Gransnet forums

Chat

Who would you tell?

(73 Posts)
Doodledog Mon 27-Jul-26 22:12:59

I've just had an email from NS&I linking to an article about Premium Bond big prizewinners, and who they tell about their good fortune. Apparently 75% would tell their partner or spouse, 67% would tell immediate family, and 20% would tell friends.

What struck me was that 25% of people would hide a win of a million pounds from their partners/spouses. That seems like a lot to me. How do you hide a million from your nearest and dearest, and still get any joy from it?

I would definitely tell Mr Dog, as we share our money, and as I tell him most things. I would tell the children, as they would get a share - a third each, and a third for us is what happens when I consider the possibility when I check the app to see if I've won. I don't think I would tell friends, as I don't discuss money as a rule, and I wouldn't want to be the subject of gossip.

Would you keep it to yourself, or tell others if you won a very large prize?

Doodledog Wed 29-Jul-26 16:16:33

petra

lizzypopbottle

If you share a win with others they may be liable for tax unless it's a properly set up lottery syndicate. Worth investigating before you burden your children with HMRC...

Not if you live longer than 7 years after giving them the money.

And even then, only if your estate is worth more than a million, (which of course it would be if you'd won the big prize, and it is taken into account).

Does the liability for gifts diminish as you live on? As in, if you live for six years after giving a gift is there a difference from if you die the next day?

Kitty55 Wed 29-Jul-26 16:08:38

I would give it to my DC on the condition they bought me a new set of teeth

petra Wed 29-Jul-26 16:00:41

lizzypopbottle

If you share a win with others they may be liable for tax unless it's a properly set up lottery syndicate. Worth investigating before you burden your children with HMRC...

Not if you live longer than 7 years after giving them the money.

Newatthis Wed 29-Jul-26 15:53:40

I would give to immediate family and ask everyone else (assuming they found out) why they think they deserve any.

Missiseff Wed 29-Jul-26 15:37:32

Charleygirl5

I have no family. I would possibly tell a couple of friends, but I would keep it to myself until I had worked out how I was going to invest it.

Invest it?? Spend it!

LucyAnna5 Wed 29-Jul-26 15:29:38

nanna8

Family and financial advisor only but seeing as how we never buy lottery tickets it ain’t gonna happen. I’d give a lot of it to members of the family who are young and struggling. I feel so sorry for the youngsters today who can’t afford to buy a house. Awful governments we have had for the last 20 years and they are not improving - all words and no action.

“Awful governments” - here or where you are?

lizzypopbottle Wed 29-Jul-26 15:23:20

If you share a win with others they may be liable for tax unless it's a properly set up lottery syndicate. Worth investigating before you burden your children with HMRC...

AuntieE Wed 29-Jul-26 14:38:33

Certainly, while DH was alive, I would have told him.

Now, I would not tell anyone, as even a moderate sum would be likely to put one in the position of being asked for loans.

The one piece of sensible advice Polonius gave his son was "Neither a borrower nor a lender be,"

I would pay off a substantial bankloan I have, then consider how I would use the rest of the money.

Not that it is ever going to happen, but if it did,,,

Quizzer Wed 29-Jul-26 14:22:58

I would not tell Mr Quizzer as he is a real Scrooge. We are comfortably off but he will not spend a penny unless he feels it is necessary.

TerriBull Wed 29-Jul-26 14:18:35

I do hold premium bonds. I'd absolutely tell my husband, we have complete transparency about our finances. Depends on the win, any big ones I'd treat my family, including my step-daughter, a great sister to my boys and a good friend to me, in ways I'd feel would benefit them. I'd hold back some for grandchildren to use wisely, not to squander. I wouldn't move house, I'm content where we are, maybe spend small amountS generally upgrading. I'd returf the lawn for instance, it looks sad at the moment and there was room from improvement before the drought. Having just come back from a swish hotel in Devon, more of that! I'd probably get myself a new car, o/h has just bought a new one for himself a couple of months ago, but I don't go far in mine these days. I'd give more to some charities I subscribe to.

Isla71 Wed 29-Jul-26 14:13:48

I find myself in need of Pension Credits in my mid 70s even after working full time for nearly 60 years and entrusting former husband of 52 years with any money. He eventually walked out after taking legal advice to keep everything in his name but not divorce in order not to pay my share. I have no money to go for costs. I don't trust the legal profession now anyway.

