Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday 12th August 2026

(56 Posts)
Michael12 Wed 12-Aug-26 05:00:25

Good Morning Everyone,
Its twilight here in Brackley but its remains dry .
Todays usual plans to Bicester hopefully chat to those who I know .
Have lunch then with the heat stay as cool as I can .
Health OK ,
Take Care,
Mick

WhiteSwan63 Wed 12-Aug-26 13:51:47

Thankyou so much for your kind words today it means a lot xx

grandMattie Wed 12-Aug-26 12:31:37

Deepest condolences, whiteswan. As fgt said, end of life care is both exhausting and rewarding.

TheWeirdoAgain60 Wed 12-Aug-26 12:11:42

Good morning, Michael12 and all!

grandMattie the quilt is absolutely gorgeous, very well done!

Yesterday I had to leave work at 3:15 instead of 4, for the optician at 3:30 - they're just a couple of minutes away - and on the receptionists desk is a bottle of hand sanitizer. I LOVE hs and have a huge bottle at home. So I squirted some on. Then when leaving I had another squirt and told the receptionist ''I eat this stuff for breakfast! Drink it for dinner!'' In all seriousness she said ''WHAT?!'' Then she realized I was playing her up and we both cackled away! But I did tell her I do actually love hs and use it every day!

I know! You don't need to tell me! I'm really seriously evil!

When Alan was checking my eyes and he had a mask on so he used this Ophthalmoscope, so his face was basically just a squidge away from mine, while he looked into my eyes, and I had this deep desperate urge to say BOO! I promise you I didn't and never would, but I had to really stop myself from saying it!

At my age, 61, he said my eyes are actually really good, no sign of cataracts, or anything bad or serious, then he said ''not bad for an old menopausal woman!" HA HA HA! He and the receptionist really are both great!

Last night I scoffed a tin of Fray Bentos Meatballs in gravy with a small tin of peas and a slice of Cathedral City cheese, vinegar and tom sauce, washed down with a huge mug of Alpro Nutty Almond milk, and watched YouTube's How It's Made - Marbles. Absolutely fascinating and beautiful!

Off my break now, back to the till!

See you all later!

aggie Wed 12-Aug-26 12:06:51

Good Morning from a very hot Co Armagh, I’m just back from our meeting to set the program for our activities in the Wednesday club ,
I might just see the eclipse on tv , we are in a valley and there is a big hill on the western side.
I think we missed most of it last time here
Hoping for a calm and cooler day here

Harris27 Wed 12-Aug-26 10:46:50

Eclipse is exciting I remember working in the last one and we all went outside it was eerie and everything just went silent. What a moment! Might just stand on the patio and feel the moment this time as I’ve no glasses and no patience to wait too long!

Grandmabatty Wed 12-Aug-26 10:34:09

WhiteSwan my condolences on tge death of your uncle.
When I arrived to see the boys, they were hyper! Dgs2 was not keen to get his photograph taken, nor wear a shirt and tie. He also was very nervous apparently when the teachers came out. But he went in fine with his wee friend. I went for a coffee with my aunt and uncle. I'm now home, washing is hung out and I'm about to pick up Lego. Enjoy your day all

madeleine45 Wed 12-Aug-26 10:16:07

Good morning Michael and all GN's on yet another sunny but slightly breezy morning in North Yorkshire. I am still on a rather annoying pattern, where I cant get to sleep and then wake up later, so have been reading all your posts and trying to loosen up ready for a trip on the yellow peril to the market. I am still creaking around but improving slowly .

Yesterday, I was in that cant make my mind up what I wanted to do for much of the day, and just did ordinary basic jobs, but looked at other things with no inspiration to get down to anything. So then in the later afternoon decided that I would go out on the yellow peril, and go to the Tourist Info in the park. My plan was to pick up a brochure or two, and see what if anything was happening round about that might interest me. Then to go to the supermarket for the odd bits and pieces.

Got to the park, only to find that the TI was shut as only open until 1pm on tuesdays!! So my effort was for nothing. However I then went to the high street and called in at Hays travel, which was totally empty, and where they know me., from my trips to Maderia and the Artic. I asked the lady for any inspiration for any trips in September, in Britain, and got a couple of brochures for coach trips. Then I went into Cafe Nero for a coffee, where they have air conditioning and had a quick flick through. Then on to Tesco where the odd one or two bits of course turned into a basket full and home. After unpacking shopping and making a meal, I had a look through the brochures.

