Gransnet forums

Chat

Knives on our streets.

(66 Posts)
Wazzam Tue 02-Jun-26 15:19:52

I personally feel strongly about this and cannot believe that people of a certain religion are allowed LEGALLY to carry knives (I know it was ceremonial, but still a knife) on the streets of Britain. I think this needs sorting ASAP.

missdeke Wed 03-Jun-26 16:47:48

If anybody's religion opposes our laws, they should obey our laws and not their religion. If they don't like it then they can choose to live somewhere where they are permitted to follow their strict religious dogma.

kittylester Wed 03-Jun-26 16:39:24

Basgetti one example of someone needing to carry a Swiss Army knife (or the like) would be DH going to help our disabled son with something. Our son doesn't own tools or implements as he would be unable to use them - therefore DH has to go 'equipped'.

4allweknow Wed 03-Jun-26 16:27:18

Many men wear a kilt for informal purposes eg football, rugby, highland games but no sgian dubh. The sgian dubh is generally reserved nowadays for very formal occasions eg weddings,parades, formal presentations and the item is not hidden, it is clearly on display low down on the body. The males in my family have the traditional item but did not even wear them at their own weddings. I was amazed at a passenger being allowed to take crochet hooks onto flight. I'd consider those could inflict a serious injury too.

Basgetti Wed 03-Jun-26 11:23:53

grumppa

Let me keep my Swiss Army Knife!

In your home or garden/shed, sure. I can think of no valid reason for anyone to carry one in public.

Maremia Wed 03-Jun-26 09:42:57

Thanks Fallingstar for that clarification.

Maremia Wed 03-Jun-26 09:41:39

What a scamp. grin

V3ra Wed 03-Jun-26 09:33:52

Macaydia

Could a man's strong muscular hands be banned too? What about an automobile <-- that is a lethal weapon too. What about an umbrella? Is that a weapon?

My aged mother-in-law once amused herself in a crowded beach bar in the South of France by "accidentally" tripping up the overly loud Hooray Henrys with her white stick.
"After all," she said innocently, "who's going to suspect the little old blind lady?"

My husband was horrified when he realised what she'd been doing 😂

PamelaJ1 Wed 03-Jun-26 09:05:51

nanna8
We bought a set of Japanese knives in Meyers in Miranda for our DD’s new house. Took them back into Sydney on the train.

Nannee49 Wed 03-Jun-26 08:52:13

When I worked in airport security in the early 90s chefs had to declare their, often very expensive, cooking knives before clearing security or risk immediate confiscation. In 2001, it was made illegal to carry any knife in hand luggage and all had to go in the hold.

Similarly IMO, all knives found carried openly on the streets today should be seized whether tools of the trade which could be weaponised or ceremonial.

Fallingstar Wed 03-Jun-26 08:32:44

To clear up an earlier point that several of you picked up on, when I said knife crime has become to the UK what gun crime is to the US, am not comparing crime rates here with the US, that would be bonkers, am pointing out that knife crime has become a scourge in our society as gun crime is in the US. Statistics are hugely different but knife crime is a worrying a problem for many in the UK and though figures may have fallen, here in London it is still fairly common practice for some children to take knives into school, not to attack others but for protection.
We may luckily never see a knife crime committed but for the younger generation I imagine chances are much higher.

Primrose53 Wed 03-Jun-26 08:17:39

Charity shops cannot even have knitting needles on display and that has been the case for easily 20 years when I was a volunteer.

Casdon Wed 03-Jun-26 08:08:18

It does seem a bit bonkers to ban crochet hooks on flights to me, I’ve been trying to think what somebody could do with a crochet hook that they couldn’t also do with a pen, and I’ve failed.

Greyduster Wed 03-Jun-26 08:07:55

I am of the generation that always had a penknife about their person. I also have a Swiss Army knife - an essential part of my fishing equipment in the past, it now has only enormous sentimental value. I wouldn’t dream of carrying it outside now. But, should a horse with a stone in its hoof wander into my living room requiring assistance, I know where to lay my hands on it immediately😁!

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jun-26 07:39:48

I alwaya thought anything that could be used against someone else was illegal?
Hence; pepper spray.
I hope people with feel free to carry it on them, now then.

nanna8 Wed 03-Jun-26 06:39:39

Yup- I used to knit on long haul flights but not allowed to now. They won’t even tolerate crochet hooks or embroidery needles or scissors . All because of some stupid Richard Craniums in the past.

Maremia Wed 03-Jun-26 06:32:31

Lots of sharp implements are banned on planes now.
Just in answer to some of the posts.

eazybee Wed 03-Jun-26 06:21:10

I do not go out carrying my kitchen knives with me on my person or my Stanley knife or 2cm blade for pencil sharpening and see no reason to do so. They are for use at home.
Why is it whenever there is a call for the banning of a dangerous article for fear of misuse the ubiquitous 'some people' immediately leap to its defence?
No reason why the sgian-dubh and the Sikh ceremonial knives cannot be replicas.

nanna8 Wed 03-Jun-26 06:19:06

You are not allowed to carry knives here though I always wonder how chefs cope if they want to go on a train. That argument saying knives are not dangerous, people are, also applies to guns of course, and machetes and more or less any weapon so by that argument, go for your life, don’t ban anything . But I wouldn’t come on a tourist visit !

nanna8 Wed 03-Jun-26 01:03:17

Why are they letting anyone carry a knife? It is discriminatory, can’t they see that ?

MissAdventure Tue 02-Jun-26 19:03:56

Something to bear in mind is that someone carries a knife, it could be taken from them and used on them, in the event of an incident or assault.

SueDonim Tue 02-Jun-26 19:01:00

Fair enough to keep a mix of ‘tools’ in a car, many of us have a kit in the car, but on the High Street?

MissAdventure Tue 02-Jun-26 18:56:34

I don't believe anyone should be carrying a knife in public.

Brahumbug Tue 02-Jun-26 18:50:05

Fallingstar

I agree that there should be zero tolerance of carrying any knives. These days knife crime is becoming what gun crime is to the US. It needs to be ‘no knives and no excuses’.

Knife crime is absolutely nothing like gun crime in the USA, in fact it's nowhere near as bad as knife crime in the USA.

Wazzam Tue 02-Jun-26 18:45:37

Oh sorry. In my 2nd post I meant to add at the end 'on the streets' Obviously @butterand jam I did not mean 'kitchen knives' as you state.
In my original post what I stated was my own personal opinion the same way that you and others have expressed your own personal opinions.
I am not saying anything about 'kitchen knives' to which you are insinuating. I will not go down that road.

Casdon Tue 02-Jun-26 18:39:27

I have a big Swiss Army knife in my glove box, and I do use it quite often, particularly when I’m out for the day or on holiday. It’s got a bottle opener, corkscrew, scissors, screwdriver, nail file and tweezers, as well as a couple of knives. I’ve had it about thirty years, I find it really useful, and I’ve never thought of it as an offensive weapon, although I guess it could be used as one.