Gransnet forums

Chat

The solar eclipse on Wednesday 12th August

(209 Posts)
FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 06-Aug-26 09:00:37

I’ve just bought some Celestron Solar Eclipse Glasses on line (cardboard frames) for myself and family for safe viewing. This eclipse will be as good as the one in 1999 - if cloud cover allows.

Do you plan to watch the event?

BlueBelle Sat 08-Aug-26 18:26:08

I m in east of England and from what I see it’s going to be the least visible here getting stronger going west

Estrellita Sat 08-Aug-26 18:08:38

I didn't know about it.

jocork Sat 08-Aug-26 16:55:11

My ex was very keen on astronomy so our holiday in 1999 was to the right bit of France where it lasted the longest. It was quite memorable. I even made little glasses for my then 7 year old son's toy to wear which were mislaid at the last moment. My ex recorded the event and there was much fussing about the loss of 'Pebble's glasses' which thankfully were found just in time!
Sadly I don't think I still have the safety glasses we had and I didn't know about this one in advance so probably too late now, but I may try to view it somehow. I can't afford to travel to where it's total though my ex may well do. He's travelled to see others since 1999.

Grannyme6 Sat 08-Aug-26 15:44:33

I’ve just unearthed our safety glasses bought for 1999 eclipse when we took DD to France to view it. Hope they’re still safe to use on 12th. They look brand new.

Frenchgalinspain Sat 08-Aug-26 15:26:48

We are discussing this at the moment.

TillyWhiz Sat 08-Aug-26 15:18:40

At the last one in 1999, I was working at a museum on the south coast in an area known for its birdlife. As the sky darkened, the birds all came overhead, off the sea, thinking it was time to roost. That was quite spectacular.

bookwormbabe Sat 08-Aug-26 14:45:45

We went to my mother and stepfather's house in West Cornwall for the 1999 one. Looking at the map showing the projected path they were right bang in the middle of it, so it should have been spectacular. Guess what, it clouded over for almost the whole time, only clearing right at the end when there was a tiny sliver of black left on the sun. Still, it was an interesting experience with everything going dark. There was a field of horses next door and they went to the end of the field to lie down, presumably thinking it was bedtime.

Jess20 Sat 08-Aug-26 14:44:50

I also bought special glasses and I agree, sods law, it'll probably be overcast 🤭 saw the one in 1999 in France, it was a bit surreal.

Alocin Sat 08-Aug-26 14:37:09

Dontcallmelove

There will also be a meteor shower on the 12th, too. It is also the date that the Martians invaded in War of the Worlds. We are holding a party!

Have you invited the Martians this time? If invited maybe they won’t invade!

Mollygo Sat 08-Aug-26 14:21:36

We were in France for the one in 1999. We were sitting outside a cafe and it went really dark. The waiter was reminding people to “garder vos sacs” as he took orders just before the full eclipse.

HobbyCat Sat 08-Aug-26 14:09:38

shysal

I am prepared, bought some glasses for myself and a set of cardboard ones including 2 smartphone lenses for when the DDs and GCs remember at the last minute. Delivery times on Ebay are already for after August 12th unless you pay extra for next day from Amazon.
Having had clear skies for weeks, you can bet there will be cloud cover - Sod's Law!

It’s the same on Amazon even with Prime now.

Jaxjacky Sat 08-Aug-26 14:06:51

We went to a local beach overlooking the Solent for the last one, it was very quiet, no seagulls and almost a calm sea.
We’ll be at home for this one.

Nanny27 Sat 08-Aug-26 13:54:53

In 1999 we went to Paris and stood outside Sacre coeur to watch the total eclipse. One of the most memorable moments of my life. We watched Paris go dark and all the light come on across the city.

SueEH Sat 08-Aug-26 13:41:36

Yes I’m going to Majorca on Tuesday to watch from Santa Ponça beach.

Danma Sat 08-Aug-26 13:40:45

It won’t be a full eclipse but as I live on the south coast i’ll go to the cliff top to watch.
Last time I went out onto one of the plains in the forest and it was weird listening to the birds as they were confused

Dontcallmelove Fri 07-Aug-26 18:33:44

There will also be a meteor shower on the 12th, too. It is also the date that the Martians invaded in War of the Worlds. We are holding a party!

Crumbly159 Fri 07-Aug-26 18:23:06

Would like to watch it but - as per usual - the clouds will move in and obscure the whole darn thing.

MawsRosie Fri 07-Aug-26 18:08:23

My recollection of the last one was how everything seemed to go from colour to grey, how it went silent and felt quite eerie. It didn’t go dark as such but the light went, if you see what I mean.
I’ll be in the Périgord next Wednesday with the whole family and wonder what the kids will make of it.
Currently waiting for Amazon to deliver 6 pairs of cardboard “spex”

fancythat Fri 07-Aug-26 18:04:12

We have trees blocking the view. Will go out in a minute[as this is roughly the time it will be] and see where is the best viewing point.

Gwyllt Fri 07-Aug-26 17:58:54

Sun will be behind the rise to the west of our house I shall have to walk down the track to see it Should be clear

fancythat Fri 07-Aug-26 15:47:45

Thank you.

Maybe it is just a case of thinking about sizing.

shysal Fri 07-Aug-26 15:13:16

fancythat

Does anyone know where to get solar glasses that go over kids glasses?

Or am I over thinking?

The cardboard glasses come in kids sizes as well as adults. Available on Ebay and Amazon. I bought a pack with 2 of each.

Fallingstar Fri 07-Aug-26 13:31:50

Having said that temps are scorching again on weds next week so if a solar eclipse means the sun is covered and temps go down, will be happy with that.

Fallingstar Fri 07-Aug-26 13:28:36

I don’t recall seeing an eclipse where it goes totally dark, have seen the kind where it goes grey and eerily quiet but is not that thrilling really.

Visgir1 Fri 07-Aug-26 12:05:08

My son is taking his family on a Cruise, part of it when booked was the Ship stopping off the coast of Spain to observe the Eclipse.
They have already purchased special kids glasses for the girls so they must be available, probably through Amazon?