Gransnet forums

Chat

Insomnia after illness

(19 Posts)
SpinDriftCoastal Mon 24-Aug-26 20:20:59

This summer I was diagnosed with breast cancer, had a mastectomy and am awaiting my treatment plan. My major problem is getting sleep. I can sleep for two hours from going to bed, but then wake up and cannot get back to sleep. This is hindering my recovery and left me trying to catch up with an hour here and there. I can wake anything up to five times a night as I have to sleep on a wedge pillow because of op. Any suggestions much appreciated? Thank you.

MarieElla Mon 24-Aug-26 20:28:00

A small dose of mirtazapine [7mg] might help reset your sleep.
Hope you're recovering well otherwise.

kittylester Mon 24-Aug-26 20:30:04

I'm sorry to hear you diagnosis and hope your treatment goes well.

My advice would be not to stress when you wake up. Can you play Sleep Sounds on an Alexa and read for a while?

Cressy Mon 24-Aug-26 21:44:41

Whenever I wake up in the night I do a bit of cognitive shuffling. I think of a three or four letter word and starting with the first letter I think of as many words beginning with it. When I run out of ideas I go on to the second letter and then the third and so on. I very rarely get to the end of the word but if I do I just pick another one. It’s a distraction from allowing your brain to wander.

butterandjam Mon 24-Aug-26 22:10:43

Zopiclone. Ask your GP for a small prescription and don't use it every night. DH used one tab at bedtime a couple of times a week during his cancer treatment; full night sleep guaranteed, without addiction or day time fog.

It's really important just now to get some good sleep, eat a little healthy diet even if you have no appetite, get out in some fresh air every day even if you have no energy. A ten minute walk benefits the whole body and mind.

For nights when sleep won't come, have a comfort strategy. Get up and make a cup of tea, listen to an audio book, read a short story or favourite poet. See if there's any night owls awake on GN. Write a journal.Rub some lavender hand lotion into your hands.

Recovering from cancer is a long journey of many small steps .

SpinDriftCoastal Tue 25-Aug-26 09:33:17

Thank you all very, very much for your suggestions. I can see this is going to be a long journey in small steps.

Madwoman11 Tue 25-Aug-26 14:57:14

I've had breast cancer myself although I had two lumpectomys not a mastectomy, and extensive other cancer treatments, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, herceptin infusions for a year etc etc
Do you have a Cancer Support unit centre close buy that can help, some have drop in coffee mornings so you can speak to others in similar circumstances and also provide councilling.
Speak to your cancer team and your GP
Feel free to pm me if you want an understanding ear x flowers

Olderthanidlike Tue 25-Aug-26 16:16:13

Magnesium is great for helping me get relaxed enough to get to sleep.

Milliedog Tue 25-Aug-26 16:25:47

Magnesium glycinate an hour before bed time

WithNobsOnIt Tue 25-Aug-26 17:06:54

Consult your Doctor first of course
But have you tried CBD oil and gummies?

They can help relax you to sleep.
Not cheap but Holland and Barrett sell a good brand by Canaray which are often on offer.

Getting a good sleep wil really help you in you recovery .

Best Wishes
xxx

Cath9 Tue 25-Aug-26 19:04:04

I don’t know what age you are . I am an oldie so often find it difficult to keep awake.
Put yourself in a time of place where or when you enjoyed.
If I do lie awake for a while I put myself back in the years when my sons were toddlers with no words to mum!
Or on the beach loot out to a warm sea.

LemonJam Tue 25-Aug-26 19:20:37

I have had a same issue for well over 12 months- each time I turned in bed, pain woke me up and then it took ages to get back to sleep and if/when I did, the same thing would keep repeating. It's exhausting so I sympathise!

As you have a cancer diagnosis your Macmillan Nurse ( hopefully you have one?) is an excellent source of support for symptom control.

A couple of weeks ago I had a consultation with my GP to discuss this very issue and he prescribed Gabapentin, just one capsule at night, for neuropathic pain. My it has made such a difference and I'm sleeping much better.

Good luck with your treatment plan and I hope you find something that helps you soon 💐💐

monami Wed 26-Aug-26 07:56:57

And where do you buy it ?

dragonfly46 Wed 26-Aug-26 08:05:08

I too have had breast cancer and I had the same problems sleeping.
I hope when you get your treatment plan you will feel better and you will sleep better.

When I can’t sleep I imagine myself going on a plane to some exotic place. I am often asleep before I get there. Or I imagine I am walking in beautiful mountains.

I hope things settle down for you. You will come out the other side and everything will feel better.

