Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Newly widowed

(108 Posts)
HelterSkelter1 Tue 18-Aug-26 07:07:56

My dear DH died 6 days ago after a long illness. I know from reading these threads over the past 2 years that I have a long journey ahead.

His death was not unexpected, but was still a great shock. He died at home so my feet take me into his room and I expect to see him there.

He was so unwell and the last days in pain so for him it was a release and for us a relief. So final and so hard.

fancyflowers Wed 02-Sept-26 10:43:01

Sending love to you, this must be very hard. flowers

Stumpie1 Wed 02-Sept-26 08:43:58

Heartbreaking post ❤️

SuzieHi Mon 31-Aug-26 21:27:11

💐sending best wishes to you. Accept help offered and lean on family and good friends for support

Mystyeyes11 Mon 31-Aug-26 19:50:46

My heartfelt condolences HelterSkelter when you love deep you also grieve deep. Allow every tear to come my tears are still flowing plentifully, i see my tears as kisses for my DH. Be kind to yourself there is no time limit to grief.

Indiebee Mon 24-Aug-26 08:19:33

So glad you are both in touch. And also that you will ring MarieCurie. Macmillan is another option. The hospice where DH died provided bereavement counselling for me and it really helped to be able to pour out sadness and questions.

Eating and sleeping are hard. Follow whichever solutions suit you best. There is no right way and we are all so different. Thinking of you.

HelterSkelter1 Mon 24-Aug-26 03:26:05

Thank you Indiebee. Barleysugar and I are in touch now. She lost her husband a few days before I did. So we are both at the very raw stage.
All the posts on this thread have been very kind and very comforting.

Apart from crying once with my DD I don't seem able to cry although I am so sad. I just read on the Mariecurie site that this numbness is very normal which was consoling. And I am not a crying person anyway.
I am going to ring MarieCurie when they open their helpline this morning.
I expect this 3.00 am cup of tea and honey sandwich is normal too.

Indiebee Sun 23-Aug-26 18:55:22

Dear Helterskelter and Barleysugar, I am so sorry. Been there too, 17 years ago. It never goes away but the beginning is especially terrible. Hope you can eat, sleep, maybe have counselling, and above all turn to your friends and family and ask for help when you need it. Thinking of you and all here who have lost our beloveds.

Wyllow3 Sat 22-Aug-26 22:07:38

I'm so very, very sorry to read this. Take care - and so many people here who understand xx flowers

Annie71 Sat 22-Aug-26 21:36:44

Thinking of you, take care of yourself.

Rocketstop2 Thu 20-Aug-26 19:23:40

So sorry to hear this,It will be very raw for you just now.

nanny2507 Thu 20-Aug-26 19:03:15

Sending love. Be kind to yourself xx

mokryna Thu 20-Aug-26 16:59:08

flowers I am so sorry for your loss.

Oldbat1 Thu 20-Aug-26 16:52:01

Sending you flowers condolences. It is a path we dont want to tread. My DH died last Oct after a very long cancer journey.

aonk Thu 20-Aug-26 16:43:07

I was widowed at the age of 40. One thing I did learn is that it takes courage to ask for help and that may well be what you need to do. Hopefully your GP can help if you can’t sleep or feel very anxious. There are organisations which advise and help bereaved people in many ways. On line groups such as Gransnet can be reassuring as you read of others who are in a similar position. Friends and relatives may wish to help but don’t know how so you need to tell them. In my town there are groups run by the hospice and also one of the undertakers where you can talk about your feelings. You can search on line for counselling services or ask at the Gp practice.
Just a few ideas.
You’ll have good and bad days. Good days show you that it’s possible to cope. Bad days will soon be outnumbered by them.

sharon103 Thu 20-Aug-26 14:09:46

flowers

Dylis Thu 20-Aug-26 14:03:53

So very sorry for your loss.
My dear friend's husband died in February following a long illness. It was initially a great relief but she is now facing the reality of being a widow.
Sending much love xx

Chardy Thu 20-Aug-26 13:55:52

So sorry to hear you've lost him 🥀

Barleysugar Thu 20-Aug-26 13:54:29

My best wishes to you too HelterSkelter1 . 💐

I know exactly how you must be feeling, as my darling Husband died just 10 days ago too, after a long slow illness .
I will PM you.

Sueinkent Thu 20-Aug-26 10:47:04

I am so sorry. 🌹

Thisismyname1953 Thu 20-Aug-26 07:06:05

My thoughts are with you 💐

nexus63 Thu 20-Aug-26 02:34:01

i am so sorry for your loss, i still miss my husband 22 years after loosing him, i was his carer for 7 years, he had a virus in his brain, he had a fall and was taken to hospital on saturday, i went to collect him next day but he had passed out and they gave him a drug that caused a massive bleed, i had to switch the machine off next day as he was brain dead, i still carry the guilt even though we had talked about it and i had promised not to leave him like that. i had to leave the house we had as i could not cope staying there without him. i was 39 at the time. sometimes you never get over it. i wish you well and sending hugs.

HelterSkelter1 Wed 19-Aug-26 22:48:44

Thank you so much everyone. It has really helped to read your posts. What a lot of us there are. And I am a new girl in the club.
Thank you again for your comments.

Today has been another day of phone calls and I have been treated so kindly by many. Off to bed now. Hope to sleep better as I am really tired.

AnotherLiz Wed 19-Aug-26 22:26:39

I am so sorry for your loss HelterSkelter. Sending my deepest condolences 💐

Cath9 Wed 19-Aug-26 20:35:50

That is of course sad to read about your husband’s death. It will be difficult for a while but after his funeral and his Will sorted you will then be able to slowly feel better.
My late hudband also died suddenly after experiencing many strong pains. I also felt it was the best for him.

Grandma600 Wed 19-Aug-26 19:06:52

💐
Heartfelt condolences to you x