Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Shoes!!

(56 Posts)
dollydaydream68 Tue 05-May-26 15:28:41

I've been sorting through my wardrobe, putting heavy winter clothes away.
Got to the shoes. Oh dear, must have counted at least 15 pairs of assorted sandals and flip flops.
Got me wondering, how many do you have ?
Some are old friends I've had for years.smile

win Wed 06-May-26 13:59:50

I have 3 pairs of trainers I wear all the time, 1 pair of sandals and 1 pair of slippers end of, why would you need so many shoes,????

DamaskRose Wed 06-May-26 12:19:14

I thought ten max -
1 pair FlyLondon boots
1 pair Barefoot boots
1 pair Sorel boots
1 pair Ugg boots
1 pair (ancient) navy loafers
1 pair (ditto) black loafers
1 pair Birkenstock shoes
2 pairs Birkenstock sandals (slippers)
1 pair sheepskin slippers
2 pairs suede clogs
2 pairs crocs
1 pair sandals
1 pair “smart” navy shoes
1 pair ditto black shoes
1 pair Skechers (bought reluctantly for a weekend break soon). I’m not a trainer person, I wish I was …
18 pairs!!!
I have one really “difficult” foot and find shoe buying stressful. Most of these shoes rarely see the light of day …

kircubbin2000 Wed 06-May-26 11:47:32

I have a friend who has 2 pairs of shoes. I find her very strange.

fancyflowers Wed 06-May-26 09:20:47

About 15 pairs, including slippers and boots. I regularly wear one pair of trainers and one pair of slippers, and the rest are in an over door holder as we don't have much space.

I wear wellies for gardening whatever the weather, but only because they're easy to slip on and off.

CanadianGran Tue 05-May-26 21:53:06

Yes, I know I have too many as well. I have a few pairs of boots in the front closet that I didn't wear at all this winter, so they will be donated.

I'm just wearing sandals for the first time this week, and I have 5 pairs, some a bit dressier than others. Trainers tend to be used for exercise until they show some wear, then get put by the back door for dog walking or yard work, so only 2 pairs.

Dressier shoes/heeled sandals tend to last for years since they don't get a lot of wear, but I think about 6 pairs in different colours or styles. I was embarrassed last year when invited out for an evening do and my wedge slides fell apart, the top became totally unglued from the sole. Ladies with tape in the kitchen did a spot repair for me! Once again, this was not a case of a shoe wearing out, but rather the glue falling apart because of age. Too bad, because they were very comfortable!

Casdon Tue 05-May-26 21:39:32

I can’t bear to think about it. I’ve got five pairs just for gardening in - wellies, winter waterproof fur lined boots, clogs, spongy sandals for watering in, and a pair of grotty old trainers for up on the bank because they are the safest.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 05-May-26 20:55:02

My DH has no idea of the numbers of my footwear, and there is no way I am owning up on a public forum 🫣🫣🫣

TillyTrotter Tue 05-May-26 20:41:10

I’ve culled all footwear I never wear and am left with …

1 pair of well worn comfy walking shoes
3 pairs suede boots
5 pairs sandals
3 pairs slippers
4 pairs trainers
No flip flops

The walking shoes and 1 pair of boots have given me trusty service over more than 10 years.

twiglet77 Tue 05-May-26 20:36:19

Also, only 10 of those were bought new. I got all my Uggs from eBay because people get the sizing wrong (eg brought back as gifts from the US), and I’ve had some super bargains from charity shops.

twiglet77 Tue 05-May-26 20:30:35

I don’t think of myself as a lover of buying shoes, but I tend to keep them until they literally can’t be worn. I’d have had a quick guess at 10 but I’ve just counted and have 33 pairs!

