There used to be Blind Veterans UK, am sure I had seen that?
I don’t begrudge my poppy donation and happily wear my red poppy.
The Remembrance service and parade is so moving, and so few left now that served in the last war.
There’s no glamour it’s all about Lest We Forget.
Gransnet forums
Charities
British Legion
(96 Posts)I don’t think I’ll bother buying a poppy this year. I’ve just seen part of the salary bill for employees. I averaged out the salaries at the midway point so it isn’t completely accurate. But even so the employees earning £60,000+ alone mean they are earning £4,675,000 between them.
The Royal British Legion has several employees earning over £60,000 annually:
- **£60k to £70k**: 32 employees
- **£70k to £80k**: 11 employees
- **£80k to £90k**: 11 employees
- **£90k to £100k**: 2 employees
- **£100k to £110k**: 1 employee
- **£110k to £120k**: 2 employees
- **£120k to £130k**: 2 employees
- **£130k to £140k**: 1 employee
- **£150k to £200k**: 1 employee[3].
Citations:
[1] Royal British Legion Pay Rate 2024 - Breakroom www.breakroom.cc/en-gb/employers/royal-british-legion/pay
[2] Royal British Legion | Know Before You Apply - Breakroom www.breakroom.cc/en-gb/employers/royal-british-legion
[3] About the register of charities - prd-ds-register-of-charities.charitycommission.gov.uk register-of-charities.charitycommission.gov.uk/en/about-the-register-of-charities/-/charity-details/219279
[4] Membership FAQs| Charity Membership | Royal British Legion www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/things-to-do/membership/membership-faqs
[5] Royal British Legion - Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_British_Legion
[6] The Royal British Legion Jobs | CharityJob www.charityjob.co.uk/organisation/the-royal-british-legion
[7] Credit their Service|Poppyscotland www.poppyscotland.org.uk/about-us/campaigns-advocacy-policy/credit-their-service
[8] People and Legal | Our Roles | Royal British Legion www.britishlegion.org.uk/quick-links/careers/our-roles/people-and-legal
Jaxjacky
SandyMM
I am more concerned about a charity who call themselves "Royal British Legion Industries" with logo that strongly resembles the Royal British Legion - and yet is a separate organisation altogether who welcome donations, claiming to support veterans in finding homes and employment. They claim to be a charity but I question why their nursing and residential homes (in Kent) are open to anyone at all, including people with NO connection whatsoever to war veterans. Who exactly is benefitting from these donations?
They are referenced by the RBL who approve.
It sounds odd, though, using the name of the Royal British Legion when it is a separate organisation.
Presumably it has approval to use the 'Royal' prefix.
However, it is a long established charity (1919) set up to provide work and homes for returning servicemen.
On the question of US veterans, we had US Air Force friends in Norfolk who, like many of their compatriot retirees, had chosen to settle in the area around their former bases. As such, they still had full access to the base for facilities such as social, medical and use of the commissary for the foods they were used to and other shopping, at commissary prices. We, of course, don’t afford those same facilities to our veterans, but I doubt many other nations do either.
SandyMM
I am more concerned about a charity who call themselves "Royal British Legion Industries" with logo that strongly resembles the Royal British Legion - and yet is a separate organisation altogether who welcome donations, claiming to support veterans in finding homes and employment. They claim to be a charity but I question why their nursing and residential homes (in Kent) are open to anyone at all, including people with NO connection whatsoever to war veterans. Who exactly is benefitting from these donations?
They are referenced by the RBL who approve.
I am more concerned about a charity who call themselves "Royal British Legion Industries" with logo that strongly resembles the Royal British Legion - and yet is a separate organisation altogether who welcome donations, claiming to support veterans in finding homes and employment. They claim to be a charity but I question why their nursing and residential homes (in Kent) are open to anyone at all, including people with NO connection whatsoever to war veterans. Who exactly is benefitting from these donations?
Freya5
winterwhite
I too support the Peace Pledge Union. Any funds raised by the sale of white poppies goes towards supporting peace education, but it isn't primarily a money-raising exercise and the sums are small because the numbers sold are small. The intention is to allow people to join in the remembering, without the perceived glamour of military parade. No harm in that.
