I understand that some people find gollywogs racist.That's why my kids didn't have them. That's why DD3 doesn't even know what one is. If she saw one, I don't even know what her reaction would be but she doesn't seem to think differences in skin colour are terribly important. Is it racist to encourage colour-blindness in this respect or not?
I like noticing the differences in features and skin colour of people. To me it's the same as noticing differences in regional accents. You then get the fun of trying to guess, in the latter case where the person grew up, or in the former case, where their ancestors grew up. It is purely observational. I was not being negative about the features I described. What is there to be negative about? There is nothing negative about the greater contrast between the whites of eyes (or teeth) against a dark skin. There is nothing negative about observing that one of the features loosely called 'negroid' in the past (possibly still) is thicker lips than, say, most Europeans have. There are sound evolutionary reasons for common differences in human features in different parts of the world. I don't think it's wrong, in principle, to caricature these differences nor to talk about them. We talk about differences between ancient European groups of people (Latin, Nordic/Germanic, Celtic, etc) and nobody minds.
As somebody said, intent is what counts.
I intended that my kids would grow up non-racist. It's OK to notice differences in how people look. That doesn't mean you treat them differently.
Last three letters contd. November 2015
Alphabetical Fauna (mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects etc.)


(end the thread)