Gransnet forums

Chat

Decluttering

(557 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 14-May-26 16:31:34

Anyone?
We had a nice little thread going, no rushing, just sharing, discussing, and encouraging each other. .
I've fallen out the loop, but still have a long way to go.

CarrotTop Tue 01-Sept-26 15:31:56

My bete noir is empty boxes. In the loft, in my study, in the garage... I even have big boxes which were empty but are now full of . . . smaller empty boxes. I'm a graduate of the "bound to come in handy one day" school of de-cluttering.

fancythat Tue 01-Sept-26 15:23:03

Great.

It is what I call A B C D E

You go to do E. Think D has to happen first. But C has to happen before that, all the way back to A.

MayBee70 Tue 01-Sept-26 13:56:47

I’ve found a fridge freezer that will fit in my tiny kitchen. This will be a game changer for me as I can move my Beko freezer into the garage ( it isn’t as good as my old Bosch) I can put the dogs crate where the tiny under counter fridge now lives and I can stop using the spillover mini fridge in the utility room. I can also do some batch cooking when I have my knee op.

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 21:29:14

I'm still not able to do much, not only with one arm, but doing it with my "good" arm plays my "bad" one up.
Still, I had an ugly little trolley thing in my kitchen, which broke, a few days ago, so I am throwing it away and not replacing it.
It only had carrier bags and crisps in it, anyway.

I've such a small kitchen, though, I will need to make space for the trolley contents.

karmalady Mon 31-Aug-26 06:15:23

A couple of plants are going today but I will save the special self-watering pots, the pots can go outside into my keter storage.

That will leave only my precious sansevieria plants, I have 80, I think, but they are in groups in pots, they only need watering once a month in summer and two monthly in winter. I love those plants and most are unusual varieties

One of the plants about to go is a type of palm, lives in my hall on a trolley, blocking the mirror. I can use the trolley for my outdoor shoes instead and clear a small space on the hall floor. That plant does not give me joy these days so bye bye

The other plant is a Christmas cactus and is dull for most of the year

I have more items in a pile, from my wardrobe, at least six so far and ready to go

Calendargirl Wed 26-Aug-26 06:38:18

Can I bear to part with my children’s old rocking horse though?

If the children and GC don’t want it, then yes, yes, yes!

MayBee70 Tue 25-Aug-26 21:21:40

When I awoke from Jason Stephenson get back to sleep on utube I found that it had gone onto a new thing which was Jason talking about decluttering. So I can now sleep, do mindfulness and get in the mood for decluttering all at the same time. I’m a bit stressed though as I always go away for four weeks in September and I hoped to have the house slightly more clutter free by then but I’ve now got to look after the grandchildren tomorrow and possible over the weekend. However I have found a place in the next village that sells old furniture etc and I may be able to offload some stuff onto them. Unless, of course, I go there and end up buying more stuff. It looks like a hoarders paradise. Can I bear to part with my children’s old rocking horse though?

fancythat Mon 24-Aug-26 14:06:06

One thing that is really hard is dealing with items, letters, cards etc of sentimental value. And no, I don’t want to scan and save them on my computer.

That was to be one of the first jobs I sorted.

Ha! I did half empty out 1 drawer.
But in reality, it is going to be the last job done.
If I end up doing it at all.

Cabbie21 Mon 24-Aug-26 14:00:11

I have had my study redecorated and a new carpet. I am in the process of putting stuff back, or rather sorting it first. It is so tedious. One day I had to empty the shredder three times. I fund any excuse to not get on with the job.

One thing that is really hard is dealing with items, letters, cards etc of sentimental value. And no, I don’t want to scan and save them on my computer.

PiscesLady Mon 24-Aug-26 13:03:30

I'm glad you are still around MissAdventure My memory has its moments!
We need a supervisor too!

There is a thread about the Big Red pop up - in Site Stuff "A New Annoying Popup". GNHQ are looking into it & have commented.

The heat got to me and very little decluttering here lately. Now that I am in the mood, other things need my attention. One day...

MissAdventure Sat 22-Aug-26 09:13:41

Lost half my post due to a big, red, flashing pop up ad about my phone being infected by a virus.
As long as it's only my phone I can live with that.

MissAdventure Sat 22-Aug-26 09:06:01

Thank you, PiscesLady.
You have a great memory.

Im back in a supervisory role (!) grin
Unless I'm told to do reaching, stretching and lifting, of course.
Reallý though, I've enough small things to work on, if I've a mind.

fancythat Thu 20-Aug-26 20:03:19

No. Keep anything useful.
And still buy a necessity.

I am doing well at the moment.
Helps that DH is nearly up to date with the diy jobs around the house.

I now have garage shelving. Great!
Has made a surprisable amount of difference out there.

I have had a cupboard made good.
Things can be moved around to put things back in it again.

I am still wading through things in the last bedroom.
Made some good progress. But a way to go on that one.

karmalady Wed 19-Aug-26 09:25:04

Backpeddling here, just trying to use up what I have rather than throw perfectly good disposables away, This is really a very slow process but suddenly the moment arrives when there is a space

Today I realised that I am down to my last two washes with my theraneem sensitive body wash, it is good stuff so I was never going to use it to clean my floors as I did with a shampoo

On friday I will be down to only using bar soap and I have plenty of good quality soaps, enough for years to come but heyho, reverse the decluttering situation, it was wise to have these stashes, it saves money and is better than money in the bank

I have my head screwed on and will never declutter anything that is usable, liked and was simply a bogoff

PiscesLady Tue 18-Aug-26 23:45:17

MissAdventure I remember you mentioned that you would be disappearing on the 19th. Whatever the reason, I just want to wish you all the best and hope it is not too long before you are back with us. You will be missed. 🌻

karmalady Mon 17-Aug-26 08:05:41

Ooh heck, I did keep buying bamboo toilet rolls at bogoff prices and there they were, all neatly stored under a bed. Oh well I won`t need any more for a good long time and de-cluttering them is going to be slow

I failed today and just bought another clothes airer for indoors, winter is coming and this one is tall when opened up. Hangon drying rack. Necessary is not clutter in my opinion

So my electric underblanket is in my car while I finally decide on its fate, either keep it or skip it. I need my sensible head on and keep thinking back to the very many years of using a hot water bottle, which did the job while allowing my inner core temperature to cool, so giving me better sleep. Anyway I can always put some hm woolen socks on too

I did similar very often when I started decluttering to move house in 2019. I used to fill a shopping trolley with the maybes, leave it for a few days and more often than not, I wheeled it intact to a charity shop where I emptied it to oohs and ahs from the helpful assistants

karmalady Sun 16-Aug-26 18:36:08

I have ordered a good hot water bottle with a cover and am going to get rid of my electric blanket which is in s big roll under the bed

There is more than one reason to get rid

Yay and there is a pair of beaten-up trainers going out, which means I can take a new pair out of my shoe stash, also under my bed

MissAdventure Sun 16-Aug-26 13:47:19

Well, as you can see, its a veritable hive of activity on this thread. smile

1summer Sun 16-Aug-26 12:11:47

fancythat

What was the reason she left everything so very late. If you dont mind me asking?

I really don’t know, I think the task had become too big and it was better for her to ignore it. Also I think she was hoping to take a lot more than she could take. She is a crafter and in a large bedroom had 3 units filled with about 70 storage boxes of craft stuff. She wanted to take it all but that alone would have filled the van.

fancythat Sun 16-Aug-26 11:35:02

What was the reason she left everything so very late. If you dont mind me asking?

1summer Sun 16-Aug-26 11:27:08

I have just had an exhausting month. My sister in law has just moved to live in Sweden with her 2 sons and families.
Her house was put on the market a year ago, after a couple of months sale fell through back on market and sold in January. Unfortunately in March she fell and broke her hip and thigh.
Her buyer then was pushing her to move out by end of July ( quite reasonably).
She had done absolutely no declutterring and I and a couple of her friends had to downsize her belongings to fit into a medium size van in 3 weeks. What a nightmare she had so much “stuff” we took about 30 bags/boxes of clothes, shoes, kitchen stuff etc etc to charity shops. I sold a lot of things, arranged for a scrap men to take away a lot of things. I left lots of things on her drive with a sign saying free - everything went. We filled a large skip aswell.
It was very hard for her as a lot of things had sentimental value and she was reminiscing all the time when she found things - we didn’t have time though.
We then had to pack up everything she was taking.
It taught me a big lesson, we keep a lot of stuff we don’t need use or want. So I am on a mission to sort a drawer, cupboard, wardrobe every week and try and declutter.

MissAdventure Sun 16-Aug-26 11:07:48

Oh, well done!!
How lovely that sounds, and the "no more shoving things into cupboards."

Its a huge strain to put youself under, when you're basically a clean, tidy person, to just put things out of sight, because it doesn't follow that they're out of mind.

You've done so well, and no doubt lifted a little unnecessary weight off your mind. I'm jealous!

karmalady Sun 16-Aug-26 10:19:13

I am packing in for the day, worked until 9.30 and thats enough, its sunday, my day of rest

Looking at my patio plants in pots and I was begrudging water for my figs, I am not liking figs anyway. 5 plants,. 2 were a few years old. They have gone to the tip just now and so have the pots they were in

Thats another load de-cluttered for my future. I`m amazed at how bits for de-cluttering pop up

I am enjoying the extra spaces all over my house, no shoving things into cupboards any more

MissAdventure Fri 14-Aug-26 21:12:27

2 bottles of Corsydil mouthwash gone out today.
I'm so angry with my boy.

Adrian cupboard was clean and tidy. I opened the door and he has cleaned his car but deliberately left cloths, bits of mini vacuum, etc, all over the floor, along with every spray cleaner known to man strewn all over the placè.

Wishes Fri 14-Aug-26 16:07:58

FranP My DDs clothes will fit DGD in a year or 2, so do I keep them?

Whilst on a 3 generation holiday this year, I commented on a very nice boho top my 18 year old GD wore. It turns out it was mine then passed on to my DD.

My GD has worn several items originally mine or her mothers, usually going out stuff.
Takes me down memory lane when I used to have a figure like hers smile