I agree about gay poppies.There is no "glamour" as you so put it, in a military parade, only remembering as you March those that may have been otherwise marching with you, who have been killed or maimed in politicians wars, who fought to preserve our way of life from Nazism, and terrorism.
Well said, Freya5
Seeing those old people, most in wheelchairs, tears in their eyes remembering their old comrades who did not come back. Watching people laying wreaths and crosses; they are marching for fallen comrades and remembering them .
The prayers are for peace, an end to conflict and a better world.
winterwhite
I too support the Peace Pledge Union. Any funds raised by the sale of white poppies goes towards supporting peace education, but it isn't primarily a money-raising exercise and the sums are small because the numbers sold are small. The intention is to allow people to join in the remembering, without the perceived glamour of military parade. No harm in that.
I agree about gay poppies.
There is no "glamour" as you so put it, in a military parade, only remembering as you March those that may have been otherwise marching with you, who have been killed or maimed in politicians wars, who fought to preserve our way of life from Nazism, and terrorism.
Allira
Norah
Grantanow
RBL, Help the Heroes and other charities do good work but I think the USA is far more advanced in caring for ex-military people than the UK. Why do we not have a government funded organisation like the Veterans' Administration?
I think we do have organisations like Veterans' Administration - just on a much smaller scale. I'm not aware of anyone in the UK donating 100 million for veterans as Craig Newmark. Different military support.
Veterans UK
Veterans Welfare Service (VWS)
Army Operational Legacy Branch
Defence Privilege Card
Budgeting Loans
The Government also supports SSAFA financially
There are, of course, War pensions and lump sums too for those affected in service.
I'm not sure what the USA does though, so can't compare.
I read an interesting piece regarding Craig Newmark 100m donation to USA Veteran Charity - I'd never read similar here.
Perhaps some do donate generously here as well?
Allira
Norah
Grantanow
RBL, Help the Heroes and other charities do good work but I think the USA is far more advanced in caring for ex-military people than the UK. Why do we not have a government funded organisation like the Veterans' Administration?
I think we do have organisations like Veterans' Administration - just on a much smaller scale. I'm not aware of anyone in the UK donating 100 million for veterans as Craig Newmark. Different military support.
Veterans UK
Veterans Welfare Service (VWS)
Army Operational Legacy Branch
Defence Privilege Card
Budgeting Loans
The Government also supports SSAFA financially
There are, of course, War pensions and lump sums too for those affected in service.
I'm not sure what the USA does though, so can't compare.
Just a quick glance, Grantanow and it looks as if the UK does just as much to help veterans as the USA does.
And, of course, we have the NHS here too.
Norah
Grantanow
RBL, Help the Heroes and other charities do good work but I think the USA is far more advanced in caring for ex-military people than the UK. Why do we not have a government funded organisation like the Veterans' Administration?
I think we do have organisations like Veterans' Administration - just on a much smaller scale. I'm not aware of anyone in the UK donating 100 million for veterans as Craig Newmark. Different military support.
Veterans UK
Veterans Welfare Service (VWS)
Army Operational Legacy Branch
Defence Privilege Card
Budgeting Loans
The Government also supports SSAFA financially
There are, of course, War pensions and lump sums too for those affected in service.
I'm not sure what the USA does though, so can't compare.
Grantanow
RBL, Help the Heroes and other charities do good work but I think the USA is far more advanced in caring for ex-military people than the UK. Why do we not have a government funded organisation like the Veterans' Administration?
I think we do have organisations like Veterans' Administration - just on a much smaller scale. I'm not aware of anyone in the UK donating 100 million for veterans as Craig Newmark. Different military support.
Nano14
Every penny from poppy donations is ring fenced for welfare use only. Wages, administration, etc are funded by membership fees, and other sources.
Running a large charity is a huge responsibility.
The salaries you quote are not excessive, staff are chosen for their ability, experience etc and need to earn a living. Highly paid, skilful CEOs, for example, can bring in more money for their charities. The old adage, 'If you pay peanuts you get monkeys' springs to mind.
Most charity workers could earn more for the same skills in big business.
Yes, I posted that earlier, having had verification that that is the case.