Aveline Wed 26-Aug-26 09:03:55

When I wake in the night and can't get off to sleep again I do breathing exercises. Top tip: exhale longer than the inhale. eg breathe in for 5 then out for 8.

madeleine45 Wed 26-Aug-26 09:39:02

I had ovarian cancer, which meant an operation and 6 months chemo, so the chemo meant that your reactions changed with the weeks, and it was very hard to get sorted. Then I had bladder cancer, so another problem, but actually my worst thing is my back pain. I do take pain killers to try and get off to sleep, but then wake up from pain about 2 or 3 in the morning etc. So here is a lists of possibilities that I have tried, and found helpful at various times.

1. Especially at the moment, I look and listen to no news after 6pm. When the news is to say the least gloomy, distressing and worrying, it makes things so much worse if you wake up at 2 am and all the worries crowd in on you

2. Get your bedroom set up to help you. By that I mean, accepting that you may wake up is not defeatist. More sensible. So have a reading light at the most comfortable angle and in the right place, so that you can read easily , without frowning or sitting awkwardly. Have a little bottle of lavendar or rose essential oil.A lovely thing to put on a little, shut your eyes and enjoy the perfume.

3. By the bed on a table you can easily reach, have a book you are reading , complete with bookmark. Nothing too exciting, but maybe something with some humour in, or I always have a poetry book there too. Have a small notebook with at least two working pens too. So if you wake and find yourself thinking of something worrying or annoying, or something you had forgotten to do yesterday, write it down. So that you gradually learn the way to take those thoughts from your mind, and then in the following day you can look again at the problem, where you either know what to do to sort it, or realize that you were worrying unnecessarily.

4. I keep a bottle of sparkling water on the table too, so that if I wake up coughing or thirsty I can take a sip , without getting out of bed or really waking up. Then you might be lucky and fall asleep again.

5. Do you remember that song "dem bones dem bones..... the thigh bones connected to the hip bone " etc. Well you can try and do a sort of yoga exercise. If you find a comfortable position, you dont need the light on, and then concentrate starting from your toes - feet = legs etc. Dont try and order your breathing, but become aware of your breath and then link it to your body. So on each breath you try and relax your body . So breath in , think of feet relaxing , breath out and breath stress away. Next breath in, think of ankle, breath out . You then try to carry on doing this all the way up your body. Having to think about the next bit stops you worrying about the fact that you are awake.

6. Silently , or quietly, count backwards in 3's from 1000. You have to concentrate to count in 3's being an odd number and it changes as you go. So you really need to concentrate, and my rule is , that if your mind drifts off to what the doctor said, or what the gas bill is going to be this winter, then you have to go back to 1000 and start again. You cant cheat yourself!

7, If despite your trying some or all of these ideas you are really wide awake get up. Dont stay in bed getting anxious or uptight about the fact that you are not sleeping. So once I get up , my choice is to either sit up and read for an hour, or until I feel sleepy and can go back to bed, The other day I woke up 4am, and it was soon obvious that there was no way I would get back to sleep. I live in a flat , so cant make a lot of noise. I put the ironing board up, sorted the ironing out from hot to cool, and sat in my dressing gown doing that. cooler to do the job, and at least if I wasnt getting any more sleep, I end up with more choice of clean and ironed clothes, and can go on to something nicer later on

8. If you swim, or walk , or garden when you are able to, to even just walk helps to take away that stress. We all add to the stress by worrying about the fact we are not sleeping , and every time we look at the clock it gets worse. So if you dont need to have an alarm call for a specific thing, turn the clock round the other way,and dont look at your watch, as it only winds you up worrying!!

No doubt I will remember other bits in time, but of course what we have now - that wasnt available 20 years ago . we have gransnet!! So dont worry, there will be someone else up and around at whatever time you look. Have a problem? Someone on here with have been in that position, or have good ideas to help. You can look at other posts and be able to offer your experience to help others. There are many many different items you can follow up.

Lastly on a bad night I swear ! No , it is ok, not what you think! I mutter "Trump, Trump Farage, Farage etc. and hope that THEY are being kept (bigly!) awake by remembering the many lies and stupid things they have said and done Mmm no doubt the talented members of GN could make us a Trump or Farage doll and I could add sticking pins into them too.

Lastly remember that things can improve, and wont necessarily get worse, so keep breathing and annoy politicians of all colours by as dear Dolly Parton would say "staying alive" "staying alive " Take care and let me know if anything helps or if you have any other ideas of your own.

elasticatedslacks Fri 28-Aug-26 20:43:05

Wasn't it the Bee Gees who sung Staying Alive?

SpinDriftCoastal Sat 29-Aug-26 09:37:05

madeleine45

I had ovarian cancer, which meant an operation and 6 months chemo, so the chemo meant that your reactions changed with the weeks, and it was very hard to get sorted. Then I had bladder cancer, so another problem, but actually my worst thing is my back pain. I do take pain killers to try and get off to sleep, but then wake up from pain about 2 or 3 in the morning etc. So here is a lists of possibilities that I have tried, and found helpful at various times.