I have always driven to places, and enjoyed the drive and choosing my own way to go, stopping as and where I felt like it. Have had the odd day out on a coach, but not longer trips, and not sure how I will manage sitting for a long time, if my back will be better or worse ,not driving. Then , how much walking about I would be able to do, without having the yellow peril to get around on. The plus side is that the cost of the accommodation would be less that if I went on my own. I would be glad of any comments or tips from any of you who have had coach trips and who you recommend to try out. The other option I might look at is to drive to a holiday park place, which has a swimming pool. I could take my small scooter in the car and then could use it as a base for a week. It is trying to shift my ideas to allow for less mobility when I think about what I could do.

So am about to go down to the market for some fruit and veg and then call for the first time at the bank hub, as my bank has closed here. I can withdraw cash at an ATM, but want to check out where the nearest branch - if any - is , should I need to contact them, and just check out what is possible with the hub once a week. Dont need anything, but want to just check it out.

At my age am somewhat blase about seeing eclipse, having seen many and varied ones from Britain and other countries over the years, and not particularly hopeful to have a clear sky here, so as at that time I shall be on my way to the whist drive, probably see it on the tv later. Most definitely wont risk looking at the sun, without glasses. Hope everyone who has made plans gets to see it clearly.

Granmaretto, good luck with your house offer. Hope all goes well for you. Might you write down the reasons you like the property and then you can look at them, and remind yourself what you saw that appealed, so that if your family are disapproving you can remind yourself why you chose it. It is difficult when they dont like your choice. I can see the point in listening to their comments , when they flag up problems that you might not have thought of, but in the end it is you that is living there, not them. Marydoll good for you keeping on at the doctor. When they know you are an intelligent and sensible person, why dont they listen to you, as you are with your DH and much more aware of the situation than they are? Glad you are improving day to day RosesandLilac.

Well good luck to everyone watching the eclipse and hope that plans work out for everyone today. Hope you all find some shade and have a good day today

monk08 Wed 12-Aug-26 09:48:50

Condolences Whiteswan 💐

Georgesgran Wed 12-Aug-26 09:45:47

Good Morning from a cloudy, but bright Durham, forecast says 29c today.
Brutal podiatry yesterday, but a means to an end - tender, but not too bad, so far.
The car boot lady is on her way to collect my first lot of loft stuff, then I have a friend calling in for coffee.
I’m meeting my oldest friend later at a local garden centre. We meet weekly, but she’s been on holiday with her teenage grandchildren, so lots to talk about. The elder has exam results due tomorrow - tense times.
Condolences WhiteSwan 💐
Hope the stitch removal is ok Rosesand
Watch what you’re doing in the garden MD - so easy to have a mishap and your DH will be oblivious!

Best wishes to all. X

glammagran Wed 12-Aug-26 09:45:41

Good morning from an already very hot Wiltshire.

We had a lovely day in Bath with DD1, GD1 and GD2. We split up so the girls could mooch around in peace. DH went down to the river. As I can’t walk far atm, DD1 and I stayed close to the shops. Then we all had lunch in Côte. I don’t see GD2 that often as she and her family are always so busy. DS takes GS1 to swimming practice most days now competes in national competitions. GS2 was invited to go on holiday to his GF’s family villa in Croatia last week. GD1 is going on holiday to Corfu at the weekend with her BF.

We have test drives of a Hyundai Tuscon and a Kia Sportage later on today. I will endeavour to read everyone’s posts later in the day. Will look forward to the eclipse early evening.

latedecember1963 Wed 12-Aug-26 09:45:24

Good morning everyone from a gloriously sunny, Anglesey.

Hope you enjoyed your visit to Anglesey, Gelissa. It's a magical place that creeps into your heart.

It's hectic here so I'll catch up with your messages later. Wishing you all a good day. Take care. 🌻

Litterpicker Wed 12-Aug-26 09:37:14

My condolences WhiteSwan to you, your mum and the family 💐

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 12-Aug-26 09:30:06

Relief re your uncle WhiteSwan
End of Life care is emotionally draining. My sincere condolences. 💐

BlueSapphire Wed 12-Aug-26 09:23:55

Good morning everyone from another hot day in Northampton, 32°C later this afternoon. So another day of not doing much, and a repeat of yesterday.

