Gransnet forums

Chat

Decluttering

(558 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 14-May-26 16:31:34

Anyone?
We had a nice little thread going, no rushing, just sharing, discussing, and encouraging each other. .
I've fallen out the loop, but still have a long way to go.

HelterSkelter1 Sun 31-May-26 09:52:41

Very true V3ra.
Petra your post has taken me down memory lane. I worked with a lovely older lady when I was 24 and she had Hoover Keymatic washing machine. She died in her 90s and I ecpect thst machine was still working. It had a keyplate with grooves in it representing the programmes and you inserted the keyplate in different ways for the different settings. So simple.
I read up about it and it was groundbreaking and made in Wales.
I can even almost remember the advert.
"Hoover Keymatic is the name
Its automated and thats the same
As something something something
Washday? Just forget it"
Anyone remember that line? In 1961 they were first produced.

Back to my Bosch which is almost in its 3 rd decade and I think will be replaced by another Bosch. If it werent so old I would think of checking out a replacement motherboard. And look for an instruction video.

MissAdventure Sun 31-May-26 09:48:37

The robovac went in the bin, but i did decide i suddenly needed one, so have bought one on ebay.

The dreary coat is hanging back in the cupboard, for now blush

V3ra Sun 31-May-26 09:42:36

The younger generation don't share that feeling at all. I think because everything is so easily obtained. If you need something there's eBay for 2nd hand and Amazon for new. And then if you dont need it you sell on. Not store just in case like I do.

Or if they're our family members, their "might need one day" stuff ends up being stored in our garage 🙄

petra Sun 31-May-26 08:26:11

HelterSkelter1

Thanks Petra. I replaced the brushes in the motor 5 or so years ago. Very pleased with myself it took me 2 days to do it. I followed a youtube how to video. Excellent

This is nothing stuck in the pump outlet as sometimes it does drain and spin and sometimes doesnt. It is the age and the programme mechanism as it skips various functions. So finished too early IYSWIM it is as the end of its days. Sometimes it has a good day and works and sometimes not which is when I use my trusty spin dryer.

But I agree with what you are saying. Lots of mechanical things are quite easy to repair. As well as a normal Phillips screwdriver I also needed a torque screwdriver which luckily a neighbour had. It was very satisfying, but time consuming to do it. I did need a hand to put the belt round the drum again which DH helped with. As it was a bit like putting the chain back on a bike.

Ah, it sounds like the Motherboard. Those can be replaced. You can buy one online.
But to be honest you might have a problem with the age of your machine.
But it’s worth a search on eBay. That where we got our replacement and Mr P wired it in.
It’s fitted under the lid of the machine.

Calendargirl Sun 31-May-26 08:08:26

HelterSkelter

We have a ‘Give For Free’ on our local FB page.

I had a single bed, it was my mum’s, then it was used when GD had sleepovers.

Not needed now, as older and doesn’t stay over.

I advertised it on this page, thinking no one will want a second hand bed, even though it was VGC with headboard, mattress, drawers beneath.

But a lady came and collected it, for her GC when they stayed over, delighted that the drawers would hold their toys.

I gave her the mattress protector and duvet also, which she was pleased to accept, thrilled that it was going to a good home where it would be used.

So worth trying to pass on, and when you see the empty space…..smile

HelterSkelter1 Sun 31-May-26 07:53:04

I left a pair of large sized men's wellingtons good quality at the front of the house yesterday and they had gone in an hour despite the very warm sunny weather.

I have a king sized pine headboard. Would that go I wonder...if I can get it down the stairs! And a large wooden chair. Maybe I will try the chair first. The headboard was passed on to me. But our beds are double not king so it was always too big. Should have gone a long long time ago. No wonder I am overwhelmed by furniture. But it is so deeply entrenched that things might be useful one day.
The younger generation don't share that feeling at all. I think because everything is so easily obtained. If you need something there's eBay for 2nd hand and Amazon for new. And then if you dont need it you sell on. Not store just in case like I do.

It does weigh me down. I must "lighten up"!!

Calendargirl Sun 31-May-26 07:39:41

I took four summer tops, two little going-out handbags, a few paperbacks, a tankini, to two local charity shops.

Have another bag ready to take to another CS, two board games and two large handbags, plus a big bag of ‘clean’ rags, which fortunately they still take, although I know they are worth very little.

And I plan to donate some decent books to our library. Just need to check which are most likely to be needed.

One thing I do notice is how good condition books are in the charity shops, they obviously only put decent ones out. (And why not?)

V3ra Sun 31-May-26 00:55:37

I've had the robot vac on charge, and its still flashing red, so i think it's had its day.

MissAdventure as you said it's been a while since you've used it, there might be a problem with the internet connection for it.
I hadn't used my robovac for ages, then tried to charge it up but it wouldn't do so.
I realised we'd had a change of internet suppliers in the meantime and I would need to connect it again.

(In the end I just gave it away).

