Gransnet forums

Chat

Returning , or not, OP’s

(52 Posts)
Usedtobeblonde Mon 03-Aug-26 12:50:53

Does anyone else find it disappointing at least when someone asks an opinion, advice or help and then never comes back?
It is likely the some/many have posted a helpful, informative reply and the OP doesn’t acknowledge or thank people for taking the time to share, advise or just wish them well if they can’t help.

MaizieD Tue 04-Aug-26 10:35:02

I don't think the problem of posters continuing to give advice after the OP has come back and told us the problem has been resolved will ever be eliminated. I've seen posters happily say that they haven't read the whole thread and don't see why they should have to...

But the non returning OP is a bit frustrating.

Usedtobeblonde Tue 04-Aug-26 09:58:40

As the OP , I have replied once so I shall say again thank you all for responding to my opinion😉

NittWitt Tue 04-Aug-26 09:47:56

'I'm On' - a useful button to find threads you have posted on.
'Inbox' - orange button at top right of each page so you can PM someone if you want.

Two useful features that many on GN seem unaware of.

What we could do with, tho, and won't get is the feature MN has - to see all posts in a thread by the OP.
So you can see if they've updated, thanked people, whatever.

NittWitt Tue 04-Aug-26 09:37:56

Great comparison to a bus butterandjam.

Maremia Tue 04-Aug-26 09:27:54

Thanks kittylester, I can be very adept at finding Threads by going into Forums, and now may try what you suggest, but when on holiday, and using only the phone, I am hopeless.😔

MartavTaurus Tue 04-Aug-26 07:50:21

kittylester

Maremia

One reason could be that the Threads rise and fall, so when you return, it could be gone.
Interesting theory about the MODS.

Dead easy to find though by going on 'Im On'

😆 🤣 Dead easy!
This is getting very macabre!

MartavTaurus Tue 04-Aug-26 07:49:10

.... And there'd be quite a lot of sudden deaths, that opening a post on GN could be seen as a curse!

kittylester Tue 04-Aug-26 07:47:06

Maremia

One reason could be that the Threads rise and fall, so when you return, it could be gone.
Interesting theory about the MODS.

Dead easy to find though by going on 'Im On'

Kandinsky Tue 04-Aug-26 07:39:06

Maybe they're unable to make a return visit because of incapacity or even death?

What are the odds of someone dying between starting a thread & popping back a few hours later to say ‘thank you for your replies’
Jeez, I know we’re all getting on a bit, but still….

nanna8 Tue 04-Aug-26 07:37:54

Maybe they have gone to hospital, feel very ill or have something happening in their family or to a friend that requires their full attention ? I assume this may be the case unless it is one of those long involved posts which I would be wary of, anyway. I don’t think we should be judgemental.

Maremia Tue 04-Aug-26 07:36:36

One reason could be that the Threads rise and fall, so when you return, it could be gone.
Interesting theory about the MODS.

Calendargirl Tue 04-Aug-26 06:52:07

If I’ve asked for advice on something, I try and return to say ‘thanks for responses, this is what I did’ etc.

Often no one posts anymore then, but I feel I’ve ‘done my bit’.

tabbie Tue 04-Aug-26 01:19:21

Could it be that they weren't really wanting advice or answers because they'd already made up their minds?

Redhead56 Tue 04-Aug-26 01:04:12

I have responded to many distressing posts on here over the years. Other responders as myself have been really concerned about the situations discussed.
Quite a few times even though the OP has been asked to get back to us. There has been no response no thanks or nothing. Its disappointing that there was no acknowledgement of the support we have given.

Crumbly159 Tue 04-Aug-26 01:03:56

Usedtobeblonde

Does anyone else find it disappointing at least when someone asks an opinion, advice or help and then never comes back?
It is likely the some/many have posted a helpful, informative reply and the OP doesn’t acknowledge or thank people for taking the time to share, advise or just wish them well if they can’t help.

Maybe they're unable to make a return visit because of incapacity or even death?

Usedtobeblonde Tue 04-Aug-26 00:33:33

I think some of you are playing Devil’s Advocate now.
It takes very little time and effort to say, “thank you all for your replies”.

lovethepuppies Mon 03-Aug-26 23:03:30

I wonder if sometimes posters don't want to give more than they shared in the original post, just because too much can be identifying. Especially if someone else is involved.

It's good to get updates but I'm sure more than the person who posted benefits from advice given, then or later on.

Cossy Mon 03-Aug-26 21:23:04

MissAdventure

Sometimes when the poster thanks all, amd updates us, people still say
.. "Pack a bag, now!"
"Tell your mother in law blah blah..."
"Gently tell your fifty two year old son..."

So, I suppose some people lose the will to live to carry on with a thread they started, and issue they've since dealt with?

Haha I do agree though x

Plevey08 Mon 03-Aug-26 20:26:50

That's really good to hear that Gingerrice. A lovely post😊

kircubbin2000 Mon 03-Aug-26 19:14:12

It's partly the fault of the way the site works. I used to be on another forum where names on line were shown. This meant you could see who was posting and reply and chat. You got to know the posters and could also pm to follow up.

Gingerrice Mon 03-Aug-26 19:09:20

I understand the frustration when an OP disappears but don't underestimate the value of a thread to those reading who never post. I am often one of those but nevertheless have learned so much and taken much comfort from situations on Gransnet that I can empathise with.
All I can say is Thank you!.

Plevey08 Mon 03-Aug-26 19:04:40

Spot on Fallingstar

Fallingstar Mon 03-Aug-26 19:03:23

Sorry I did mess up that post before someone gets pedantic, am on the phone and not good at typing on it.😬

Fallingstar Mon 03-Aug-26 19:01:54

I really don’t know why an OP should be judged harshly on grammar or a choice of words, or if an OP states they feel a certain way about something others just dismiss it or worse still, mock their feelings if someone thinks an OP is a troll or bot it is best to report it and move on, not to double down on the OP
Who could be for real and going through a dreadful time.

Plevey08 Mon 03-Aug-26 18:56:17

I agree with Fallingstar and Marty/Taurus about the distraught OP. She felt distraught and that feeling belongs to her. Others really did pile it on, it was unpleasant. It forced her to back down from her feeling and change it. I felt it was bullying and they still continued despite her backing down. And they couldn't all have not read her retraction.