Gransnet forums

Chat

The solar eclipse on Wednesday 12th August

(209 Posts)
FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 06-Aug-26 09:00:37

I’ve just bought some Celestron Solar Eclipse Glasses on line (cardboard frames) for myself and family for safe viewing. This eclipse will be as good as the one in 1999 - if cloud cover allows.

Do you plan to watch the event?

MartavTaurus Wed 12-Aug-26 23:52:52

It didn't get as dark as we expected, but it was still a significant occurrence and enjoyable to spectate in a group.

Wyllow3 Wed 12-Aug-26 23:46:24

I enjoyed the pix, but enjoyed more the BBC news at 10pm presentation. It was truly wonderful as it went around Europe and Iceland and showed lots of people in the UK who did get the best.
Wonder from kids - "Awesome". Reminded us of our joint humanity.

Me - I was indoors dealing with a temporary crisis ..and forgot 🙄.

twiglet77 Wed 12-Aug-26 23:39:44

I fell asleep on the sofa around 5pm and woke just before 7, by the time I got outside 10 minutes later I think it was all over!

Fallingstar Wed 12-Aug-26 23:25:26

We shared our eclipse glasses with a neighbour sitting in our backyard, didn’t know it had started until we put on the glasses, it took a while until we thought we noticed the light growing dimmer, but it probably wouldn’t have occurred to us that anything dramatic was happening if we hadn’t known there was an eclipse. I had prayed it would get cooler but it didn’t.
I suppose you need a total eclipse to notice it.

Grannyme6 Wed 12-Aug-26 23:22:36

Yes the glasses we used were from 1999 Abitbarmy, they’d been carefully stored in their original packaging. So pleased I remembered where to find them!

Abitbarmy Wed 12-Aug-26 22:35:02

We watched it with the same glasses we used in 1999 that I’d kept in a cupboard just in case! We won’t see another so it was a special occasion and pleased we could see it in a cloudless sky.

srn63 Wed 12-Aug-26 22:29:55

I don't know what many of you expected. We bought the correct glasses to watch it properly and found it awesome. I give up.

MawsRosie Wed 12-Aug-26 22:27:19

Very striking here in the Périgord where we have had the hottest day yet. Clear blue skies and bright sun gradually got greyer and (phew!) a tiny bit cooler. We watched it from the top of the garden where we had an uninterrupted view and the cheapo Amazon eclipse glasses worked brilliantly.
2 SILs got some great pics which I am waiting for them to share with me.
I’m so glad we saw it here- 3 generations together making it a really meaningful occasion.

MawsRosie Wed 12-Aug-26 22:23:31

Farmor15

Colander worked well for me. Got quite dusky for a while.

You should t view the eclipse through a colander
You might strain your eyes
Boom, boom!

Farmor15 Wed 12-Aug-26 21:43:09

Colander worked well for me. Got quite dusky for a while.

JenniRen Wed 12-Aug-26 21:42:25

Whitewavemark2

Honestly!!

You all lack soul and wonder.

No, we don't!

The Universe is awesome. Beyond comprehension!

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌚

Llamas99 Wed 12-Aug-26 21:38:57

WhiteWaveMark What a perspicacious cat you have! smile

sodapop Wed 12-Aug-26 21:38:54

Bit of a non event here in France as well. Too cloudy. Ah well c'est la vie.

LadyGracie Wed 12-Aug-26 21:23:32

Only a slight change in light

JenniRen Wed 12-Aug-26 21:22:33

Our lovely neighbour gave us two pairs of eclipse glasses, daughter took one pair to watch with friends and we shared the other pair.

Margiknot, I watched the 1999 eclipse from the garden here with daughter and it did seem more eerie than today's eclipse. It was good but not spectacular.
Doubt we'll be here for the next one!

LadyGracie Wed 12-Aug-26 21:20:44

A bit of a non event in South Wales , very disappointing

Margiknot Wed 12-Aug-26 21:17:24

1999 eclipse seen from the top of a small mountain near Salzburg- was properly surreal. It went cold and completely dark , the wind changed and the birds went quiet. Today - a partial eclipse from the top of a local hill- was disappointing! Several little flocks of geese took to the air as they usually do just before dusk. It cooled down a little, but really did not get dark. Our eclipse glasses- ordered a week ago - arrived just in time!

Grannyme6 Wed 12-Aug-26 21:16:46

90.8% where I was viewing. Tried the colander and pinhole trick, both hopeless. Then viewed through eclipse glasses and saw it clearly at the optimum time. Shared them with a couple near me who had been trying the colander trick. We were all really chuffed.

tanith Wed 12-Aug-26 21:11:52

Bit of a damp squid here in Bedfordshire, sun was just as bright as any other evening disappointed.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 12-Aug-26 21:11:21

Whitewavemark2

Honestly!!

You all lack soul and wonder.

💯😁

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 12-Aug-26 21:08:11

We had bright sunshine no cloud. Fantastic with the glasses. We had 5 pairs (one each) and we noticed a family of neighbours on the front trying the colander method - so we passed over 2 pairs of ours … “Eh mum these are brilliant! You can see the orange of the sun now!” said the teenager. It felt nice to share as they were delighted and thanked us profusely!
😁

crazyH Wed 12-Aug-26 20:57:14

What a non-event 😫

Oldnproud Wed 12-Aug-26 20:48:37

If I hadnt known there was going to be an eclipse, I wouldn't have noticed a thing. As it was, it just felt like the sky had become a little hazy. I wasn't expecting it to be great, but was still expecting more than that.

pably15 Wed 12-Aug-26 20:44:44

didn't see it either, it was quite cloudy.

ViceVersa Wed 12-Aug-26 20:32:18

Too cloudy here to see anything. Got a bit darker and cooler, but that was it.