That includes:
3 pairs of Ugg slippers
3 pairs of Ugg short boots
Long and short wellies
Long Dubarry and short ankle boots
3 pairs of flip flops
Birkenstock, Ecco and sparkly sandals
3 pairs of loafers
3 pairs of Converse
3 pairs of trainers
2 pairs of hiking shoes
2 pairs of MOTB shoes, worn once
2 pairs of wedge sandals that are too high
Cheap clogs at the front and back door

Better get on Vinted, but there are memories attached to lots of these.

Rocketstop2 Tue 05-May-26 19:34:27

dollydaydream68

I've been sorting through my wardrobe, putting heavy winter clothes away.
Got to the shoes. Oh dear, must have counted at least 15 pairs of assorted sandals and flip flops.
Got me wondering, how many do you have ?
Some are old friends I've had for years.smile

A bit off topic BUT 'Putting winter clothes away' I just looked at the rest of the week's forecast..frosts, cold temps and possible wintery showers ! I hope you live in the far south...if not, shove those flip flops to the back of the wardrobe for a bit longer wink

Silvershadow Tue 05-May-26 19:30:07

More than I dare count to be honest. I think I might have to get rid of some soon. I tend to have more summer shoes as it’s usually boots in autumn/winter.

valdali Tue 05-May-26 19:18:38

I have 11 pairs (+ slippers).
Sounds like I need to buy some more! I love buying shoes but I walk funny & wear them out, that's probably why I don't have as many as most of you.

Cossy Tue 05-May-26 19:17:28

Probably about 8 pairs of sketchers trainers, 2 pairs of sketchers sandals, 4 pairs of boots, couple of slip on sliders, 2 pairs of slippers. All other shoes already given away or waiting to be given away as I cannot do heels anymore.

fancythat Tue 05-May-26 18:49:03

A relative said for me not to tell people her shoe count!

Myself, quite reasonable in that area.
Nothing like some of the figures on here.

Norah Tue 05-May-26 18:40:10

I wear trainer to dog walk dog, clean pair for in the house. Birkenstock sandals (hard footbed), various leather loafers and clogs everyday, and heels to Church, boots to hike and ski. 67 pair.

Sago Tue 05-May-26 16:45:13

I had a cull when we moved last year so I am down to just about 40 pairs of shoes and boots😬.

I do look after my footwear, I also buy classic loafers, Chelsea boots etc, I have foot wear that is 30 years old.

Oreo Tue 05-May-26 16:30:07

MissAdventure

Yes, i sold a pair of lovely red shoes on ebay, Oreo.
The buyer got in touch with me and sent pictures of the soles, crumbled to bits.

Mine were red too! And so was my face 🤭

Elrel Tue 05-May-26 16:27:21

I contacted Ecco regarding disintegrating soles and was sent a voucher for replacement shoes. Otherwise I have been very satisfied with Ecco for many years.

MissAdventure Tue 05-May-26 16:13:22

Yes, i sold a pair of lovely red shoes on ebay, Oreo.
The buyer got in touch with me and sent pictures of the soles, crumbled to bits.

MissAdventure Tue 05-May-26 16:10:49

I cannot get any of my sandals on at all.
I think I'll have to browse the Chums magazine for strap extenders.

Oreo Tue 05-May-26 16:09:21

It’s lots of makes MissAdventure it’s those black soles made of polyurethane I think, if they’re not walked on regularly they dry out and fall to bits, very embarrassing!

kircubbin2000 Tue 05-May-26 16:07:40

So many of mine are new . Kept for special occasions and now unwearable due to foot problems. My grandson got £50 on vinted for some new boots. I must give him some more as none of my family have feet on that size.

MissAdventure Tue 05-May-26 16:06:33

Ooh yes.
The soles that just turn almost to powder?!
There's been a chat about this ages ago, and we narrowed it down to a particuar brand, i think.

(I think it may have been hotter?)

Oreo Tue 05-May-26 15:59:59

Since recently wearing a pair of old shoes in good condition that disintegrated on me, I’m making sure I don’t have shoes that I hardly wear.😬