Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Flying

(40 Posts)
Parky Sun 09-Aug-26 19:15:12

I live on a small island and have never flown internationally on my own. Nor have I ever been via Heathrow.

Unfortunately due to recent circumstances I have to fly to Heathrow then onwards to usa.

My question is I'm 81 and although am mobile I worry about negotiating Heathrow and Chicago lugging a suitcase etc. Should I request assistance?

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated

Aveline Wed 12-Aug-26 08:15:59

Just returned from Heathrow. I must say it was easy to find my way through but also the place seemed full of nice people in purple tops just to help people. All staff were unfailingly kind and helpful to a highly stressed traveller after BA cancelled my long haul flight at last minute late at night.
Summary: Heathrow not as bad a feared. BA: 😡😡😡

DeeDe Wed 12-Aug-26 00:38:05

Definitely book assisted, Heathrow can be a nightmare
And make sure you get and do the leg exercises for such long flights.

SiobhanSharpe Tue 11-Aug-26 22:30:16

Good news, @Parky. Hope you have an easy flight and a stress free trip.
Fyi I think you only need to book the special assistance 24 hours before
your departure but it’s probably best not to leave it too late!

Parky Tue 11-Aug-26 18:51:36

I have now arranged assistance for outward and return. It has taken some of the worry out of the trip.

This getting old is a tough journey. Have travelled on my own without a second thought. But was younger and legs didn't ache

CV2020 Tue 11-Aug-26 18:48:11

Definitely book assistance through your airline as soon as you have booked your flight. I started using assistance in February 2026. Both in the UK and abroad. It makes a big difference to the airport experience and in general the assistance staff are very helpful. You font have to be over 60 to use this service and remember some disabilities are not obvious.

Bluesmum Tue 11-Aug-26 17:38:12

Definitely book assisted travel. It is free and works wonderfully, I could not manage any other way. I go to Australia from Heathrow every year and even with assistance, at 85 I now find it a very stressful experience but with wheelchair assistance and someone to handle my luggage , jump the queues and cut the waiting times the whole experience is made so much easier. Have a pleasant trip

Bagcarrier Tue 11-Aug-26 17:06:19

Yes I would book assistance. You will only be carrying hand luggage after check- in but some of the gates are a 10-15 minute walk from the terminal so unless you are up for that, assisted boarding makes sense.

Bamm Tue 11-Aug-26 17:02:57

Parky I have a son in the USA and have flown from Heathrow many times. Definitely check in your luggage as sometimes the distance to the departure terminal is a long way to walk. I think the departure terminal depends upon the airline that you are flying with. I fly with American Airlines as I land in North Carolina.
I have seen people being escorted from the departure lounge to the aircraft, usually in wheelchairs. They seem to be very well looked after. If you need help do book it as soon as possible and certainly before you travel. I am 79 and am able to walk to the plane, but it can seem a long way to passport and baggage check upon return after a night flight.

Greciangirl Tue 11-Aug-26 16:53:42

Parky.

You need to book assistance when you book your flight .

Babamaman Tue 11-Aug-26 16:15:19

Definitely request assistance! On arrival getting on and off planes, collecting luggage, transfers. Nothing is too much trouble for them, and makes travelling so much more comfortable

Jojo1950 Tue 11-Aug-26 15:13:08

Yes I would book assistance. 💐

graciemabel Tue 11-Aug-26 15:05:05

I'd never flown on my own but a few years ago while living in beautiful New Zealand I flew from Palmeston North to Aukland, Aukland to Hong Kong, from there to Heathrow, then by car to Oxford, spent afternoon with family in Reading, then train to Cardiff, then on to West Wales by car. The thought of doing the whole return journey filled me with dread but it all went fine. Don't think I would even contemplate it now!! My claim to fame was that a nervous stomach meant I had to use the toilet in 3 different countries in one day!

Spec1alk Tue 11-Aug-26 14:54:29

Please request assistance from your departure airport, your transit airport and your arrival airport. It will help to make your journey easier.

4allweknow Tue 11-Aug-26 14:29:27

I've been flying on my own for 4 years since DH died. Don't worry you'll be fine. Plenty signs at airports to help navigate. Used assistance for DH and I found the service pretty mixed. Usually have to find the flipping assistance station which can be at the entrance or within airport. Check location with airline when you book. Found BA the best but was 5 years ago.

