Gransnet forums

Chat

When should parents start worrying about phone secrecy?

(10 Posts)
bucksloan Thu 17-Sept-26 12:35:06

My child has recently become very private with their phone. They quickly close apps when I walk past and don’t like talking about who they’re chatting with. I don’t want to invade their privacy, but I also don’t want to ignore something that could be a problem.

How do other parents handle this? Would you ever use a parental app for reassurance, or do you think it’s better to give them complete privacy?

Sago Thu 17-Sept-26 13:12:09

Why do I feel a link coming on?

Daddima Thu 17-Sept-26 13:31:39

I wouldn’t use an app for reassurance, as I feel my children will use their phones wisely.

They are all late forties/ early fifties right enough.

Cossy Thu 17-Sept-26 13:32:42

Daddima

I wouldn’t use an app for reassurance, as I feel my children will use their phones wisely.

They are all late forties/ early fifties right enough.

😂🤣😂🤣😂

Blossoming Thu 17-Sept-26 13:34:54

If they are under 18 I’d confiscate their phones.

Gummie Thu 17-Sept-26 15:31:48

how old is the child?

petra Thu 17-Sept-26 15:43:23

Sago

Why do I feel a link coming on?

Because they think we’re stupid and don’t know we’ve been round tge block a few times.
I will give it some thought, though.
Should I be concerned that my child is secretive with their phone. 🤬

62Granny Thu 17-Sept-26 15:54:36

I doubt this is the correct platform for your query probably Mumsnet would be more helpful, but a lot of providers are advertising parental control information worth looking on your telephone providers website.

Gwyllt Thu 17-Sept-26 16:05:41

Might I suggest the more you snoop the more secretive they will become

JenniRen Thu 17-Sept-26 16:44:52

Cossy

Daddima

I wouldn’t use an app for reassurance, as I feel my children will use their phones wisely.

They are all late forties/ early fifties right enough.

😂🤣😂🤣😂

I might confiscate DD's!

Trouble is, she needs it for work sometimes.