Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday 21st August 2026

(60 Posts)
Michael12 Fri 21-Aug-26 05:00:05

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but its dry outside here in Brackley this morning.
Up to my usual routine with a bus trip into Bicester , do a shop and hopefully chat to those I know.
My health's OK .
Take Care,
Mick

Grandmabatty Fri 21-Aug-26 15:34:11

I know it was latedecember who suggested the help of the saint. I didnt mean to imply it was Marydoll. The smiley face was for Marydoll's previous comment. Apologies for any misunderstanding

Marydoll Fri 21-Aug-26 14:59:40

hollysteers

Grandmabatty

😂 Marydoll thank goodness for St Anthony.

It was latedecember1963 who came up with St.Anthony.

We have a Saint Anthony statue in church. The donation box is always full.
We have a lot of absent minded parishionets.😉

hollysteers Fri 21-Aug-26 14:42:20

Grandmabatty

😂 Marydoll thank goodness for St Anthony.

It was latedecember1963 who came up with St.Anthony.

Grandmabatty Fri 21-Aug-26 13:05:15

😂 Marydoll thank goodness for St Anthony.

NannyJan53 Fri 21-Aug-26 12:31:47

Good afternoon from a sunny but much cooler Black Country.

Stayed overnight in Birmingham after the theatre, and arrived home around 11.30am.

Excellent production of High Society, where I surprisingly knew all the songs!

DGD2 went out for the day on the train to the Welsh coast with 6 of her friends for her 18th birthday. They had a lovely time.

Not much planned for today, maybe a bit of housework.

Wishing you all a lovely afternoon.

Marydoll Fri 21-Aug-26 12:16:42

Melanie, thank you. ❤️
I have just bought my self some Roses.
Sitting my car, having a rest, after getting
lots of bargains in Sainsbury's. All that excitement is not good for my heart.

Marydoll Fri 21-Aug-26 12:12:48

Grandmabatty

Ds found his keys!!!!!
I really thought I was losing my marbles

No, just the keys! 😉

luluaugust Fri 21-Aug-26 12:10:36

*Madeleine^ I hope by now you have managed to get some of the problems sorted out

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 21-Aug-26 11:59:29

A very late morning all from West Oxfordshire,

I didn’t wake up until 8.30 am and then had quite a bit to do!

Have a good day.

Aldom Fri 21-Aug-26 11:23:56

I'm in Marks and Spencer having a coffee and just seen that Battys son's keys have been found. 😁

aggie Fri 21-Aug-26 10:16:56

Good morning from a bright chilly Co Armagh,
We are replacing the greenhouse , not great timing as the plants are in full fruiting mode .we are taking everything out and stashing the plants in a bit of shelter at the back doors in a porch between out two houses
The base has to be laid ….etc etc so it could be some time before the new one is up , not options it seems
Any way I’ve pruned and tidied up most of the tomatoes , tied to extra supports as far as I could
Hair cut today , Daughter and I go together and I hear some of the local gossip !
Hoping for a day of peace and calm for everyone 💐

Puss Fri 21-Aug-26 10:09:34

Good morning from Belfast where it is definitely an autumn feeling.
Yesterday went to nearest town got vegetables and of course a coffee with a Portuguese tart!!!
Last night we went out for a curry it's 2years since we have been to this restaurant it was deserted we were the only ones there.
To day I am continuing collecting seeds from my cosmos and nasturtiums etc
Have to move my lillies to somewhere sheltered.
DH is away to another funeral this morning.
Best wishes to all those who have got their exam results.

Melanie61 Fri 21-Aug-26 10:01:29

Good morning from Sheffield
I actually woke up cold in the night and had to go hunting for a blanket . I dropped off after I got a bit warmer .
It’s nice this morning, it’s a lot fresher here. I do love that little nip of autumn.
Marydoll and Madeleine , you both have to deal with so much. I am full of admiration for your determination. Please accept a virtual bouquet of flowers to you bothflowers

Take care everyone x

Grandmabatty Fri 21-Aug-26 09:54:03

Ds found his keys!!!!!
I really thought I was losing my marbles

Greyjoy1953 Fri 21-Aug-26 09:49:03

Good morning all from Essex. I read your writings everyday, some days happily, some days tearfully when you are having a tough time but always come away feeling uplifted. Today I would like to thank Madeline for her inspiring, thoughtful and very great understanding of the students getting their results and how they should deal with their outcomes. You are a most inspiring person. You push on when your body is giving you a hard time but you still think of others. I hope you get sorted at the doctors and your day becomes a bit more pain free. Take care all.

Harris27 Fri 21-Aug-26 09:48:57

Good morning all. Lovely day yesterday as gd passed GCSEs and was pleased with her results. It’s lovely to see them grow and achieve. Hubby going to hospital for half year check after skin cancer. Hopefully all good. I’m feeling the cold for the first time and wondering if I’m coming down with a cold. 🫣weekend approaching and meeting sons new girlfriend looking forward to that. Nights starting to cut in.

harrigran Fri 21-Aug-26 09:31:04

Good morning from a sunny NE where it is 12° with a forecast of 15°.
GD passed all nine subjects at GCSE and her conditional place at a new school has been verified.
The school demands a minimum of grade 7 for entry to 6th form and GD got 9 for art and music.
Sadly her friends will not be joining her but have secured places elsewhere.
It has been a difficult two months for these girls as they were pupils at a school closed by GGE without warning.
Yesterday my sister visited but she really is really not well she is suffering with neuropathy.
Will do some washing and ironing today, taking advantage of the cooler weather.
Have a good day.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-Aug-26 09:21:11

I forgot I had arranged to take the 11yr old to a dress maker friend of mine to have his school trousers altered.

Madeleine45 I hope you can get a GP appointment, you really are having a rough time at the moment 🌺

I am procrastinating scrolling GN, one single item has made it into a suitcase…

BlueSapphire Fri 21-Aug-26 09:05:40

Good morning everyone from a bright and sunny 🌞 Northampton; we were promised heavy thundery showers all afternoon yesterday, but instead got one brief shower lasting minutes, no good to man nor dog.

DGD2's GCSE results were excellent yesterday, another family superstar, this girl set to do arts subjects in sixth form. Commiserations to those who were disappointed, but it is never the end if the line, just a re-think.

Dance classes this morning followed by a restful afternoon, reading more of The Odyssey - I am surprised at how easy the translation I have is to read.

Must get the large curry I made yesterday into the freezer; one portion is set aside for today, and there are 5 for the freezer!

Wishing all a pleasant day.

Susan56 Fri 21-Aug-26 08:56:00

I’m sorry you had such a rubbish day yesterday madeleine.I hope today is better and that the dr is happy to give you medication to have at home🙏🏻💐

Georgesgran Fri 21-Aug-26 08:51:09

Good morning from Durham. A high of 16c, so staying cool here.

Met my poorly friend yesterday - so unwell and I felt helpless - she won’t accept help from any source.

My car hunt is on hold, as 2 advisory lights appeared on my dashboard while taking Little Dog home last night. Must pop along to the garage to book it in.

I should take myself off somewhere today, but I hate aimless wandering or just ‘going for a drive’ which seems pointless to me. I need a purpose.
I shall wander to the kitchen and make a second cup of tea, that’s not pointless.

Best wishes to all. X

Grandmabatty Fri 21-Aug-26 08:50:53

Madeleine what a horrible day for you! I hope you get an emergency doctor's appointment.
Still no sign of those keys. St Anthony is being involved. All bags, jackets and coats have been checked.
Gransnet keeps bumping me out this morning which is very irritating

Gagagran Fri 21-Aug-26 08:46:54

Good Morning all from a sunny central south coast. It feels fresher and I had to close my bedroom window in the night as I felt really chilly in bed. Much more to my taste than the recent heatwaves!

Our Tesco delivery is due between 9am and 10am and with only one substitution and no missing items today.
Yesterday I cooked up the large amount of tomatoes our kind neighbours gave us. I made a thick sauce with onions, garlic, herbs and skinned tomatoes. The kitchen smelt like an Italian Restaurant and the result was delicious. I have a a good amount in the freezer and a bowlful in the fridge to use today.

Nothing much planned today after a busy week so I shall enjoy the peace and quiet.

Best wishes to all with struggles or worries of any kind and hope for some relief today.

hollysteers Fri 21-Aug-26 08:43:28

Good morning from Sunnyside Sandhills northwest coast.
Lunch with old friend yesterday. He doesn’t drive now, so I picked him up in the rain and out to his favourite restaurant.
We both had duck, delicious and tender, but tough braised cabbage.

It’s a nice restaurant and carpeted, unusual these days as so many have wooden floors. It means the chatter is muted and we can hear each other.
A sound I couldn’t pin down has gone off this morning. I thought it was a house alarm although it seemed too quiet for that, and as I’m on cat duty next door and the neighbours are away, I was afeared it might be something to do with them.

Such vivid dreams last night and haunted by friends and family who have departed, rather discombobulating.

Into the city tonight by train for a meal and drinks with two girlfriends from the opera company. I’ve booked it and not sure what to put on. I was hoping to have (fake) tanned bare legs, but I think it’s too chilly for that…

Thoughts to all🌺

Ziplok Fri 21-Aug-26 08:34:00

Good morning all,

It’s a lovely sunny morning for now and cooler than of late.
We had a lot of rain yesterday, some of it quite heavy - I got caught in one downpour coming out of the supermarket. However, the gardens are really benefiting and the grass is showing more green than it had. It’s not fully recovered, but is looking a lot better.

Not a lot on today other than collect a prescription and tidy round the house.

To all feeling unwell or recovering, I wish you a better day today.

Take care everyone.