MayBee70 Tue 11-Aug-26 14:05:53

Gosh this is worth knowing. Because my walking is very laboured these days I’ve been scared of the thought of travelling anywhere. What about flying back from your destination though; can you get assistance for that too?

SiobhanSharpe Tue 11-Aug-26 13:56:28

I don’t walk that well, I am slow and use a stick so I do book assistance at airports because Very often there is A LOT of walking. Even without changing flights.
It is very easy, efficient, free and an absolute godsend. In fact I’d probably be happy to pay a small charge. DH, a very brisk walker, supports me completely in this. (well, I no longer hold him up!)

ferry23 Mon 10-Aug-26 19:55:25

Don't even think twice. Book assistance.

MT62 Mon 10-Aug-26 19:41:17

Yes absolutely 💯 The airport staff will look after you.

Grammaretto Mon 10-Aug-26 19:32:17

It's hard on a long haul to avoid a big airport.
I flew Qatar Airlines because they fly out of Edinburgh so I could get there easily and a friend picked me up on the way back.

It was the lack of sleep i couldn't sleep on that first flight combined with the strangeness of travelling alone apart from sitting beside a Glasgow taxi driver who was travelling home to Pakistan and drinking his way to oblivion.
If I go again and I would like to, I would be better prepared and maybe break the journey. 😁

You and I could go together BlueBelle ? 😉

Parky Mon 10-Aug-26 08:34:47

Thank you all so much for your advice very much appreciated.

Yes I'm going to ask for assistance it will put my mind at rest. The thought of travelling alone is bad enough without worrying about finding check in gate etc

JackyB Mon 10-Aug-26 08:19:36

I love flying and people-watching at airports. But if you're not used to it, definitely ask for assistance.

Keep your luggage to a minimum. You're not leaving the planet!!*. If you're going to stay with friends or family you will be able to wash clothes. Also, most American hotels have washing machines and dryers, so just take enough for 5-6 days.

You don't need a whole suitcase full of stuff on the flight, but do pop a spare pair of pants, socks, and your toothbrush, face cream and all medications in your handbag. Soap, shampoo and towels will be provided wherever you are staying.

Make sure you have good advice regarding how to pack liquids, rechargeables, etc., and how to fill in the ESTA application. Possibly from the travel agent or from frequent flyer friends, neighbours or relatives. (Apologies if you've already done all this.

If your luggage doesn't arrive with you, make sure you report it immediately and get a reference number to quote for further enquiries.

Don't let the immigration staff in Chicago intimidate you. I have never had this problem but I have heard some of them can be draconian . Getting through immigration can take anything from 10 minutes to 3 hours. So go to the loo as soon as you land!

And don't be scared to ask people to help.you around Heathrow before you are picked up. That would daunt even me. (Where possible, I avoid the big airports). O'Hare is probably huge as well, but getting out is usually easier as there is only one way to go.

Have a safe journey!

*having said that, if you were leaving the planet, I have heard that the personal luggage limit is 180 grammes!!

BlueBelle Mon 10-Aug-26 07:50:05

Gramaratto last time I flew to NZ I was in my 70 s and found it all way too much, especially when the gates were changed twice with little time between changes at Tokyo. My son knows I won’t go again and he ll have to come and see me if he wants in the future
I flew last year to Europe to see my youngest and that was a total nightmare I wrote about it on GN so won’t go into it again
but even Stansted that I know well, is bigger and busier and scary to me now. I have had some difficult experiences flying in the past it rarely seems to go to plan with delays etc I know the time has come I need to stay at home I know some 90 year olds fly across the world but I m not one of them

Retread Mon 10-Aug-26 07:12:39

Aveline for next time (if it applies to you), the video I posted above says anyone over 60 qualifies for assistance if they feel they need it. Good luck today!

Aveline Mon 10-Aug-26 06:18:50

I'm going through Heathrow today. Am dreading it. It seems quite a short time between flights. Just have to hope for the best. Didn't book assistance as didn't feel I qualified for it. Am wide awake very early and flooded with adrenaline!

nanna8 Mon 10-Aug-26 02:01:28

Definitely book assistance. You will normally board first but the downside is you might be the last to get off the plane. I haven’t done it but many friends have and they say it is worthwhile.