Gransnet forums

Chat

I need to batch cook.......

(53 Posts)
kittylester Thu 20-Aug-26 08:44:01

As I can't get all my tupperware in the cupboard. I'm sorry now for all the times that I have panic bought more.

It's a good job the weather has changed.

greyfur16 Sun 23-Aug-26 15:03:41

I find the best containers are the rectanglar ones from a takeaway. Others the lids seem to go frilly somehow!

Now what to put in them?

Nannan2 Sun 23-Aug-26 15:00:00

I might try that gransruleok- as i never remember to take it to supermarket for fruit....😆

Nannan2 Sun 23-Aug-26 14:58:34

Yes all the lids go missing.....

gransruleok Sun 23-Aug-26 13:48:14

I use the net bags you get in the fruit & veg isle in the supermarkets, 30p each, but a godsend to keep different types of tubs and lids together. It works well for me.

JenniRen Thu 20-Aug-26 20:20:50

kittylester

I try to buy those from Lakeland (I think) that have matching coloured tops and bottoms but sometimes need more fast.

Please don't throw anything away Maw. I threw away a large lid as I couldn't find a corresponding bottom only realise that it the box which housed all the lids.

😂
(Sorry but that's the kind of thing I'd do.)

I have a set of plastic boxes with hinged lids. They are very good, trouble is I can't remember where I bought them.

NotSpaghetti Thu 20-Aug-26 16:00:16

Permanent markers do eventually wash off in the dishwasher - or at least wash off enough to make 9 and 6 look similar and 1 and 7 and also 2 and 5

mumski Thu 20-Aug-26 15:57:04

Dontcallmelove

mumski

My children tease me as I have my Tupperware 'system'. I use a sharpie pen and number the lid and base so I can match them together without too much faffing. However, they forget the teasing when they want to find and borrow tupperware from me! smile
Good luck with the batch cooking Kitty.

I do this but end up having to constantly mark them up again. Have you found a pen that doesn’t wash off after it’s been in the freezer?

Dontcallmelove I do have to renew the numbers after a while as they tend to fade in the dishwasher.
It's made me think, I'm sure I've got some permanent markers somewhere. Perhaps I should give them a go.

ViceVersa Thu 20-Aug-26 14:29:43

kittylester

I try to buy those from Lakeland (I think) that have matching coloured tops and bottoms but sometimes need more fast.

Please don't throw anything away Maw. I threw away a large lid as I couldn't find a corresponding bottom only realise that it the box which housed all the lids.

My husband - who does love a clear-out - did exactly that a few months ago! Chucked out various boxes with no matching lids, including the one which housed the lids! My problem tends to be that I often give boxes of food to our (grown-up) children - then they never seem to bring the boxes back. Have recently replenished the stocks, so let's see how long these ones last.

kittylester Thu 20-Aug-26 14:26:15

I try to buy those from Lakeland (I think) that have matching coloured tops and bottoms but sometimes need more fast.

Please don't throw anything away Maw. I threw away a large lid as I couldn't find a corresponding bottom only realise that it the box which housed all the lids.

MawsRosie Thu 20-Aug-26 14:04:45

mumski

My children tease me as I have my Tupperware 'system'. I use a sharpie pen and number the lid and base so I can match them together without too much faffing. However, they forget the teasing when they want to find and borrow tupperware from me! smile
Good luck with the batch cooking Kitty.

What a good idea!
I threaten every so often to chuck any and all ODD boxes and lids that have no partners, then I chicken out.

Dontcallmelove Thu 20-Aug-26 13:57:26

mumski

My children tease me as I have my Tupperware 'system'. I use a sharpie pen and number the lid and base so I can match them together without too much faffing. However, they forget the teasing when they want to find and borrow tupperware from me! smile
Good luck with the batch cooking Kitty.

I do this but end up having to constantly mark them up again. Have you found a pen that doesn’t wash off after it’s been in the freezer?

Cossy Thu 20-Aug-26 13:42:07

GrannyGravy13

I think Tupperware lids are existing alongside odd socks and gloves in the place of lost things…

Well they certainly are in our house!

Loads of odd socks, one glove and so many boxes of different sizes, missing lids Grrrrrr

kittylester Thu 20-Aug-26 13:33:06

My freezer was full of home cooked food before the summer. All there is now is a pasta bake sauce for 2, a tomato curry and red cabbage.

Grandmadinosaur Thu 20-Aug-26 11:49:02

kittylester

As I can't get all my tupperware in the cupboard. I'm sorry now for all the times that I have panic bought more.

It's a good job the weather has changed.

I used to be the same but then I bought one of those huge plastic storage boxes to put them in. I keep it in the cupboard under the stairs.

This weather does make you want to batch cook. I’m going down the fruit pie and crumble route.

foxie48 Thu 20-Aug-26 11:31:30

We need to eat stuff from the freezer to make space for the tomatoes, soft fruit and cooked apples I need room for.

midgey Thu 20-Aug-26 11:12:41

Perhaps it’s in my airing cupboard….where I found my son’s sock. He hast stayed here for months!

NotSpaghetti Thu 20-Aug-26 11:07:27

mumski I did this about 18 months ago.
Now I have some "odd" 2s and 5s...
😱

henetha Thu 20-Aug-26 10:47:07

I need to batch cook but there isn't any room in my freezer at the moment.

JenniRen Thu 20-Aug-26 10:00:46

mumski, a brilliant idea!

JenniRen Thu 20-Aug-26 10:00:00

I've had to buy more to accommodate all the plums we've just picked.
There are lots of boxes, lots of lids but somehow they don't quite match up. What happens to them in the cupboard is a mystery.

mumski Thu 20-Aug-26 09:26:13

My children tease me as I have my Tupperware 'system'. I use a sharpie pen and number the lid and base so I can match them together without too much faffing. However, they forget the teasing when they want to find and borrow tupperware from me! smile
Good luck with the batch cooking Kitty.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Aug-26 09:19:22

I think Tupperware lids are existing alongside odd socks and gloves in the place of lost things…

Witzend Thu 20-Aug-26 09:07:50

Grandmabatty

But do you have enough lids which fit? That is a perennial problem for me

Yes, what happens to them? It’s not long since I sorted mine out - I don’t even have that many - and there are random ‘spares’ yet again!

kittylester Thu 20-Aug-26 09:01:53

Who knows, Grandmabatty. Panicking now!! grin

Grandmabatty Thu 20-Aug-26 08:53:35

But do you have enough lids which fit? That is a perennial problem for me