Silvershadow Sat 30-May-26 21:05:59

I’m always decluttering. I’ve given lots away on the NextDoor website and Freecycle. Also given all sorts of things to our local hospice shop. I’ve used eBay to sell things very successfully but have yet to try Vinted. My friend does use it and is happy with it.

Next stop for me is photos. We seem to have thousands, it’ll take forever but I must do it.
.

MissAdventure Sat 30-May-26 18:51:01

Just had a look on youtube and there are plenty of videos explaining how to sell, step by step, so if you were feeling brave you could download the Vinted app onto your phone amd give it a whirl.

I think a person with you to talk you through it would probably be better though.

MayBee70 Sat 30-May-26 18:08:02

I’d need someone tech savvy to show me how to do it.

MissAdventure Sat 30-May-26 15:57:43

Would you consider putting your dresses on Vinted?
I used to put bits and bobs on ebay, but while some people are over the mòon witj what they buy, others want you to answer 100 questions about something you're sellng for £2.

MayBee70 Sat 30-May-26 15:18:32

Very late the other night when I had far more important things to do I went through my spare wardrobe, the one in which I keep dresses that I’ve worn for wedding and never wear again. Ended up trying on lots of them ( I haven’t been to a wedding for nine years and am now back to the weight I was for both my sons and daughters weddings). The intention was to charity shop some but they are so lovely. Even though I used to live in jeans, then leggings and now live in pyjamas I used to buy some beautiful clothes. I’ve got one dress that’s very 1950’s and I even found a 1950’s hat to go with it; neither have been worn. So many memories with some of the clothes there. And probably out of fashion so nobody would pay for them. I think I’ll just have to organise them and have a think. My partners taking our dog back to his house first a few days so I’m going to make a huge effort to get lots done.

MissAdventure Sat 30-May-26 14:21:34

I've had the robot vac on charge, and its still flashing red, so i think it's had its day.
I tried on the dull black coat and thought it at least looks smart and is water resistant.
I still think it needs to go, though.

MayBee70 Sat 30-May-26 13:59:58

Well, the machine was ok with nothing in it so today’s I’ll put some washing in. Calendar girl; you’re absolutely right eg I have got an unused spiralizer in the cupboard! I use very little washing powder, nowhere near the amount they recommend, so a box lasts for ages and the utility room gets a bit damp with the tumble dryer being in there. I’ve always decanted the powder into old Coffee Mate containers ( the new ones are no good as they seem to be made of cardboard). The old ones I use to store no end of things eg dishwasher tablets. But using those blue measuring cups means that powder doesn’t go directly into the detergent dispenser in the machine and it then floats around the cupboard. And I get peanuts everywhere when I put them in the feeder; I do use a measuring jug. When I’m at my partners I go to places like Home Bargains and BM Bargains and, yes, I do get carried away with buying things, in fact I’ve told him not to drive me there! And I must admit that, even though I’ve decanted the powder into my new container I’ve still kept the old coffee mate containers because they don’t make them any more blush. I am beyond help really! My new garden hoses arrived today and I must make myself throw the old leaky one away although it is good for filling up the large container that I use to store water for the plant pots.

HelterSkelter1 Sat 30-May-26 11:19:42

Thanks Petra. I replaced the brushes in the motor 5 or so years ago. Very pleased with myself it took me 2 days to do it. I followed a youtube how to video. Excellent

This is nothing stuck in the pump outlet as sometimes it does drain and spin and sometimes doesnt. It is the age and the programme mechanism as it skips various functions. So finished too early IYSWIM it is as the end of its days. Sometimes it has a good day and works and sometimes not which is when I use my trusty spin dryer.

But I agree with what you are saying. Lots of mechanical things are quite easy to repair. As well as a normal Phillips screwdriver I also needed a torque screwdriver which luckily a neighbour had. It was very satisfying, but time consuming to do it. I did need a hand to put the belt round the drum again which DH helped with. As it was a bit like putting the chain back on a bike.

MissAdventure Sat 30-May-26 10:18:42

I've opened up Brian, and the hooks have stayed up, with more 'No more nails'.
I've also unearthed my robovac, which I've been accusing my boy of throwing out blush
I'm going to charge up the vac, and see if its still working.
I did have yet another box full of spare brushes and things, but have yet to come across that.

There's a coat in there which i don't like, and have never liked.

Its just black, and dull, and too small. Of course it might do someone a turn, but i think its next on my in the bin items.

petra Sat 30-May-26 08:41:28

HelterSkelter
Many years ago I worked for Hoover.
The usual reason a machine isn’t pumping out is because there is something in the pump.
It’s very simple to fix, I’ve done it myself.
If you can get the machine out unplug and remove the back panel.
There’s not much to see. A drum, a huge weight to keep the machine stable and a pump. The pump is simple to remove, it’s only screws. You can see if there is something in there.
In my case, a bra wire. 😂

HelterSkelter1 Sat 30-May-26 08:20:47

I have a very elderly 28 years old Bosch wash machine which is really coming to the end of its life and needs much encouragement every time I use it. I also have an English Electric spin dryer bought in the last 3 years when Bosch machine sometimes refused to drain and spin.
For all sorts of reasons I havent got round to buying a new machine.

I love love love my spin dryer. Used to have one when the DDs were babies in those nappy days when I didnt have a washing machine at all. That one died a death after much use.

We have no local laundrette any more so I take heavy stuff and duvets every so often to another village where they have a rather expensive but very good serviced laundrette...you can't use the machines at all it is all done by staff. But the staff are lovely and it's great to pick up a bag of dried and folded stuff.

The business has been there for years and I hope it continues. But it is pricey.

I decluttered a wicker magazine rack and left it by the front of the house... and it went in 10 minutes.

I am going to put a box of dyson brushes, which only fit my very old dyson which gave up the ghost last year, by the front gate today and see how long they take to go.

I say front gate but I actually havent got one. The front "garden" is gravelled for car standing as we have no on street parking and too efficient parking wardens. So I put stuff where a front gate would be.

I also have a very large pair of man's wellies. Not DHs. They could go but perhaps not the weather for them yet.

I was going to put a shabby garden table out, but decided to give it a good scrub and use a tablecloth to cover the large crack.

I was very pleased to see my mothers tea set I gave to the BHF priced well in their window this week. If it sells I have more to go. DD2 is really a bit too busy to take stuff to her charity shop for me.

So, even though it has been so hot, having to stay indoors has encouraged me to crack on sorting.

loopyloo Sat 30-May-26 07:58:33

Dear Maybee, how did the washing machine react? I have a nasty suspicion that you need a repair person.
Yesterday we cleared out a very old music system. A Technics.
I have the idea that I could have sold it on Ebay for £300 or so. But couldn't face the hassle.
What I realise is our clutter is the relics of our earlier lives.
Things like lolly pop makers for the grandkids and plaster cast moulds
They're at Uni now.

Calendargirl Sat 30-May-26 07:41:14

I don’t want to rain on your parade MayBee, but buying extra ‘stuff’ like you just have is probably one of the reasons you still have so much ‘stuff’.

I still use soap powder, but have a plastic sort of measuring cup which was in one of the boxes years ago.

Or if you have plant feed such as MiracleGo, they have little plastic spoons that you could use for soap powder.

Saves acquiring more ‘stuff’.

MayBee70 Fri 29-May-26 23:31:08

I bought some of these from Dunelm Mill last week. The sort of thing I get really excited about. Because I still use soap powder I never know how to get the powder into the soap dispenser without getting it everywhere. I thought I’d get some to keep bird seed and peanuts in as well as I can then just pour it into the bird feeder. The possibilities are endless.

MayBee70 Fri 29-May-26 23:12:01

I’ve just put it on with nothing in! I’m always so careful to balance heavy items too. And thought acrylic things didn’t hold much water. I must be the only person in the world that still owns and uses a spin dryer. I feel sorry for the wood lice in the porch. They get under the cupboard that I use to sit on so I can take my shoes off. I don’t understand how a creature that has existed on this planet since the beginning of time so successfully seems to be so suicidal. I always feel sorry for them if I lift a plant pot and they all scatter; I think I must have split up several generations of one family as they scatter in all directions. I’m just going to have a little chat with my washer. It’s a cunning plan but it might just work. It’s a Bosch so do I need to speak in German…I failed my German O level miserably. When I did the oral exam the examiner felt so sorry for me she asked me the questions and then answered them herself.

valdali Fri 29-May-26 22:37:55

Maybe be brave, give the machine an easy load to wash, I expect it'll be fine. You did the right thing stopping it straightaway & taking everything out.
I always talk to my washing machine in these situations & tell it how much I need it & "you can do it" but I do know it doesn't make any difference - it is the only machine I talk to although I curse my laptop sometimes.
I have a spidery porch too - it has shoe cupboards but DH won't use them for that reason, his shoes pile up in the hall.
At a standstill with decluttering as I suddenly had the urge to paint hall, stairs landing & that took a while. At least you get to the end with decorating though.

MayBee70 Fri 29-May-26 18:53:20

I had a disaster last night. Looked after the grandchildren and fell asleep on the sofa when I got home. Waking up several hours later decided to wash a fleece sofa throw as the dog was at my partners which always gives me a chance to wash any doggy smelling sofa stuff. Now, I’ve washed many throws and thought I’d washed this one before but part way through the wash a horrible banging noise came from the machine. The throw was too heavy once wet. Turned it off. Had to drain it. Removed the throw and a duvet cover and then had to find a way of drying them. Thankfully have a separate spin dryer as back up for any times that I’m without a machine. Still haven’t tried using the machine again but worried that I’ve damaged it. If it needs replacing the garage is too

full of junk to get a new machine into the utility room and the old one out. Spent today cleaning the porch which leaks ( leak goes through asbestos, too) and is always full of spiders and dead wood lice. The container where I keep my walking sticks and poles had two inches of water in the bottom so the leak is getting worse. My house has been cluttered for years but always clean. Now it isn’t clean either which is bad.