The quoted post got lost somewhere, I was agreeing with this in Nano14's post:
Every penny from poppy donations is ring fenced for welfare use only. Wages, administration, etc are funded by membership fees, and other sources.
Yes, I posted that earlier, having had verification that that is the case.
So much misinformation is posted on social media and people waste time and energy getting incensed about untruths.
Yes, Grantanow the Government does help veterans.
For those who prefer to give to Help for Heroes rather than the Royal British Legion, be aware that they work in partnership with the RBL and the Government.
I know you have to pay for the right staff. For charities I think there should be a pay ceiling across the board and hopefully they raise lots if money for theur causes.
I seem to remember a big who-ha a few years ago when they sold off property they owned that housed veterans
Greyduster
Service personnel were stopped from wearing uniform in public places at around the time of the Irish terrorist activities. You certainly could up until the late sixties; I can vouch for that, but when DH was posted to Ireland in 1972 he couldn’t even travel in his car in uniform - had to change at work. When we came home to England, no-one was allowed to wear it in public for security reasons. It made you a possible target, even here. I think this applied to all three services.
You are totally correct, and the directive is still in place.
I too support the Peace Pledge Union. Any funds raised by the sale of white poppies goes towards supporting peace education, but it isn't primarily a money-raising exercise and the sums are small because the numbers sold are small. The intention is to allow people to join in the remembering, without the perceived glamour of military parade. No harm in that.
I agree about gay poppies.
Service personnel were stopped from wearing uniform in public places at around the time of the Irish terrorist activities. You certainly could up until the late sixties; I can vouch for that, but when DH was posted to Ireland in 1972 he couldn’t even travel in his car in uniform - had to change at work. When we came home to England, no-one was allowed to wear it in public for security reasons. It made you a possible target, even here. I think this applied to all three services.
Why do we not have a government funded organisation like the Veterans' Administration?
We do. Veterans UK is a government funded organisation that provides free support for veterans and their families, including a helpline, Veterans Welfare Service, Defence Transition Services and injury/bereavement, pensions entitlements, housing and more.
Grantanow
RBL, Help the Heroes and other charities do good work but I think the USA is far more advanced in caring for ex-military people than the UK. Why do we not have a government funded organisation like the Veterans' Administration?
The other thing that gets me hot under the collar is that in the USA service personnel of in their uniform (off duty) are more often than not offered free travel, upgrades on flights, people pick up their tabs in bars and restaurants etc.
In the U.K. service personnel are ordered not to wear their uniforms other than in their bases/offices, definitely not when travelling unless on military transport. They have to get permission to wear it for a wedding, funeral etc.
RBL, Help the Heroes and other charities do good work but I think the USA is far more advanced in caring for ex-military people than the UK. Why do we not have a government funded organisation like the Veterans' Administration?
I agree with Nano14 this isn’t a kitchen table charity it deals with £’s millions.
Those at the top have the responsibility of ensuring everything is above board, procuring and organising products, development and design.
I have purchased my poppy as per normal, along with my Christmas cards from them this year.
Watched the Festival of Remembrance Concert last night also the Cenotaph ceremony this morning.
We must never forget 🌺
Every penny from poppy donations is ring fenced for welfare use only. Wages, administration, etc are funded by membership fees, and other sources.
Running a large charity is a huge responsibility.
The salaries you quote are not excessive, staff are chosen for their ability, experience etc and need to earn a living. Highly paid, skilful CEOs, for example, can bring in more money for their charities. The old adage, 'If you pay peanuts you get monkeys' springs to mind.
Most charity workers could earn more for the same skills in big business.
I hope this thread doesn’t put people off donating to other charities. DD works for a small/medium sized charity and earns half what her cousin earns for the same job in the private sector. She’s basically earning the same as she was earning 12 years ago in the private sector and with no perks. They all work there because they want to feel they are helping people and what they do is important. DD even takes part in fundraising activities for the charity.
Paperbackwriter
I wear a white poppy for peace. Something much needed now. You can get them from the Peace Pledge Union. I'm not contributing to an organisation that's paying out to Stonewall.
I 💯 agree. Giving my tenner to “help for heroes” plus some money to a homeless ex-soldier, who never begs, but sits all day under the trees in the park- I’ve seen people giving him hot meals & drinks.
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »
