Gransnet forums

Chat

Government Alert about Wildfires

(84 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 14-Aug-26 19:04:53

I've just had one, I nearly jumped out of my skin shock not a sound I usually associate with my phone.

Anyone else?

Pittcity Fri 14-Aug-26 20:14:55

Andy Burnham has said that the alert was sent at the request of the fire service. It was meant to give us a jolt into being careful with fire.

Jaxjacky Fri 14-Aug-26 20:15:35

Excellent, it got people’s attention, that’s the point.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-Aug-26 20:16:52

We were in a local restaurant all phones went off.

Which was strangely reassuring as the alert is the same sound if our burglar alarm is triggered.

Nandalot Fri 14-Aug-26 20:28:41

Here in Lincolnshire it went off, though strangely one phone proceeded the other by a second or two.
I know he probably didn’t have anything to do with the organisation of it, but I did think it was a bit reckless to have a fire pit at the Farage Fest. Not really need in this heat either!

Erica23 Fri 14-Aug-26 20:32:19

Thank goodness I had the volume on my phone low I was listening to music through my hearing aids it was so loud I dropped my phone. I’ve turned the alerts off now.

CV2020 Fri 14-Aug-26 20:35:07

Me too. Got a real fright. Then all the phones in the house went off too.

Dickens Fri 14-Aug-26 21:36:59

Multiple UK police forces and fire services have confirmed they are investigating a series of deliberate fires linked to viral TikTok challenges. While extreme summer heatwaves and dry conditions have turned large parts of England into a tinderbox, authorities have explicitly warned the public and farming communities about social media trends that encourage arson.

<<< sigh >>>

JenniRen Fri 14-Aug-26 21:46:11

If found out they should be sentenced to community service - fighting wildfires.

Harris27 Fri 14-Aug-26 21:51:33

Nearly jumped out of my skin my phone did it twice.

Galaxy Fri 14-Aug-26 22:10:03

I have asked this elsewhere but was there a warning that was going to happen? For women with secret phones ( domestic abuse) it can be quite dangerous.

harrigran Fri 14-Aug-26 22:14:18

I got a dreadful shock, didn't have a clue as to what it was. It was coming from my sofa where my phone was so I picked it up.
The last time we had an alert like this, the entire family were in a restaurant and every phone in the premises sounded off.

Bukkie Fri 14-Aug-26 22:30:44

I initially thought it was a klaxon on the athletics I was watching.

tabbie Fri 14-Aug-26 22:34:57

To be honest, with all the reels and pictures on the news after the past few months I'm surprised anyone needed to be told.

But at least it shows the alert works for any major catastrophe.

JenniRen Fri 14-Aug-26 22:37:51

Last time I didn't receive the alert either, however my phone has just been updated so why the alarm didn't go off today is puzzling.

BoggledMind Fri 14-Aug-26 22:47:36

Galaxy

I have asked this elsewhere but was there a warning that was going to happen? For women with secret phones ( domestic abuse) it can be quite dangerous.

There were warnings preceding the tests when the system was originally set up (there have been two tests), but they can't send a warning about an actual alert. The alerts come as and when are required, sometimes at very short notice.

As for those with suffering from domestic abuse who have secret phones, the alerts can be turned off so that they are not received by the phone. Obviously the people concerned wouldn't receive any alerts, but I would imagine an alert would be of less importance than their personal safety. It's just unacceptable that people are treated so badly that they have to make that choice.

Redrobin51 Fri 14-Aug-26 22:50:03

We've had fires in my town. 20 houses burnt down and another 20 damaged. Fortunately, no one badly injured. Some firemen and a few people had to go to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. We could smell the smoke the other side of town.
The alert certainly gets your notice.

Janiepops Fri 14-Aug-26 22:52:01

I got it whilst in the cinema,but so did everyone else!
My husband ( only two miles away) didn’t get one at all 🤷‍♀️

Galaxy Fri 14-Aug-26 22:56:12

Thanks boggled mind. I was sure I had blocked them when the idea was first announced, but I have just had to do it again. It is possible i meant to do it and didnt.

valdali Fri 14-Aug-26 22:59:00

ixion

Absolutely no reason why it couldn't have been announced on the various news platforms in advance of the alert.

Why the element of surprise?

Perhaps they think the surprise helps to drum it in that this isn't just like "hosepipe ban" or something, it is really dangerous to have a fire or disposable BBQ at this point because we're crisis dry.

Anything that might get through to those that think "oh, my BBQ won't hurt" "it's only a little firework" or whatever, is sensible although it is scarey for we who are generally anxious.

eazybee Sat 15-Aug-26 07:50:05

Heard it at 7pm but thought something had gone horribly wrong with my washing machine as phone was out of sight at bottom of handbag. Played again at 10pm and realised it was my phone. A silly stunt, should be reserved for warnings of immediate danger. Plentiful warnings on TV, radio, newspapers etc, although some people. (a sample of my acquaintances) seem to deliberately ignore , evade news and current affairs.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 15-Aug-26 07:56:04

I had another at 10.45pm.

Extratime Sat 15-Aug-26 08:01:23

Not sure if the message has got through to everyone. There were fireworks here last night after the alert!

Sago Sat 15-Aug-26 08:32:47

Extratime

Not sure if the message has got through to everyone. There were fireworks here last night after the alert!

And this is exactly why we have to have such alerts because of the hopefully small percentage of our population who are thick and entitled.

Dickens Sat 15-Aug-26 09:26:35

Sago

Extratime

Not sure if the message has got through to everyone. There were fireworks here last night after the alert!

And this is exactly why we have to have such alerts because of the hopefully small percentage of our population who are thick and entitled.

Like all such similar warnings - 'Don't-Drink-And-Drive', 'Watch-Your-Speed', etc, this one will also be ignored by those (hopefully) small percentage of self-entitled, arrogant individuals.

I 'met' one on the BBC HYS comments section only yesterday who said that personal freedom was being eroded by a possible ban on the sale of disposable BBQs.

It's also being scoffed at by teenage boys encouraging each other on Tik-Tok to "set fire to stuff" in the latest and seemingly endless "challenges" prevalent on that website.

Oreo Sat 15-Aug-26 09:37:00

I thought WW 3 was being declared!
I must be of a nervous disposition cos it made me almost jump in the air.