc, before the day you move in?
How is Mr.J, Jan? I hope his treatment is progressing well.
And NN, still thinking of you🌺
Relax is my default so I am good at that.
I have just been invited to a recital and talk at Dalkeith Palace next weekend so plenty to look forward to.
Oh Grammaretto.
I do hope you are finding a little time to relax too!
In my case NotSpaghetti I think it's called mania due to impending house move. Hopefully I will recover 🤪
I am amazed by everyone's activity levels.
I'm afraid some days I just can't be bothered - yesterday I received an enormous parcel of archival tissue paper (to protect my work) - very exciting - and by the time I'd manhandled it inside and unwrapped it I ran out of enthusiasm for using it!
Admittedly the boiler person arrived and then I did some washing but still!...
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.