Gransnet forums

Chat

Cheese is back on the menu!

(22 Posts)
Sago Tue 18-Aug-26 17:57:54

About 3 years ago I developed an intolerance to cheese, I stopped eating it altogether then enjoyed a little occasionally but only after taking lactase tablets.

Then horror of horrors the lactase tablets stopped working,

Cheese is my favourite thing, I was salivating as friends cut into Epoisses, Camembert, Black Bomber etc and I nibbled on grapes.
I could only dream of beautiful French cheese and endured a holiday in France last year without it!

Last week I decided to risk a risotto with Parmesan, I was going to be home and therefore near a loo…….nothing.
I then had pizza again no reaction.

Yesterday I tried the thing that would have me previously bent double in agony and never more than 6 foot from a loo, delicious cheese on toast, full fat mature cheddar on sourdough with a dash of Lea and Perrins.

Nothing🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉.

I could not be more delighted.

We go away for 3 weeks next week, I won’t risk it on holiday just in case but at least I can look forward to eating cheese again when home.

I have no idea why my body played such a cruel trick on me.

Has anyone had anything similar?

Shelflife Tue 18-Aug-26 18:04:19

Wow!! That is amazing . Fortunately I dont have any food intolerance.
You must be delighted-cheese on toast what a treat. Long may this continue. Our bodies are very strange.

Whingey Tue 18-Aug-26 18:12:03

Allergies sometimes come and go.so happy for you 🤣

M0nica Tue 18-Aug-26 18:20:19

I cannot imagine life without cheese. I am very mildly lactose intolerant. I have never been able to drink milk, but in recent year I have noticed lactose intolerance creep I now cannot cope with single cream, yoghurt, cottage cheese, cream cheese, quark.

In my case, apart from milk or yoghourt, which make me sick, the others just leaves me feeling as if I have been kicked in the stomach for 24 hours

valdali Tue 18-Aug-26 20:10:32

I understand your delight Sago. Cheese is the one food would be bereft without.

It must taste even better after going without for a few years.

I wish my pollen allergy would go away - maybe next year.

agnurse Tue 18-Aug-26 20:12:38

The thing about cheese is that it actually has very little lactose in it. The bacteria that are used to make cheese consume most of it.

You may find that you can tolerate cheese in small amounts, or that certain cheeses are easier on your system than others.

Bukkie Tue 18-Aug-26 20:57:55

I am fortunate not to have any food intolerances but pleased you can enjoy your favourite food again. Bread is my favourite food and if I couldn't have it life would be unbearable. I have never smoked but presume my bread craving is like a nicotine craving for a smoker.

M0nica Wed 19-Aug-26 07:46:03

agnurse

The thing about cheese is that it actually has very little lactose in it. The bacteria that are used to make cheese consume most of it.

You may find that you can tolerate cheese in small amounts, or that certain cheeses are easier on your system than others.

Yes, this is why I have always been able to eat, and prefer, hard cheese, while fresh milk makes me sick.

This is why I am slightly worried by the intolerance 'creep' in recent years. I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis and while I have always loved brassicas and eat a lot of them cheese has always been my main source of calcium

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 19-Aug-26 08:23:52

I'm with Ben Gunn, marooned on Treasure Island, who dreamt of
" cheese... toasted mostly".

Grantanow Wed 19-Aug-26 09:34:17

Not for me. I need a low fat diet.

Grannybags Wed 19-Aug-26 09:55:05

That's good news Sago

I'd rather give up cake than cheese!!

Oreo Wed 19-Aug-26 11:49:42

Your allergy was really ‘hard cheese’ Sago forgive the pun.
Some allergies and intolerances really do come and go, I have had a few myself.
Cheese is wonderful!

TheWeirdoAgain60 Wed 19-Aug-26 13:06:09

That's brilliant news about the cheese! I definitely wouldn't recommend risking it on holiday, as you can guarantee your system will say ''I'm going to make this body suffer by holding it hostage on the loo!''

I love Cathedral City, Cheddar, and the softies like Philadelphia, Dairylea and Laughing Cow.

The one intolerance I have is any type of bread; I can't touch it. That's normal every day, sourdough, the type with pizzas and wraps. Also includes things like breaded fish fingers, etc. If it's bread or has some type of bread in it, my whole system explodes with bloating, sickness, and thumping headaches!

RobertaDanversWalker Wed 19-Aug-26 13:48:29

I couldn't understand why I could no longer tolerate cheese or mayo - instant dash to the loo, and it made me very cautious about going far from the home bathroom. No other symptoms, until one night - boom! Agony! So much pain for a day and night like I'd never known, and eventually went to Casualty and then admitted with a large gall stone. I had no idea! It took me over a year after the operation to cautiously even try cheese, and it was bliss with no after effects. I have switched to vegan mayo though, it's just as nice and I'm still very suspicious of the non-vegan variety!

missdeke Wed 19-Aug-26 15:03:51

Eggs, then I went to work in Turkey and suddenly I could eat them again, now I'm back in UK and I can't eat them again. I have tried locaal eggs from people's back gardens and they have been fine, so it seems if they don't come from large producers just backyard pets I'm fine.

4allweknow Wed 19-Aug-26 15:21:03

TheWeirdoAgain60
Have you tried Rye bread? I to don't eat bread but do use rye generally bought from M & S. Difficult to obtain other than the kind that has other flours in it.

Loladays Wed 19-Aug-26 16:13:19

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

CanadianGran Wed 19-Aug-26 20:55:06

There are some cheeses that have lower lactose levels, including parmesan. I would start slowly though, like you have, and perhaps test one at a time at home. My son and granddaughter are lactose intolerant, so I have to be a bit careful when cooking.

www.eatingwell.com/the-best-cheeses-to-eat-if-you-have-lactose-intolerance-11948440

glammagran Wed 19-Aug-26 22:47:06

Sago I would be devastated if I couldn’t eat cheese any longer. Epoisses and Black Bomber are fab cheeses. I’d rather not have any meat than give up cheese. I’m so pleased for you that you have given it a go.

In 2015 DH developed a fish allergy out of the blue. It’s not all fish, just some. I get murderous looks if I’m caught eating fish and chips.

Hatcham Thu 20-Aug-26 08:23:38

My DH is lactose intolerant, but finds he can manage small amounts of very hard cheese such as parmesan. He can use lactase tablets though he doesn't often bother.

luluaugust Thu 20-Aug-26 08:29:09

You can buy lactose free milk and basic cheddar cheese, which is what I do.

watermeadow Fri 21-Aug-26 17:47:38

I could happily live off bread and cheese but nowadays I can’t eat much bread without feeling bloated and uncomfortable. I read that modern bread contains much more gluten than it used to. I always eat wholemeal bread as white is worse.
The only problem with cheese is it’s so moreish and so fattening.