Gransnet forums

Chat

And the heavens opened.....

(52 Posts)
ferry23 Mon 17-Aug-26 17:11:20

.....here on the Kent coast. For about 20 minutes. It dried up so quickly. Blink and you wouldn't have even known. But it's considerably cooler here today.

A welcome relief.

BlueBelle Tue 18-Aug-26 14:18:54

No rain here although there may have been a dribble in the night but there’s nothing in my empty pots outside
Suppose to be a rainy day but no, nothing, it’s slightly
cooler today but only slightly, still muggy but not sunny.

Dowsabella Tue 18-Aug-26 15:55:44

Rain overnight here in Derby! We discovered it when a very wet cat came in through our bedroom window and proceeded to dry himself on our duvet! Not sure where our other two hid!! We are expecting more rain overnight - maybe - 🙏

appletree21 Tue 18-Aug-26 18:11:44

A bit cooler but not a drop of rain in Warwickshire unfortunately.

Casdon Tue 18-Aug-26 18:19:13

I’m praying for rain in mid Wales, because there are so many wildfires, we desperately need it to help put them out. Unfortunately the forecast says we won’t get much, but every drop would help our firefighters.

Jojo1950 Tue 18-Aug-26 19:30:33

👍👍

Alison333 Tue 18-Aug-26 21:01:05

10 mins of slight drizzle in the northern end of West Sussex, not happy! Fingers crossed for tonight

FranP Tue 18-Aug-26 22:11:00

Well, I spent 5 hours in A&E yesterday and did not water anything in my garden, so really grateful for just a little rain in the middle of the night, but ground was all dry this morning

JenniferEccles Tue 18-Aug-26 22:32:35

Nothing here so far but I’m optimistic for possibly tonight and into tomorrow morning.

I’m not too far from Wisley where officially it hasn’t rained for 60 odd days although I would have thought it’s been more than that.

I have read that if we don’t get a wet autumn, winter and spring here in the south east, we could be in trouble next year.

grannybuy Tue 18-Aug-26 23:26:18

Some heavy showers in NE Scotland today.

M0nica Wed 19-Aug-26 07:25:41

FranP

Well, I spent 5 hours in A&E yesterday and did not water anything in my garden, so really grateful for just a little rain in the middle of the night, but ground was all dry this morning

Hope you feel better now and A&E solved the problem.

Jaxjacky Wed 19-Aug-26 07:46:18

At last, we have rain in south Hampshire after 60 odd days, long may it last.

avitorl Wed 19-Aug-26 12:10:13

I woke up this morning to see that we have had rain and it does seem pleasantly cool too.

Georgesgran Wed 19-Aug-26 14:12:00

Just left a garden centre which has a Perspex roof - the torrential rain was so bad, we couldn’t hear each other speak! We’d also had a warning on the Next Door App.

Oreo Wed 19-Aug-26 14:23:01

Not a single drop of rain where I am, for months now.

Oreo Wed 19-Aug-26 14:23:50

Georgesgran

Just left a garden centre which has a Perspex roof - the torrential rain was so bad, we couldn’t hear each other speak! We’d also had a warning on the Next Door App.

envy

midgey Wed 19-Aug-26 14:36:01

One water butt full and the adjoining one now half full……I’m thoroughly overexcited!

avitorl Wed 19-Aug-26 16:28:49

The expression of bemusement on my cat's face when she looked out and saw wet pavement this morning was amusing. She thought about it for a couple of minutes and then decided to stay indoors and observe from a distance.

Fallingstar Wed 19-Aug-26 16:34:17

No rain as yet in London. If we did have any in the night /early hours there is no sign of it.

TerriBull Wed 19-Aug-26 17:54:12

We had rain this morning. My husband was quite happy playing golf in it, better than intense heat for sure! Not heavy rain though, more of a steady drizzle, the garden will need a lot more to green up. Now we have our usual evening sunshine. Welcome when it's not unbearable.

Mollygo Thu 20-Aug-26 08:13:04

Torrential rain at 05:30 and it’s still torrential now. I feel for the bin men!
Our dog stood by the door at 7 o’clock, but when I opened it, she took a few steps then turned back so I had to go out with her.

Mollygo Thu 20-Aug-26 10:15:12

Still torrential now here in the NW. Dog and I are soaked through and I’ve cleared the drain at the front, whilst standing in 3” of cold water!

henetha Thu 20-Aug-26 14:20:00

I went to the library and when I came out it was raining. Really raining, not just drizzle. Yippee! More please.

loopyloo Thu 20-Aug-26 14:26:50

No rain here. East London.
I'll never trust the BBC again

foxie48 Thu 20-Aug-26 14:29:29

Yeah, it is raining. Proper bounce off the roof type of rain. The garden looks like a desert but hopefully it's come in time to stop the dahlias dying.

foxie48 Thu 20-Aug-26 14:37:19

It's stopped!