Heading about the earthquake in Venezuela certainly puts things into perspective.
This Israeli regime has to be stopped!
Are terrorist causes ever right?
How to deal with doom-y thoughts
I am.
I have also noticed some of the posts on GN threads are touchier.
Criticism about the low level of literacy evidenced by some of us has crept in. Shirty statements and replies are becoming more common.
I expect things will improve when the temperature drops.
Heading about the earthquake in Venezuela certainly puts things into perspective.
I feel lethargic and struggled to sleep at night.
A week before this heatwave, my DH started suffering from splitting headaches. He said the headaches were so painful as if he had a tumour in his head.
I managed to get him same day appointment with his GP. Cut a long story cut, his headaches were due to dehydration. He now has a small 500ml water tumbler by his bedside and thank god, no more headaches.
Oh, Ilovedragonflies - I think you win the award 🎖 for the most fun in the heat!!!
😤
Poor you.🐕💐
It's a good job he's such a beloved dog, and I'm glad he's on the mend, but 
On Friday night, my beloved dog silently opened a drawer and got hold of his collagen treats. He devoured the lot. It gave him rampant diarrhoea and overnight he deposited it in his bed and all over the lounge carpet. I was asleep and didn't hear a thing!
He had no control over his bowels at all until yesterday (when he went to the door and I wasn't quite quick enough down the stairs to get him out in time).
This morning he managed to hold it overnight and waited until I could get him out of the flat (we don't have an attached garden). Small mercies!
So I have spent this entire heatwave scrubbing carpets on my hands and knees, showering and scrubbing his bum (he's fluffy - yay!), and, since Monday, dosing him with dog specific kaolin as advised by my wonderful vet who I called on Sunday (closed, I wanted the emergency number) as his poop was a bit bloody. She personally called me back and told me to get the kaolin delivered from Amazon as it would be cheaper than she could provide it for. I ordered it immediately, and they delivered it the following morning, which was truly a godsend.
This morning was the first time he hadn't pooped overnight.
My flat still smells like an abattoir desite using several bottles of enzymatic cleaner specifically for animal 'accidents'.
In a bid to salvage them, I have purchased a carpet cleaner. I'm not even attempting to use it until this heat has gone and I'm certain he has proper control of his sphincter! I'll probably have to rip them out, if I'm honest with myself.
I really hate this kind of heat anyway as my flat becomes a kiln (too many windows, each sun-facing) and I become red-faced, sweaty and (mostly) silently crotchetty at the best of times.
Multiply that by a million and that's been my week.
I had to look up magnesium glycinate hoping to ask my doctor about it but it said not to take it if you have kidney issues.
I only have a problem with spelling and grammar errors when the post becomes unreadable and I can't figure out what is being said.
I don't mind the heat as i am lucky that i don't work anymore and i do sympathise with people who do but what winds me up are people that whinge about it but go abroad for their holidays
Haha just like you Bridey come to life in the lovely warmth
Winters and cold weather makes me sad and miserable
I wish it would cool down now so I could open the doors and windows and do a bit of watering. But it is still too hot. I would love a cool breeze.
The old and the cold😄😄🤣
Love love love this weather, feel more energised and happy, the old makes me bad tempered and grumpy!!
LisAn we get about two weeks summer a year and 99% of the year is cold wet and dreary Isn’t that enough for you ?
Why on earth do you begrudge people a few measly weeks a year
How do some women look effortlessly chic in this weather?
Tie your hair back and take a tip from Joan Collins:
A big hat, big sunglasses, bright lipstick
👒 😎 💋
grandMattie
I get much more lethargic in the heat. I really find temperatures of more than about 26C intolerable.
And, yes, I’m grumpier than normal because I loathe not being able to do things, sweat like the proverbial pig and turn into a panda with a scarlet, glowing face with white round my mouth and eyes…
26 degrees is about my limit, too. It makes me very uncomfortable and lethargic, especially as I have to double up on my very strong hay fever medication.
Sago
I’m not short tempered but my hair is a frizzy mess and there’s no point in wearing make up.
How do some women look effortlessly chic in this weather?
For the first time ever my normally quite straight hair has gone frizzy and uncontrollable. It's sticking out everywhere. My hairdresser came today and cut a couple of inches of too. I feel too tired to straighten it.
I am wearing a very cool dress and no makeup. I could not care less what I look like as I am not going out.
I am tired and perhaps a bit more bad tempered. It will pass.
Nell82 it could have been worse if you were doing the cutting! This is a joke btw and not a snide comment. I am also losing the will.. I’ve spent the afternoon sprawled on my bed with curtains closed and my face as close to the fan as possible.
Maybe I’m a bit grumpier, but definitely very lethargic and I don’t sleep as well. If I can get away with it, I do as little physical work as possible (I’m retired and therefore my own boss!) and quite a bit of reading in the garden goes on, especially in the late evening - a lovely time of day when there’s a breath of fresh air, with a bit of luck. I was still reading at almost midnight yesterday!
I haven’t got anyone to feel short tempered with!
However, if the forecasters are correct when saying that in 30 years time these temperatures will be a normal way of life.
If so I hope the Uk will become more like France and Spain where, wherever I have stayed I have always found an Open Air swimming pool. If not by the coast.
We had tree surgeons to remove a leylandii hedge this morning. Had to close the windows against the noise of stump grinding and wood chipping.
Now we've hit a new June record of 36º here and I'm losing the will to live!
Went for a few bits and pieces. The AC in the Co-op was perfect. People were loitering there, just to get cool 😂
And yes, this weather makes me very short tempered
Hopefully this hellish weather will end soon and not come back for the rest of this summer. I don’t have the luxury of sitting in front of a fan all day. By the time I finished work yesterday my clothes were wet and sticking to me. I dread tomorrow and Friday
Had to go out today for a podiatrist appt, then did a big shop as hadn't bothered until cupboards nearly bare! Even the shop's aircon dudn't seem to be cool enough. Get home, drenched in perspiration, unload car and collapse in front of the fan!! My biggest problem is keeping my Boxer dog cool, being short nosed this weather is very difficult for her. Cooling mats (if only she would stay on them!), fans on full blast and slices of cold water melon!!
AuntieE I m with you all the way, bring it on
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.