Gransnet forums

Chat

Unbelievable What I've Just Read

(60 Posts)
Moonwatcher1904 Mon 10-Aug-26 00:28:11

A local lady wanted some eclipse glasses so ended up buying a box of 100 on Amazon. She is selling what she didn't want to anyone who wanted any.
So someone replied with the comment Why do you need glasses.
So the replies were you can't look directly at the sun even during an eclipse.
So her reply was why can't you use ordinary sunglasses.
To which the reply to that was they're not strong enough.
She said she was confused as you can look at the sun when it's hot.
So she got told you could get eye damage if you look at the sun without proper glasses.
Her final reply was That's crazy.

I said to my DH who also read the post that I can't believe that there are people walking about this earth who have no idea about anything.

Silvertwigs Thu 13-Aug-26 09:18:25

Correct

Luckygirl3 Thu 13-Aug-26 08:45:03

Brilliant pics!
Saw nothing here .... sudden cloud arrived after weeks of blue sky!

Moonwatcher1904 Wed 12-Aug-26 22:20:42

The seafront opposite where I live was packed with people. It was a good view from start to finish. We were very lucky with the weather.
Here a couple of my pics.

crissy Wed 12-Aug-26 11:39:17

We'll open our lounge curtains about 5pm as usual on these hot days. Then we can gradually experience the gradual darkness-light while watching it all on the telly. BBC news are broadcasting from Greenwich. We can nip outside to see what's happening in the garden. I might take a photo from the telly with smartphone.

We would have good views of the real thing from our front, but no glasses.

Musicgirl Wed 12-Aug-26 08:58:01

It's exciting but l don't think l am likely to see much of it because l live in the East Midlands. I think the best chances, as in 1999, are in the south-west. In 1999, we were on holiday and on Sheringham beach in North Norfolk with our very small children. At around 11.00, a small, dark cloud appeared in the otherwise cloudless blue sky for about ten seconds. It was a few minutes later when we realised that this must have been the eclipse. We were too far north and too far east to see any more of it. On the other hand, I recall that people were paying thousands of pounds in order to stay in Devon and Cornwall to see the eclipse.

Whiff Wed 12-Aug-26 06:01:10

Last time I watched an eclipse was over 25 years ago . In Ireland we had the curtains shut and watched it live on the TV. I have a rare hereditary neurological condition which is effected by bright light and host of other thjngs. My curtains will be shut and will watch it on the TV.

On the subject of riding a bike. My brother has been a biker since he was 16 nearly 67 now. And even on the hottest weather he wears his leathers so do all his biker friend's of 30-50 years. He saw first hand a friend getting killed. She only had on shorts and bikini top . Was hit by a car which sent her skidding across the road at speed and tore her breasts off and other skin she died not long after the ambulance came. This was when he was in his early 20's the imagine has never left him.

DeeDe Wed 12-Aug-26 00:26:27

There are so many counterfeit ones online, markets, Amazon eBay
They have to have a number printed on to be safe
Be better off using a Colander…

Moonwatcher1904 Tue 11-Aug-26 22:21:27

And there will be still be people trying to look through the holes in a colander.
I've seen loads of posts today asking where you can get some eclipse glasses. It's like asking where you can get a turkey at 6pm on Christmas Eve.

Luckygirl3 Tue 11-Aug-26 22:05:13

YOu don't actually look through the colander - you turn your back on the sun and let the image appear on a piece of card via the colander.

Desdemona Tue 11-Aug-26 21:54:24

Yes but it might strain your eyes,

Elegran Tue 11-Aug-26 21:16:32

WithNobsOnIt

Luckygirl3

You can look through a colander I am told.

Make sure the colander is clean. No odd bits of peas or veggies floating about.

You don't exactly look through it. You stand with your back to the sun and hold up the colander so that the sun shines through the holes onto a piece of paper or a pale wall. You get as many little suns as the colander has holes!

Milest0ne Tue 11-Aug-26 20:41:46

watermeadow

When any astronomical event is announced it’s usually too wet or cloudy to see anything. If only Wednesday’s partial eclipse would bring rain!

You must live near me. It is guaranteed to be cloudy here. whenever there is a meteor shower, planets in alignment , special moons. It could be clear the night before or after
I even wonder is we can see the eclipse even with clear sky as we are in a little valley surrounded by trees. 6pm today the sun was out of sight here.
I don't remember glasses being available for the last eclipse. We used the solid ends of 35mm film.
I am hoping for rain as our spring is down to a trickle. I am using the water from the de-humidifier for the tomatoes.

Aldom Tue 11-Aug-26 20:04:26

Sooze58

Someone on our local notice board asked where was the best place to see the eclipse. The answers were hilarious as you can imagine - look up, in the sky, where do you normally see the sun etc. etc.

Not really very funny.

The best areas in the UK are in the South West.
To see a total eclipse Iceland or Greenland etc.

lizzypopbottle Tue 11-Aug-26 19:05:51

This is my colander photo from last partial eclipse in 2015 but it's not very good. It's projected onto a white background.

semperfidelis Tue 11-Aug-26 18:42:43

There was an eclipse in 1999. I remember it. I was walking with a group in the Cotswolds when the light suddenly went grey and eerie and all the birds stopped singing. After a few minutes the sky lightened and a cock suddenly crowed as if it were early morning! I enjoyed the experience as it was- why bother about wearing the glasses at all?

Sparky51 Tue 11-Aug-26 18:34:50

Thats a bit unkind !!!

Elrel Tue 11-Aug-26 17:06:22

Juneandarchie1
And they vote…

Juneandarchie1 Tue 11-Aug-26 15:43:23

They live amongst us 🙄

PinkCosmos Tue 11-Aug-26 15:22:35

Fallingstar

I never look at the sun, and wear sunglasses even when the sun is diffused, am very photo sensitive and even looking at a candle flame can set off a migraine so when we sit down in a restaurant where a candle has been lit I have to blow it out.
So I won’t be trying to look at the eclipse but if it means the hot temps drop, if only for a brief time, I will be happy.

FallingStar - I have this same problem with migraine and bright or flickering light. Do you have a specific type of sunglasses that you wear for this? I am due to buy some new ones.

I had my eyes tested a couple of weeks ago and they didn't recommend any filters or anything on my normal reading glasses. Mainly because they are reading glasses and I don't walk around with them on

WithNobsOnIt Tue 11-Aug-26 15:15:45

Luckygirl3

You can look through a colander I am told.

Make sure the colander is clean. No odd bits of peas or veggies floating about.

Gango Tue 11-Aug-26 15:15:14

Probably shouldn’t make this political. I think there are enough numnuts in every party smile

Jojo1950 Tue 11-Aug-26 15:03:31

I vaguely remember that being said!

Jojo1950 Tue 11-Aug-26 15:02:35

Correct! 🙄

Jojo1950 Tue 11-Aug-26 15:01:27

Also the ones who voted in Labour! 🤷‍♀️

Jojo1950 Tue 11-Aug-26 15:00:36

😂😂