I did manage to get the bed changed and bedding washed and dried, yesterday, but after that pretty much gave up.
Must get the bedrooms damp-dusted and hoovered and that will be it. Sort Sainsbury's order for tomorrow.

Easy dinner of cold roast chicken and possibly chips.
Wishing all a pleasant day.

Jaxjacky Wed 12-Aug-26 09:18:13

My condolences WhiteSwan relief from his pain 🥀

WhiteSwan63 Wed 12-Aug-26 09:13:34

Good morning from the east coast and a beautiful clear blue sky.
Grandmattie your quilt is beautiful you are so talented.
Enjoy the eclipse everyone. We may be able to see it well from our garden as we are west facing. DH fancies popping out somewhere.

My uncle has died, he didn’t know we were with him on Sunday as he’d had a morphine injection from the district nurses. I’m so glad mum and I kissed him goodbye but we thought we’d see him on the Monday. When I saw my mum calling me at 1-30 am I knew. No one knew why he died but he was in so much pain. It will be interesting to see what is on his death certificate. Mum is ok. It’s been expected but was still a shock. His carers didn’t expect it either but we all knew he was very poorly.

Sending thoughts to all suffering illness stress and grief 💐
Have a good day and try to keep cool these next few days 🌼

GrannySomerset Wed 12-Aug-26 09:05:18

I remember the last eclipse(1999?) and how silent the world became - uncanny and rather disturbing. Physio class this morning and a supermarket run; if tomorrow is as hot as predicted I shan’t need to do anything but survive quietly if I have everything I need. These days my aim is to not to be a nuisance to my not very near loved ones.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 12-Aug-26 08:56:50

Melanie our Plan B if the eclipse glasses didn’t arrive was to stand with your back to the sun, holding a colander to let the sun shine through the holes onto a white wall if possible, but failing that, a large sheet of white paper.
#lazygran

Jaxjacky Wed 12-Aug-26 08:55:08

Morning from S Hants, it’s a pleasant temperature and sunny, up into the low 30’s later.
I like those colours gMattie lovely.
I chased my cortisone injection yesterday, a 4 month wait, I'm exploring private options.
MrJ’s team lost their bowls match last night, but are promoted anyway, I was more aware of the night’s drawing in last night.
Daughter and children are having a great time in Turkey, very green hotel grounds, even in the heat.
Have a decent day all.
🦩🦩

grandMattie Wed 12-Aug-26 08:47:54

Well done, fgt, give your halo a good polish!

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 12-Aug-26 08:43:08

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s sunny with a high of 33°C. We’ve all said it’s getting us acclimatised for Málaga! L’il Miss is SO excited.

They fly out on Friday for 16 days. I’ve to pass them the apartment keys this evening when I go over to eat and then watch the eclipse with them. I follow on next Wednesday with keys to my friend’s apartment in the block.

I decided it’d be nice for them all to have a week on their own. Little families who work full time with children in school deserve time ‘just being themselves’. Nice though that they asked me to fly out with them but I said no off you pop and I’ll see you the week after. 😇

Redcar Wed 12-Aug-26 08:41:04

gagagran yes, I’d be in trouble looking at the sun through a colander wouldn’t I?

Grammaretto Wed 12-Aug-26 08:37:29

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Another sunny day in prospect.
Yarn group and community lunch. I am aware that the eclipse will be visible this evening and hope everyone keeps safe.

I offered on a house yesterday and await developments.
My family are not keen which is hard.

I made 9lbs of plum jam yesterday and there are several lbs left which I will give away and freeze a few. This one little tree has been so productive.

Such a nice quilt gMattie
I hope R&L is recovering well.

Keep cool and keep safe everyone.

Llamas99 Wed 12-Aug-26 08:18:46

Hollysteers beautiful painting, she looks 'enchanted'!

hollysteers Wed 12-Aug-26 08:03:11

Good morning from Sunnyside Sandhills northwest coast.
I enjoyed the music club yesterday after missing a few weeks and the turnout was good. I was on the desk and sang three songs. Rather rusty as haven’t been practising much.

A bit of painting and in the evening I started watching North and South from 1975 and a Patrick Stewart with a mane of hair!
Annoyingly fell asleep in front of the television.
Some decluttering today.

Lovely quilt Grandmattie and thoughts to all🌺
My painting from yesterday.