1. Especially at the moment, I look and listen to no news after 6pm. When the news is to say the least gloomy, distressing and worrying, it makes things so much worse if you wake up at 2 am and all the worries crowd in on you

2. Get your bedroom set up to help you. By that I mean, accepting that you may wake up is not defeatist. More sensible. So have a reading light at the most comfortable angle and in the right place, so that you can read easily , without frowning or sitting awkwardly. Have a little bottle of lavendar or rose essential oil.A lovely thing to put on a little, shut your eyes and enjoy the perfume.

3. By the bed on a table you can easily reach, have a book you are reading , complete with bookmark. Nothing too exciting, but maybe something with some humour in, or I always have a poetry book there too. Have a small notebook with at least two working pens too. So if you wake and find yourself thinking of something worrying or annoying, or something you had forgotten to do yesterday, write it down. So that you gradually learn the way to take those thoughts from your mind, and then in the following day you can look again at the problem, where you either know what to do to sort it, or realize that you were worrying unnecessarily.

4. I keep a bottle of sparkling water on the table too, so that if I wake up coughing or thirsty I can take a sip , without getting out of bed or really waking up. Then you might be lucky and fall asleep again.

5. Do you remember that song "dem bones dem bones..... the thigh bones connected to the hip bone " etc. Well you can try and do a sort of yoga exercise. If you find a comfortable position, you dont need the light on, and then concentrate starting from your toes - feet = legs etc. Dont try and order your breathing, but become aware of your breath and then link it to your body. So on each breath you try and relax your body . So breath in , think of feet relaxing , breath out and breath stress away. Next breath in, think of ankle, breath out . You then try to carry on doing this all the way up your body. Having to think about the next bit stops you worrying about the fact that you are awake.

6. Silently , or quietly, count backwards in 3's from 1000. You have to concentrate to count in 3's being an odd number and it changes as you go. So you really need to concentrate, and my rule is , that if your mind drifts off to what the doctor said, or what the gas bill is going to be this winter, then you have to go back to 1000 and start again. You cant cheat yourself!

7, If despite your trying some or all of these ideas you are really wide awake get up. Dont stay in bed getting anxious or uptight about the fact that you are not sleeping. So once I get up , my choice is to either sit up and read for an hour, or until I feel sleepy and can go back to bed, The other day I woke up 4am, and it was soon obvious that there was no way I would get back to sleep. I live in a flat , so cant make a lot of noise. I put the ironing board up, sorted the ironing out from hot to cool, and sat in my dressing gown doing that. cooler to do the job, and at least if I wasnt getting any more sleep, I end up with more choice of clean and ironed clothes, and can go on to something nicer later on

8. If you swim, or walk , or garden when you are able to, to even just walk helps to take away that stress. We all add to the stress by worrying about the fact we are not sleeping , and every time we look at the clock it gets worse. So if you dont need to have an alarm call for a specific thing, turn the clock round the other way,and dont look at your watch, as it only winds you up worrying!!

No doubt I will remember other bits in time, but of course what we have now - that wasnt available 20 years ago . we have gransnet!! So dont worry, there will be someone else up and around at whatever time you look. Have a problem? Someone on here with have been in that position, or have good ideas to help. You can look at other posts and be able to offer your experience to help others. There are many many different items you can follow up.

Lastly on a bad night I swear ! No , it is ok, not what you think! I mutter "Trump, Trump Farage, Farage etc. and hope that THEY are being kept (bigly!) awake by remembering the many lies and stupid things they have said and done Mmm no doubt the talented members of GN could make us a Trump or Farage doll and I could add sticking pins into them too.

Lastly remember that things can improve, and wont necessarily get worse, so keep breathing and annoy politicians of all colours by as dear Dolly Parton would say "staying alive" "staying alive " Take care and let me know if anything helps or if you have any other ideas of your own.

Madeleine 45 - Thank you so much for taking the time to write your very kind reply. I will keep your reply in separate notes as they are tried and tested ways. My GP has put me on a sleeping pill called Quiviviq which is doing just the right job at the moment. He reviews me in 2 weeks. I have had three nights of good sleep which has helped tremendously. I will keep your notes for when the pills stop. In the meantime, I wish you all the very best in your recovery and dare I say 'Sweet Dreams'. Thank you again.

SpinDriftCoastal Sat 29-Aug-26 09:39:34

dragonfly46

I too have had breast cancer and I had the same problems sleeping.
I hope when you get your treatment plan you will feel better and you will sleep better.

When I can’t sleep I imagine myself going on a plane to some exotic place. I am often asleep before I get there. Or I imagine I am walking in beautiful mountains.

I hope things settle down for you. You will come out the other side and everything will feel better.

Dragonfly 46. Thank you for your very kind reply. My GP has put me on Quiviviq which means I have had three good nights' sleep and am at least eating and sleeping again properly. I am taking it a day at a time. I wish you all the very best on your journey too.