Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite small treat when feeling blue or conversely a bit flush

(39 Posts)
Nannee49 Fri 14-Aug-26 11:54:26

I went on a 30 minute bus ride this morning to get to a wonderful little French style patisserie in a local village. They do divine almond croissant, my little treat to myself when I'm feeling fed up & I'll pair it with a hazelnut latte if I'm in funds/feeling extravagant/not watching the diet for once.

What's your favourite small treat - food related or otherwise?
(I do like getting stuck into a new book too!)

SpinDriftCoastal Sat 15-Aug-26 13:48:45

A bar of Cadbury's Wholenut.

MT62 Sat 15-Aug-26 13:33:41

Cashmere socks. I’ve a drawer full. Enough to see me out.

Taichinan Sat 15-Aug-26 13:17:17

A small tub of salted caramel ice cream!
maybe not a small tub 😉

Youngerthanspringtime Sat 15-Aug-26 13:17:04

GU Zillionaire Cheesecake Dessert pot.........mmmm heaven in a jar.
Actually reading through this thread it's interesting how diverse peoples ideas of traets are'

Tenko Sat 15-Aug-26 13:00:28

Percy pigs from marks is my go to , if I need a boost .

Jaxjacky Sat 15-Aug-26 10:36:08

Cut flowers (from Cornwall), plant for the garden and/or seeds. I don’t need any of them, but they would give me pleasure.

loopyloo Sat 15-Aug-26 09:35:47

Something from Charlotte Tilbury,darling.
A new book
A bar of chocolate

TheWeirdoAgain60 Sat 15-Aug-26 09:29:04

A pack of Spar Wafer Thin Chicken with a tub of either Sour Cream & Chive Dip or Garlic & Herb Dip, washed down with a bottle of Lucozade Original!

nanna8 Sat 15-Aug-26 03:04:45

You lot have made me want to go out and buy some treats,now. It’s all your faults …

crazyH Sat 15-Aug-26 01:12:44

A pack of M&S vanilla fudge , usually scoffed within the hour 🤤

nanna8 Sat 15-Aug-26 00:40:10

Lemon tarts , chocolate, a Pinot Grigio.

MawsRosie Sat 15-Aug-26 00:34:28

NOT food!
A new scarf or a lippy or perfume

BoggledMind Fri 14-Aug-26 23:16:08

A dessert from M & S. We actually had their tiramisu last week. Very nice!

valdali Fri 14-Aug-26 23:07:23

Chocolate ice cream or extra-chocolatey hot chocolate if I'm really fed-up.

An Alpro chocolate milk will suffice if I'm slogging through a boring / difficult job & need a reward halfway through.

Harris27 Fri 14-Aug-26 21:55:45

M&S salmon pate.

Cossy Fri 14-Aug-26 21:50:49

So many lovely things!

Black cherries a must.
Now Magnum do a cherry lolly.
Cookie dough ice cream
Big fat warm jam doughnut
Rockie Road
Warm fat scones, with cherry jam and clotted cream
Large glass of Pimms

Obviously not all at once! 🐽🐷🐽🐷

madeleine45 Fri 14-Aug-26 21:45:12

Oh yes I agree , wonderful cherries, which last for such a short season it gives you permission to have as many as you can afford, while they are around.

We have an open market here twice a week and you really see the fruit at its best, and I want to support the market in any case. The stall holders get to know you and over time will learn what you like, and call out and tell you when a favourite fruit or vegetable is there at its best , or just arrived. Also I dont want 6 apples of one sort living alone, and with them I can pick and choose . Result good quality choices, with very little ever wasted or thrown away, supports local farmers too and if I am having a bad day, the stall holders are kind enough to get me things if I am struggling. Win/win situation and if we keep the market going the supermarkets cant take over and leave us with poorer choices at higher prices. There is even a fresh fish stall comes too , which adds to fresh choice.

teabagwoman Fri 14-Aug-26 13:51:34

Chocolate ginger every time.

Nannee49 Fri 14-Aug-26 13:51:00

Ooh, cherries!! And they are one of a very few treats that are truly seasonal nowadays so you have to get them while you can.

AweSum72 Fri 14-Aug-26 13:50:09

a wee pack of 4 individual melton mowbray pork pies

Nannee49 Fri 14-Aug-26 13:48:07

Living up to your name Cabbiegrin and good on you for treating yourself, I find it very difficult to call a taxi if my bus pass will get me there for free.

Witzend Fri 14-Aug-26 13:36:26

When in season (which is pretty short) I treat us to luscious fat black British cherries from M&S.
While the Gdcs were staying recently we got through rather a lot, since they found them pretty irresistible, too.

Charleygirl5 Fri 14-Aug-26 13:31:26

For me, at home, a cup of coffee and a box of Maltesers. They are almost pricing themselves off the market because I rarely see them on shelves, although I try to keep away from that section.

Cherries, definitely.

Cabbie21 Fri 14-Aug-26 13:14:59

Not food, but my treat this week was a taxi instead of a 20 minute walk ( with luggage) in this heat.

Beechnut Fri 14-Aug-26 13:05:34

Aveline

Peach Magnums. Soo delicious. Peachy, creamy and crispy. Makes me happy to even think of them.

Ooh Aveline I haven’t seen those so will be keeping a lookout. I just know I will like them too. Thanks 😀