67notout Wed 29-Jul-26 14:09:25

I would definitely be telling my family immediately but I think the live-in carer moving in would be a dead giveaway away. That’s what I would spend it on while I needed it. I wish.

Cabowich Wed 29-Jul-26 14:07:46

I think very close family only, and then I don't trust the other halves of said close family to not put pressure on.

I also think that no matter how generous you are at giving some of your lottery win away, there will always be somebody who doesn't think it is enough, or who wants a share of it themselves.

GrannyGravy13 has the right idea - DH and IFA.

Boadicea Wed 29-Jul-26 13:58:36

Of course winning a million ain't what it used to be!
In some areas of the country £500,000 for example would only buy you a pretty average house!

Jules777 Wed 29-Jul-26 13:57:45

A good number of us have no spouse or partner for a variety of reasons, myself included. I would tell my kids (adults now of course), but ask them to keep it from their father from whom I've been divorced for 30-odd years because even after all this time I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to get his hands on some of it if it was a particularly large sum. His justification would be the maintenance he paid to me and the children following the divorce. Depending on the amount, I might even choose to conceal it from my siblings and let them find out if they choose to at the time of my death.

Warbler Wed 29-Jul-26 13:56:25

I'd buy another old car (no more than £1,000 here) but with everything working on it, including the air con. (Yes, these things do exist at that price). I'd have a swimming pool dug out in the garden - gosh, that would get Mrs. Bouquet talking - with a wave machine in it and someone to come and clean it regularly. I'd get some new pants from M & S and I'd have my teeth cleaned. And that's about it.

Hil1910 Wed 29-Jul-26 13:47:12

Agent Million visits the home address of the £1m prize winners 48 hrs before the draw results are published to inform the winning bond holders of their life changing wins. It’s then upto the winning bond holders holders whether to go public or not. Most don’t to avoid receiving begging letters. Personally I would only tell my husband about my win so that we could decide how we were going to enjoy spending the win. Fingers crossed for September’s draw💰💰💰💰

sazz1 Wed 29-Jul-26 13:39:11

I'd fly to Paris, book into a nice hotel and ring OH to tell him, and to come and join me

ordinarygirl Wed 29-Jul-26 13:37:04

I dealt with a matter whereby people got substantial cheques of money at a meeting. Some never returned home and filed for divorce!

friendlygingercat Tue 28-Jul-26 12:59:53

There's only one member of my family I would tell if I won a life changing amount of money and would probably conceal exactly how much even from him. I would like to do "hidden" things like endowing a studentship at my old uni for someone bright from a less privileged background to do a degree. I would probably move to somewhere more suitable for my mobility needs but never spend it in obvious ways like flashy cars and an ostentatious lifestyle.

Oldnproud Tue 28-Jul-26 12:50:42

If I had answered a survey asking that question, I suspect I would have been one of the people saying that they wouldn't tell their spouse/ partner.
However, I known that in real life that would be unrealistic. It would be impossible to both enjoy it and hide it from my OH.

I can already hear some of you wondering why on earth I would even consider that option. Let's just say that it comes from long experience of his attitude to money.

Jane43 Tue 28-Jul-26 12:30:50

I can’t imagine hiding a big win from my DH, we have always shared everything and have joint accounts. My two sons, two daughters in law and three grandchildren would find out when they received monetary gifts which would be most of the win.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Jul-26 12:25:10

DH and our IFA.

The AC & GC would be treated as and when, along with a nice surprise when we are gone…

grandMattie Tue 28-Jul-26 11:58:23

I would tell no one, or very few -offspring and financial advisor.
Keeping some back, my plan would be to buy derelict properties and get youngsters apprenticed to bricklayers, sparks, plumber, sewing people, interior decorators, etc…. Do up the property, sell and start again somewhere else.
Would help if I bought a ticket occasionally!

JenniRen Tue 28-Jul-26 11:51:42

JenniferEccles

That’s a point *JenniRen’

Viv Nicholson would be proud of you!!

😁
Quite what I'd spend it on, I don't know.
Better start planning as it's not long until Saturday.